Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
The piece of kit which makes the most difference is the fitting of a heat pump. Model 3 doesn't have one, Polestar have responded to some fairly assertive customer feedback by confirming that the P2 will be fitted with a heat pump. With a heat pump preservation of range and comfort in winter gets easier. VW/BMW/Merc etc all fit heat pumps forcthis reason ...hth
A heat pump will not make any difference at the -15C quoted in the post above.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok so Polestar will be better without a heat pump? I think otherwise, as do BMW/VW etc. etc. Be daft if we all thought the same🙂

TM3 owners are reporting their cars now shedding range as temperatures fall, and Tesla do fit pumps to the S and X. Will they drop heat pumps from the new model Y? I think not.

I'm with Elon on this....

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
TM3 owners are reporting their cars now shedding range as temperatures fall, and Tesla do fit pumps to the S and X. Will they drop heat pumps from the new model Y? I think not.
There are no heat pumps in the S or X. They are bulky and add complexity for little actual gain in longer range cars.

Theres a considerable departure tax in EVs, so consumption may be high in short journeys (under an hour), as the car heats up. Not really a problem in daily use.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ok so Polestar will be better without a heat pump? I think otherwise, as do BMW/VW etc. etc. Be daft if we all thought the same🙂

I'm with Elon on this....
The S and X don't have heat pumps. No Tesla does and I doubt the Y will either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
😂 Ok, unlike the TM3, The S, X and odds on the Y are fitted with separate dedicated ‘battery heaters’ - to the ordinary jo these do exactly the same job as heat pumps that pump heat to the battery. The TM3 can only heat the battery using its motor, stationary or moving. Phew, hope that clears things up👍 😎

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh wow. Didn't realise the play store was built in. Could be a real game changer there. Having millions of independent developers doesn't necessarily mean you will get Tesla software beaters, but at least you'll have everything Tesla push out (e.g games or caroke) very quickly on this platform. This will also include things that Tesla just can't look into like offering Amazon services etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's gonna be limited to safe-driving-compatible apps. Needs to go through an approval process. But still interesting and promising, yes.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
It's gonna be limited to safe-driving-compatible apps. Needs to go through an approval process. But still interesting and promising, yes.
So basically means no-one is going to bother for such small volume.

Even Tesla don’t think they have the number of users required to support an App Store for the car.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Testing for any app developers is going to be interesting. Are Volvo proposing to provide hardware for this or do developers need to own a Polestar? :)

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
538 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Support for Android Auto is different from providing native apps. Or am I confused?
An Android Auto app is the same as a phone app.
Developers can add layout variations, specific to Android Auto. The app is a single file that contains a shared code base and multiple layouts for different screen formats and context (phone, tablet, vertical, horizontal, car...).

There are already cars with the Android Auto system. But it's used mainly for media apps and navigation. Car manufacturers still have to provide their own menus for car settings.
The Polestar is different because it's using Google's newest system, Android Automotive, which allow the car manufacturers to blend everything in a single unified interface, and skin it to their liking.

Volvo does not have any role to play in terms of app release cycle. Google is handling all of this.
Developers can use emulators to simulate any device on their computer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmm... The Play Store has always been available. But there's a difference...
The most common way to use Android Auto is to connect your phone to your car and the car's display becomes a "slave screen" for your phone, which is the one running Android Auto.
If you don't have a phone, you don't have Android Auto (and Play Store).

Since the Polestar will run the OS, no need for a phone.
Maybe that's why they say "built-in".

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
So if it’s running the OS and you install apps directly on the car, isn’t that different to Android Auto?

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
538 Posts
61 - 80 of 96 Posts