Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got the Polar Plus card so it's still on its 6 month trial.
When I spoke to Chargemaster prior to ordering the card I was sold the idea that the Polar Plus card could be used at CYC points as well as Chargemaster. Great, I thought, I can cancel renewal of the CYC card next time.
I've since discovered that I can't use the Polar Plus card in Scotland, it has to be Chargeplace Scotland/CYC.
Today I went to the Trafford Centre and the GMEV/CYC posts wouldn't accept the Polar card. So I'll need to keep the CYC card after all.
Does anyone know of any other CYC joint operated units that won't accept Polar?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I could not get those cyc points to work there either. There is an asda next door tho,about half a mile which is on polar and works well for me

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could not get those cyc points to work there either. There is an asda next door tho,about half a mile which is on polar and works well for me
I know, but I love the convenience of just plugging in at the destination. It's a different story plugging in 1/2 mile away and asking the family to walk across a busy road in the wind and rain.
I think I'll just have to renew the CYC card after all. It's the Polar £8/m card that's in doubt for me at the moment!

·
Zoe Devotee
8,316 Posts
CYC app is fee and will work at most CPS points. If data connection is poor their is a dial in number on each post to activate that way (you could use a phonebox if necessary)

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,627 Posts
It can take a little while for new Polar card details to filter through into CYC posts, so it's worth trying in a couple of weeks.

That said, there are some things to point out:
  • CYC posts that are older or no longer being serviced actively won't be updated with Polar card details - this notably includes the 3-pin Elektromotive posts in my experience.
  • ChargePlace Scotland is actually a separate network to CYC. CYC members can use it because CYC are contracted to operate the posts and as part of this have a roaming agreement, but not Polar members.
  • Polar and CYC are separate companies and networks even though Chargemaster/Polar own CYC, hence why the benefits are not reciprocal.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CYC app is fee and will work at most CPS points. If data connection is poor their is a dial in number on each post to activate that way (you could use a phonebox if necessary)
Good to know, thanks. In fact I'm only likely to visit Scotland about once a year (unless we emigrate up there to avoid Brexit) so that wouldn't drive my decision on its own. Local to me (Cheshire) most chargepoints are accessible via CYC. I've tried the app a couple of times and not had much luck with it. Since I got their card I've never had an issue.
I was just wondering if, with the Polar Plus card I could drop the CYC card, but clearly not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts