Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
New EV driver
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a CYC card paid my £20 and was enjoying charging for free around the town I live as all the many CYC points are free to use. So when they sent the email only 2 weeks after i signed up saying they were going to start charging me £1 to charge on the free charge points I told them to shove it and give me my £20 back as not worth using them as it doesnt cost much more at home to charge.

I have since decided to sign up to the 6 months free polar plus trial as even when that is over £8 a month is going to work out better for me but I seem to be having some issues and have a couple of questions. i would ask in the main forum but they generally seem to be Leaf driving RX car haters hence me asking im here.

Firstly i have had the card since Saturday and its still not working on the CYC points in town which is worrying. I called them yesterday and they said it would take another day for my card to be on all of the white lists but guess what still not working tonight and when i called the help lines no one could help (brilliant). So does anyone have any advice here? I will call them again tomorrow when the customer service people are in but wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Second question is I'm starting to wonder if they always charge 9p per KWh as well as the £8 a month, if this is the case then I'm better off with CYC for the odd charge when I'm out and about, again any experience would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
213 Posts
With Polar+ posts will either be 9p (+VAT) or free. It depends on the post refer to the Polar map to see what the posts you intend to use charge.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The free CYC posts will be free using your Polar card, just the £8 per month once that kicks in, whereas they'll be £1 using your CYC card.

When you first use your Polar card on a CYC post, I've found it takes multiple times for it to be authorised. I go through the sequence of touching card on one side, get instant not authorised, touch on other side, get the countdown, touch on 1st side again, get countdown on that side too.
1st countdown gets to zero and I get not authorised, I immediately tap card again to start another countdown.
2nd countdown on 1st side gets to zero and I get another not authorised, and repeat alternating sides.
After about 5 countdowns, one side or the other authorises and I get an open flap (sometimes followed by the other side too).

After that palaver, the post recognises my card straight away from then on. This has happened to every post I've visited that's new to my Polar card. Did it at Marske initially, also at Captain Cooks Middlesbrough, Belmont House Guisborough, and I also did the same at Pinchinthorpe even tough the posts are showing Meter Reading Failure, as I guess it'll save the card for when the post is eventually fixed, and I was there anyway.

So my advice would be to repetitively keep trying your card on the post until it accepts it.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The issue is, with my usage at those prices I prefer risking falling over to petrol.
CYC maybe, but I doubt I'd get 20 charges. That's a charge every other week. And that's about 50p/kwh.
Polar works out at 2.40/kwh payg for me.

I just can't justify these prices for a slow charge rex.
P's I've just used the app so can't commentioned on cards

·
New EV driver
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so after another call yesterday i can finally charge my car at my local CYC point this morning! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
The free CYC posts will be free using your Polar card, just the £8 per month once that kicks in, whereas they'll be £1 using your CYC card.

When you first use your Polar card on a CYC post, I've found it takes multiple times for it to be authorised. ......
So my advice would be to repetitively keep trying your card on the post until it accepts it.

That might explain my challenges with CYC posts Garry although yesterday in Alnwick i tried both outlets repeatedly with. Card and fob I ended up calling Polar and they have forwarded to CYC. Thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
@murphdub I had a similar problem at Stockton - no matter how many times I tried, no job. I moved to a different charger in another car park, and that worked first time. Someone suggested that some of the older posts have whitelists of cards sent to them, and that CYC have to send the updated whilelist to these posts. This might be the issue you had in Alnwick. It's just a mess!

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
With Polar+ posts will either be 9p (+VAT) or free. It depends on the post refer to the Polar map to see what the posts you intend to use charge.
I tend to use a lot of free ones, so my cost for the last year on Polar Plus has mainly been the subs. Over the year I think it worked out less than 10p/kWh in total and a lot less than using petrol. My subs was used to charge the B Class a few times too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Th
@murphdub I had a similar problem at Stockton - no matter how many times I tried, no job. I moved to a different charger in another car park, and that worked first time. Someone suggested that some of the older posts have whitelists of cards sent to them, and that CYC have to send the updated whilelist to these posts. This might be the issue you had in Alnwick. It's just a mess!
Thanks Garry. It is not just me then. I do recall that in trying to use a charge point near Newcastle Airport (Callerton Metro) some months ago, I encountered the same problem. After numerous telephone calls to free it up I could eventually use it but it took 5 days!

·
New EV driver
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so far touch wood they all seem to have worked for the last couple of weeks, i think it just takes time for them to update all the posts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts