Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked the latest Auto Express, and in it was a brief article on the new Polestar 2, from Volvo's luxury arm. Looks impressive, and seems like it could be a credible alternative to the Tesla Model 3. Similar price to the M3, and has a very slightly larger capacity battery, although the range is stated as being 50 or so miles less than the Tesla. The article says that the Polestar has an interior of higher quality than the M3, and has much the same performance. Should be good.

Taking many of it's design cues from Volvo, it should be a popular alternative to the M3........ I actually prefer the Polestar's looks over the Tesla's.

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
Of course they still have to ship one yet.

Not sure why competing with Tesla is the key - they have enough in their current market they can keep within the Volvo brand.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And that's where the bread and butter market is Tooks, so I'm sure we'll see development there for sure. The EV market is still pretty much finding it's feet, although it is slowly broadening.

Volvo have never really been at the lower end of the market as such, so I guess they're simply pitching the Polestar at their usual clientele........ Whether the Polstar is actually credible competition for Tesla is probably for buyers to decide. I may be wrong, but some Volvo customers - or potential customers - may not be seduced by the Tesla's charms, as good as it undoubtedly is.......

·
Registered
16,899 Posts
And that's where the bread and butter market is Tooks, so I'm sure we'll see development there for sure. The EV market is still pretty much finding it's feet, although it is slowly broadening.
What’s the likelihood they only ever sell enough to offset emissions in the rest for their fleet?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'd be tempted to direct that question to Volvo themselves..........

At least Volvo are trying. The likes of P & O and huge airlines the World over, don't seem to have got the emissions message yet.......

But their time will arrive eventually..........

·
Registered
147 Posts
I really wanted a Polestar 2, had a deposit and was fairly anti tesla. Even without test driving one, I've come around and ordered an M3. Other manufacturers like Polestar are promising a lot but delivering very little, on many levels.

The draw of the tesla charging network is massive, as is the OTA updates. I think it will even out over time but right now the M3 is a better prospect for many.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I really wanted a Polestar 2, had a deposit and was fairly anti tesla. Even without test driving one, I've come around and ordered an M3. Other manufacturers like Polestar are promising a lot but delivering very little, on many levels.

The draw of the tesla charging network is massive, as is the OTA updates. I think it will even out over time but right now the M3 is a better prospect for many.
Funnily enough I am at the opposite end and willing to wait for the P2 for 3-6 months. Charging is meaningless for me as will be all at home and P2 also say they will do OTA .
I agree that its not about competing with tesla but just having more choice. I spoke to tesla at the weekend as I realy need a hatchback and they said model Y is 2021 but no more specific than that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Funnily enough I am at the opposite end and willing to wait for the P2 for 3-6 months. Charging is meaningless for me as will be all at home and P2 also say they will do OTA .
I agree that its not about competing with tesla but just having more choice. I spoke to tesla at the weekend as I realy need a hatchback and they said model Y is 2021 but no more specific than that.
+1

Tesla maybe ahead in battery technology but they have some catching up to do regards quality.

For that reason alone I couldn’t buy any Tesla at the moment (leasing one is a different ball game as I wouldn't have to worry about the quality of it in two or three years time)

I doubt I would use a supercharger more than a couple of times per year so that has no draw whatsoever for me, what is important is a well built car with half decent performance (sub 7 seconds 0-60 would be absolutely fine), the other thing to consider is parts availability, owners waiting weeks for a replacement windscreen or a part that prevents the car from being driven is a joke (from ANY manufacturer).

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
815 Posts
What’s the planned production run?
I believe they plan to make 50,000 units of the Polestar 2 per year, although it will be fewer to start with - 20,000 in 2020. No idea what volume they're planning for subsequent cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts