Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the Polar ecosystem such an utter shambles?

I came across two new units today in Malpas Rd, Newport. For starters, there was total ambiguity about price.

Label 1 said 'Our free vend will shortly be coming to and end....
Label 2 said 'Contactless payments will be charged at 40p/kw'

I thought I'd give it a go as I have Polar Instant credit. Logged into the app. The units ARE NOT ON THE MAP.
Went to the map on the BP Chargemaster Polar page. the units ARE ON THE MAP

Thought I'd give it a go. Plugged in. 'Start' button did nothing.
Tapped card on reader. Bleeped. Nothing.
Rang ' we are here to help 24/7 number'. No answer.

Gave up and went to Ecotricity.

What a joke.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Were you using the Polar Instant or the BP Chargemaster app? If the former, then that has now been dropped, they just don't like letting people know about it unless you ring support. As such new charging units probably will not appear on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well that would explain it. They might have told me?
I only found out when I rang then because the app was hanging when trying to start a charge. Customer support I find is great if/when you get through, but who ever manages the website .... - also they really should send sticker packs to the hosting sites to give updated information.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Were you using the Polar Instant or the BP Chargemaster app? If the former, then that has now been dropped, they just don't like letting people know about it unless you ring support. As such new charging units probably will not appear on it.
Useful tip, thanks.
I hope they use the same login account so I don’t loose the credit they made me pay in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Useful tip, thanks.
I hope they use the same login account so I don’t loose the credit they made me pay in.
I had to re-reguster however it matched email addresses and moved everything across. Only catch was Polar support had remote kicked off a charge on the Polar Instant account and I did this during that time, so by the end I had credit on the new account and a debit on the old one .... - not sure if they would have chased me but I rang up the next working day and it was quickly tidied up.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,338 Posts
I had several issues too. The new 150kW units are only on BP app. I was travelling to Frinton last weekend and used one at Chelmsford and other at Colchester on the way back.
The BP app was taking forever and ended up using contactless. Might just uninstall it all and go contactless all the way.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had several issues too. The new 150kW units are only on BP app. I was travelling to Frinton last weekend and used one at Chelmsford and other at Colchester on the way back.
The BP app was taking forever and ended up using contactless. Might just uninstall it all and go contactless all the way.
Contactless is quicker to get charging, just be aware that if you need receipts then it's a pain to get hold of them through the contactless payment route.

Reactions: Hermit Dave

·
Registered
296 Posts
On a related note. With the new app i no longer get the polar instant prices displayed (e.g. [email protected] and [email protected]). It's now the same as contactless (30p and 40p).

Is this the same for everyone? They've effectively killed polar instant?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,235 Posts
They've effectively killed polar instant?
IMO it's always been their desire to do away, or discourage the use of, Instant. It's never been reliable. It downloads every Polar charger before opening the app. I once stood for an hour trying to get a charger in a Birmingham car park with absolutely no joy. Their aim is for you to use the subscription service. It's steady money with no need for anyone to start a charge. It's the same reason why so many networks give cheaper charging if you put money in the pot before charge.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On a related note. With the new app i no longer get the polar instant prices displayed (e.g. [email protected] and [email protected]). It's now the same as contactless (30p and 40p).

Is this the same for everyone? They've effectively killed polar instant?
Think this came in a few weeks back. When you select the charger you will see the correct price. Bit confusing, think they are looking at a single app that can be used without either of the membership options as it will also be covering Polar Plus at some point (or so the app says). I found out today the latest update has brought in a decent summary page when you end a charge.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,627 Posts
I don't think it is that simple. BP might be trying to discourage the use of Instant, but it is still on their website, both the app and description of the service.

Comparing the maps, shows a clear difference as a lot of chargers don't show on Instant.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
626 Posts
I've an Instant account. I installed the BP Chargemaster app and when I entered my login it transferred the Instant account details and balance. Was then charged the Instant rate. I've now deleted the Polar Instant app and all is working fine. Interestingly, the BP Chargemaster app shows some rapids that aren't shown on the Polar Instant app.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
524 Posts
I had no idea this had happened, just installed the BP Chargemaster app, and used my Polar instant email, and it all went through OK and transferred my PI balance.

So is it necessary to keep the PI app, or can that be safely deleted now?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,627 Posts
Is there any benefit to using BP Chargemaster instead of Polar Instant app?

As far as I can see the points available on BP Chargemaster (and not available on PI) are mostly other networks, that you still can't access through chargemaster?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is there any benefit to using BP Chargemaster instead of Polar Instant app?

As far as I can see the points available on BP Chargemaster (and not available on PI) are mostly other networks, that you still can't access through chargemaster?
The Polar Instant app is no longer being supported and a lot of us found it no longer works properly. Really Polar ought to take it off the various app stores and send emails to their registered customers advising them of the change.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,627 Posts
The Polar Instant app is no longer being supported and a lot of us found it no longer works properly. Really Polar ought to take it off the various app stores and send emails to their registered customers advising them of the change.
I'm sorry, but can you point me to where does it say the PI app is no longer supported? It is still on BP Chargemaster website, where there is no mention of BP Chargemaster app:unsure:
Not trying to be difficult, but I used the app last weekend in Cardiff, no problems, all worked as it should. Again, that is not to say that it has worked always.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up @MikEyV I didn't know the app had changed, as I use the RFID all the time.
The app is common for Polar-Plus and Polar Instant, but you have to register with the app, you can't just login with your Polar-Plus details. Once you've clicked register, it then asks if you're a Polar member, and to register with the same email address, and then your details are pulled over.

The app is linked to from the BP Chargemaster site here:

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,627 Posts
Just to prove a point, I installed BP app, logged in using my PI creds. It seemed to work, did pick up my credit from the PI. And as I explored the map, clicked on the nearest charger to my location and the BP app crashes... Twice...:ROFLMAO::LOL:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts