Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
If anyone's interested, here's a list I made of the features I am glad the Polestar 2 has, considering my own personal situation and experience.
Your preferences and needs may vary, I don't think there's a necessity to start a war over each point, please.

Hardware
Driver heads-up display
Hatchback trunk (easy access to boot, power-lift, foot detector)
World-renowned seats
Premium interior materials
Wireless phone charger
Proper exterior door handles
Proper interior door handles
Proper vents
Proper glove compartment
Proper auto wipers
Physical controls (Volume, Play / Pause, Front and Read Defrost)

Winter optimization
Heated steering wheel
Heated wiper blades
Framed windows
Protected rocker panels and wheel arches
Charge port looks weather-proof
Headlights high-pressure washers
Raised ground clearance
Ski hatch

Usability
360 cam view
Google Integration (calendar, etc)
Multiple waypoints navigation
Map displays all type of charging stations
All car settings can be voice controlled
Incoming messages can be read (text-to-speech)
Customizable main display
Big buttons and readable text
Speed limit sign recognition
Comes with free key fob
Rear passengers controls (heated seats, vents on/off)
Apple Car Play (i'm not interested but it's there)
SiriusXM

Things I expect and will hopefully get
Drip-proof hatchback gutter
Proper paint job
Rugged undercarriage free of textile composite
Reasonable insurance costs
Reasonable repair costs
Mature parts supply chain and service network / Short repair delays
Unflawed flash memory management

And one last point, still considering my own situation and reality.
The scarce long-distance trips I do are to visit my family (255km) and along the way, there are :
  • 16 Tesla Superchargers, in two spots, both close to midway
  • 30 DC fast chargers, scattered all along, good enough for me.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
538 Posts
In fairness to Tesla, they can use the Superchargers and the DC fast chargers. One thing the P2 definitely now beats the Model 3 on is towing capacity - 900kg Vs 1500k.

Apparently the P2 will also have a chilled glove compartment - not sure if the Model 3 does that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
"Big buttons and readable text" big thumbs up from me and one of my anti-tesla points.
Also good to see car-play as I was worried about the android in-car system and how it integrates with iphone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In fairness to Tesla, they can use the Superchargers and the DC fast chargers.
Sure, I was not comparing this as an advantage for the Polestar 2.
What I wanted to point out is that the supercharger network is not a key factor, in my case, where I live.
Living in the United States, I could have a different opinion.

There is indeed a 690$CAN Chademo adapter giving Tesla drivers access to all chargers.
It's working on the Model 3 only since july 2019 (firmware 2019.24) in my region.
And is currently out-of-stock...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also good to see car-play as I was worried about the android in-car system and how it integrates with iphone.
Just keep in mind it's not gonna be part of the system at launch. It will be added later via OTA update.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just keep in mind it's not gonna be part of the system at launch. It will be added later via OTA update.
Good point - hopefully 'later' will be better defined as we get closer to launch.

As an aside, has anyone seen any information on how many pre-orders have been received? Given that i read the 2020 capacity is 20,000 cars WW

·
538 Posts
I've had HUD before on Audis and it's brilliant. I don't know if it'll be available on the P2 though, as it's not an option on other CMA cars like the XC40.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It doesnt on the inside rear doors. It has silly Electric buttons, which I wouldnt trust as far as I could throw them if I slipped into a lake As OP said.
If you slip into a lake, there are mechanical latches to open the door without the button, for front doors.
But using those, you risk ruining the chrome trim with the window.
If you fall into a lake, I guess it doesn't matter.

But if you don't take the time to explain the system to a passenger new to the car, he'll probably look for something to pull (first instinct), find the latch and dent the trim.

I've read many stories like that.
People are even adding stickers to the button : Amazon.com: Tesla Model 3 Door Button Icon Stickers (Set of 8): Arts, Crafts & Sewing

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Anyone else who has pre-ordered getting impatient by the lack of updates from Polestar?

·
538 Posts
Yep. Seems strange that they've done so few press releases considering we are barely four months from the first customer deliveries. If a good alternative pops up before I confirm my order, I might be cancelling (Mach-E, Model Y, something from VAG)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I am getting really tempted by a used Model S with 4 year warranty. Something I had not considered till today. It will be a second car for family holidays and long distance trips so the extra storage capacity would be handy and the superchagers. Buying outright through my company, the cost over three or four years should be cheaper in depreciation than buying or leasing a P2 or M3. I have an egolf for around the city.

Is my logic sound? I still want a P2 badly but don’t think I can wait if they are delayed and also like getting an early ‘fix’!

81 - 96 of 96 Posts