Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just failed to use one of these at a Holiday Inn.
The whole setup is flawed. A rapid charger should be somewhere you stay for a short time, like a service station. Most people would stay at a Holiday Inn overnight. So the clever people at Polar put one single rapid in the Holiday Inn car park instead of a bank of 7kw chargers. That's OK, because it's Wednesday night and the place is deserted, so I'll just plug it in and leave it over night. But no! Polar are going to charge me £10 PER HOUR if I leave it plugged in for more than 90 minutes. So after my late night drive to a hotel for work, I'm supposed to go and get into bed then come outside at midnight in my PJs to unplug the car and move it, lest I am charged £80.

This is the kind of thing that puts people off EVs. All Holiday Inn needs is a row of slow chargers (even 3-pin plugs!) that people can plug in and leave overnight. Now I'll have to stop on the way home tomorrow. Sort it out Polar / H.I.

Rant over.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you're a guest at the hotel just plug in early morning before you grab breakfast or something? I don't actually think they really added the rapid charger for the benefit of people at the hotel though, and rather it was just a deal that Polar scored to install chargers nationwide. A lot of them in my experience seem to be just a minute or two off motorways so it's a good alternative to Ecotricity many times.

It would have been nice to see a 3kW/7kW AC post or two beside these rapid chargers I agree, but I'm not convinced they would actually see much use. I've plugged in at Pod Points at hotels before and been told I'm the first person to ever use them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you'd be in Catch-22 if you didn't put the AC chargers in because people might not use them. No one will use them if they're not there. The number of EVs is only going to increase, so I think it makes good business sense for a hotel to be ahead of the curve, so that people will see how easy it is to charge, and that will help push them towards EVs.

After using the Tesla Superchargers it's really easy to see how this strategy works. You don't have to think, you don't have to plan ahead, you don't have to fiddle with a little screen in the dark - you just go there, plug in and forget it. If only other networks were so easy!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think you need to tweet Holiday Inn about this, don't you? (No-one seems to take any notice of letters nowadays.)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you need to tweet Holiday Inn about this, don't you? (No-one seems to take any notice of letters nowadays.)
Yes - I have done and will keep doing! Amazes me that one of the big chains don't roll this out in all of their hotels. The first one that did would become the go-to choice for everyone with an EV.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Agreed, overnight hotel guests just need a slower AC post and I always ask when I stay somewhere in the hope they get the message.

I quite like the Polar rapids at hotels if I'm going to stop to 30+ minutes on a journey, nicer to stop and have a coffee there than a busy motorway services.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know people may get tired after a long car trip. But by the time you plugged in. Got your bags. Checked in and found your room thats a easy 30-45 mins then you can just unplug and move. I think the maximum time should be 45mins. As it's horrible wait or to keep moving on to the next rapid. That's also why I like 2 rapid at one location.
But totaly agree there should be a few type 2 posts installed now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts