Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently looking at these two for my parents.
Perhaps a bit of a mismatch in terms of what they're trying to be, but both are within budget.

The big downside of Polestar 2 is its size - my mum thinks she'd be nervous driving such a big car (she's used to a Golf).
There are some fun features on the ID3 tour, such as HUD.
I think they both have matrix headlights.
Not much testing of ID3 in the press, especially not the Tour version.
But in most respects, the Polestar 2 seems superior (although possibly needlessly so!).

Some of the aspects I'm struggling with on the comparison:
  • MMI - which has the best interface?
  • Noise - which is quietest at motorway speeds?

What else would be the "no brainer" reason to go for Polestar (or, indeed, ID3)

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Polestar will have the better interface.

ID.3 is apparently quieter.

Polestar has a bigger boot if important to you.

Polestar has a large sun roof if you like that.

Polestar can charge at 150kW compared to 100kW

Polestar looks better from the outside ... ok subjective but I can't see many people say the ID.3 is more than cute or functional.

ID.3 is very efficient and you can get the cheaper 62kw and 100kW charge very quickly as ...

ID.3 even though limited to 100kW has a very good charge speed so doesn't mater it has a smaller battery.

VW killed monkey's to test diesels emissions and they did the whole "diesel-gate" thing.

They are two different cars. I'd suggest get a test drive from each.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,039 Posts
Unless you are in a rush, wait to see what Bjorn has to say about the ID3. He has already done the Polestar,vI believe.

That will answer all your factual questions. I do believe in a test drive by those who will use the car. That's essential.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And they're test-driving the ID.3 this afternoon. Not sure about the Polestar test drives - they've signed up for one, but no idea when they will be actually doing them. Tesla M3 next week, I believe.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I would consider the smaller batter ID.3 after Bjorn's review / tests. This means there is a bigger price difference.

Also if you are considering the bigger battery with a heat pump, and the touring version with 125kW charging .... then the Model 3 SR should be on your consider list ... as range and charging seem to be important to you.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
They may find the Polestar quite cramped compared to the iD3 and M3. Definitely should test each one properly and see which they prefer as all are within their budget.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I actually liked the snug cosy feel of the Polestar. It's what I'm used to ... I also drive with my knee's flopping outward (very bow legged) ... and I like resting my left leg on the battery tunnel. Compared to open cabins my left leg doesn't know what to do and on a long drive I couldn't slouch like I could in my current ICE car.

Hence why it is important to get the longest test drive possible in all options.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We're looking at M3 LR, actually. The ID.3 seats have been judged "not that comfortable", with polestar best and Model 3 in between.
However, it's hard to know exactly what seat options are available and if theve've been sitting in the right one.
Cost is actually not such a big issue, as doing things through the business effectively means it's all half price.

·
Premium Member
11,312 Posts
I would consider the smaller batter ID.3 after Bjorn's review / tests. This means there is a bigger price difference.
Calling it that is confusing - you mean "medium" rather than the "large" battery - the "small" one won't initially be offered in UK.

If the OP parents have budget then I would recommend buying car with longer range, unless they really only do local journeys. We love our Model 3 but the Kona should also be on their list (unless they are real badge snobs) .

Personally I would not buy anything from VW but accept that everyone has different opinions. If someone is going to buy a VW then hopefully it can be electric. More EVs sold is a "good thing".

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Calling it that is confusing - you mean "medium" rather than the "large" battery - the "small" one won't initially be offered in UK.

If the OP parents have budget then I would recommend buying car with longer range, unless they really only do local journeys. We love our Model 3 but the Kona should also be on their list (unless they are real badge snobs) .

Personally I would not buy anything from VW but accept that everyone has different opinions. If someone is going to buy a VW then hopefully it can be electric. More EVs sold is a "good thing".
They're not badge snobs, but would like a "handsome" car. I think they've ruled out SUV and Compact SUVs, though (not sure why. If they could wait, I'd suggest the Skoda Enyaq). It'll probably be their last car as well while they're still competent to drive!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts