Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

381 - 400 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had no interest in the Performance Pack until I read the Top Gear review. If the car rides as well on the standard suspension, I won't bother. If the Öhlins dampers make that much difference, I might be tempted.
For me the beauty of the P2 perfornance pack is that it will do what it says on the tin. This is not a pack for those who get their rocks off on ultimate speed, but is for those who enjoy a well designed and set up car, on road or track, with minimal roll or pitch where exiting a corner using a driver selected steering setup while applying power that reaches all four wheels is a feel good experience to be repeated as often as possible with a big smile on face😁

·
Registered
318 Posts
At the risk of bringing back the same argument; Other than unnecessarily outrageous acceleration, access to Superchargers, and 10% more range, what does the American car have that the Swedish one doesn't?
You mean Chinese one, not Swedish.
Quite a big list but for starters:
  • lower cost
  • more space
  • more range
  • better performance
  • supercharger network
  • better autopilot
  • better infotainment
  • regular over the air updates e.g. forthcoming performance and range increase
  • available in volume now across a range of cost and performance options not another year away
  • better looks

·
Registered
22 Posts
hmm, let's take another look at that list eh:
  • lower cost - nope, M3 P costs more
  • more space - less usable space in M3 due to poor design
  • more range - tbc, or not....
  • better performance - better 0-60 yes, better performance no
  • supercharger network - yes but no but not being extended and soon to be overfull of M3
  • better autopilot - not at all, and M3 owners being charged £6k for fsd which will not exist for at least another 10 years (naughty Elon)
  • better infotainment - lol
  • regular over the air updates e.g. forthcoming performance and range increase - ota updates on all P2 from launch
  • available in volume now across a range of cost and performance options not another year away - 7 months actually, much better than the 3 years it took Tesla to get M3 on the road 🙂
  • better looks - rofl
TM3 made in China
P2 made in China
Your point being?
🙂

·
Registered
318 Posts
hmm, let's take another look at that list eh:
  • lower cost - nope, M3 P costs more
  • more space - less usable space in M3 due to poor design
  • more range - tbc, or not....
  • better performance - better 0-60 yes, better performance no
  • supercharger network - yes but no but not being extended and soon to be overfull of M3
  • better autopilot - not at all, and M3 owners being charged £6k for fsd which will not exist for at least another 10 years (naughty Elon)
  • better infotainment - lol
  • regular over the air updates e.g. forthcoming performance and range increase - ota updates on all P2 from launch
  • available in volume now across a range of cost and performance options not another year away - 7 months actually, much better than the 3 years it took Tesla to get M3 on the road 🙂
  • better looks - rofl
TM3 made in China
P2 made in China
Your point being?
🙂
Erm nope P2 is comparable to M3 LR which is £600 less. P2 perf pack adds £5k which is then £600 more than the M3 Perf
M3 has more usable space, more range, better performance, standard autopilot included at no extra cost, better looks, is available in volume NOW, supercharger access, etc. M3 made in the US, Chinese factory mainly for local demand. European factory coming next.
Your point being? Good luck with your P2 anyway.

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
At the risk of bringing back the same argument; Other than unnecessarily outrageous acceleration, access to Superchargers, and 10% more range, what does the American car have that the Swedish one doesn't?
Looks! I want a car that looks more like a Porsche 917 than a remastered Ford Cortina...

To be fair the Polestar 2 is a very polished piece of work. I think my problem is that it is too tense and frowny, while the M3 looks relaxed and phlegmatic...

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
461 Posts
Well, Firetrax, you included the three things in your list that I said "apart from". Michael's points are perfectly valid. Also, the P2 is £600 cheaper than than LR M3, and the P2 with Performance Pack is £600 cheaper than the Perf M3, as pointed out earlier in this thread (https://www.speakev.com/threads/polestar-2.135312/post-2726166)

Your definition of "usable" clearly differs to mine. I like to be able to get things into and out of the luggage compartment workout squeezing them through a tiny (unpowered) aperture.

Zenuity ADAS needs to be tested yet, but Autopilot is just fancy adaptive cruise control - it's not doing anything other cars aren't doing.

Again, the Android OS will categorically allow over the air updates for every piece of software in the car.

So we're back to three things:
Acceleration, Supercharging (probably the best advantage), and 10% more range.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
461 Posts
Looks! I want a car that looks more like a Porsche 917 than a remastered Ford Cortina...
I guess it's all subjective. I personally think the Polestar 2 is gorgeous. It has the look of a modern muscle car. If anything, it looks more American than the American.

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
I guess it's all subjective. I personally think the Polestar 2 is gorgeous. It has the look of a modern muscle car. If anything, it looks more American than the American.
I think you are spot on -- it's much fairer to compare it to a Camaro than a Cortina. Either of them is not for me, but I have made my choice anyway!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anyone who is able to buy either car is very lucky and will probably be very happy.

I’d politely suggest we keep this thread on topic and just discuss p2. By all means let someone start a new one to discuss m3 vs p2 specifically.

The fact we are getting to choose now between Porsche or Tesla or Volvo and Tesla or even Kia or Tesla is great.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, Firetrax, you included the three things in your list that I said "apart from". Michael's points are perfectly valid. Also, the P2 is £600 cheaper than than LR M3, and the P2 with Performance Pack is £600 cheaper than the Perf M3, as pointed out earlier in this thread (https://www.speakev.com/threads/polestar-2.135312/post-2726166)

Your definition of "usable" clearly differs to mine. I like to be able to get things into and out of the luggage compartment workout squeezing them through a tiny (unpowered) aperture.

Zenuity ADAS needs to be tested yet, but Autopilot is just fancy adaptive cruise control - it's not doing anything other cars aren't doing.

Again, the Android OS will categorically allow over the air updates for every piece of software in the car.

So we're back to three things:
Acceleration, Supercharging (probably the best advantage), and 10% more range.
Those 3 points are pretty major for most people!

I've also found the Model 3 space to be very useful, both luggage space and better rear headroom and flat floor and the boot aperture is massive. If anything the P2 looks quite cramped. Fair point about the small cost difference following the recent price rises. The M3 also has lower cost options not available on the P2 for a couple of years (if ever).

Even standard autopilot is far better than most other offerings and is improving all the time. I doubt Volvo will be pushing out over the air performance and range increases as Tesla is doing, thereby increasing the range and performance advantages of the M3 even further. The M3 also offer other features such as Sentry Mode, pin to drive, dashcam recording

As I said, your enjoy your P2 when you eventually get it but for the vast majority in this segment the M3 is a superior car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
firetrax - JLR is about to release a SOTA which increases the i-Pace range by 8%. Volvo with a vehicle which is 2yrs newer can do the same. Sorry if this breaks your narrative !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Started a new thread discussing these two models here:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Who in God's name takes a large, unmodified family saloon to the track?

Either get a trackday experience in something that a professional has fettled, buy a cheap car and mod it until it's not street legal or get a Caterham/Ariel/motorbike.

381 - 400 of 474 Posts