Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have difficulty in getting the DC charge to work on the polar chargers? It's an old charge your car machine, but for some reason the DC doesn't work on my i3

It goes through the check cycle successfully and beins to charge for a matter of seconds before stopping.

It seems to bring up a plethora of error codes, sometimes blaming the car, sometimes stating emergency stop and sometimes the car stating charge error.

Strangely the AC one always works perfectly, there are two machines and I tried both!

·
Registered
238 Posts
There seem to be a few old CYC chargers, adopted by Polar that don't work with our Kia Soul. Usually fails on the safety check. Modern Polar Ultra chargers have always be fine.
We use Plugshare & Zap-Map to identify which type of Polar unit it is and avoid the old CYC ones.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Oh those old Polar chargers (old CYC) are terribly unreliable.

I have had issues at two of my local chargers in Sussex. I did manage to get one repaired by calling the number on the charger and then logging a fault, so deff give them a call.

The other charger near my house is owned by the council, CYC said it’s nothing to do with them, I then called the installers number on the charger and they said the CHAdeMO is beyond repair and it will need a whole new unit, and it’s up to the council to pay.

However the CCS was still working on the unit!

The whole system is a complete mess and really undermines any new user of electric cars.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,101 Posts
I’m assuming these are the old DBT chargers you’re talking about? The same ones that Ecotricity have?

They have known issues with CCS and they simply don’t work most of the time. Don’t bother even trying them unless you have a car that uses Chademo (or AC43)

Try to still to Polar’s new Ultracharge units or other networks except Ecotricity. Pretty much any other company is good for CCS charging. Instavolt, if they are where you need them are super simple and reliable. But if you’re taking advantage of a Polar Plus membership you will have to pay separately to use them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts