Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1089 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
They do seem to be somewhat unreliable. Fully Charged were there and 3 out of 4 had failed; when @stageshoot was there with Hyundai a week ago there was still only one working. I've only tried one once and it failed and had to be rebooted.

Reactions: onlineo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another comparison video from What Car today:

It's not suprising that the P2 is being compared to the M3, however I do find it odd that most reviewers default position seems to be that if you're after an electric car then you'd obviously aspire to own a Tesla.

There are some people that want to own a Tesla as much as they aspire to own an Audi. i.e they don't

Thankfully there are other options available now and they're looking rather good.

·
Registered
228 Posts

It's not suprising that the P2 is being compared to the M3, however I do find it odd that most reviewers default position seems to be that if you're after an electric car then you'd obviously aspire to own a Tesla.

There are some people that want to own a Tesla as much as they aspire to own an Audi. i.e they don't

Thankfully there are other options available now and they're looking rather good.
The interesting thing to me is that he says the model 3 is clearly more comfortable over rougher surfaces. An early reviewer in Sweden said, with subtitles, that the polestar was clearly more comfortable than the model 3. Both people comparing the high end performance specs. I found the model 3 nice to drive so will have to see how the polestar compares in my book...

·
Registered
57 Posts

Maybe Polestar have done themselves no favours by making only cars with the Performance Pack available for review. That has led to several reviews comparing the M3 Performance with the P2 'Performance', even though the P2 performance pack should really have been called a handling pack and the M3P is quite a bit more expensive. Surely the true comparison should be the M3LR to the P2 without the performance pack, two cars almost identically priced and specced, and thats the comparison I should have liked to see. Any comparison with the M3 is inevitable, though, given the lack of EVs in this middle market sector.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Maybe Polestar have done themselves no favours by making only cars with the Performance Pack available for review. That has led to several reviews comparing the M3 Performance with the P2 'Performance', even though the P2 performance pack should really have been called a handling pack and the M3P is quite a bit more expensive. Surely the true comparison should be the M3LR to the P2 without the performance pack, two cars almost identically priced and specced, and thats the comparison I should have liked to see. Any comparison with the M3 is inevitable, though, given the lack of EVs in this middle market sector.
Makes perfect sense, but they are always going to roll out the best version of the product for the reviews.

·
Registered
151 Posts
One of the demo cars is a Void / no performance pack / but with the leather. It's been used by a couple of the reviewers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
One of the demo cars is a Void / no performance pack / but with the leather. It's been used by a couple of the reviewers.
I think they’ve still put 20” wheels on it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
There's no point in worrying about it. Just need to drive the PS2 and if you like it that's all that matters. If you prefer the model 3 or something else, then go with that. I just don't want the test drive route to all be on pristine surfaces .

·
Registered
57 Posts
There's no point in worrying about it. Just need to drive the PS2 and if you like it that's all that matters. If you prefer the model 3 or something else, then go with that. I just don't want the test drive route to all be on pristine surfaces .
I agree, Not worried - just trying to stimulate a bit of discussion! I already made my choice a while ago, having seen several M3s appearing nearby and deciding I just couldn't love it. PS2 expected September, all being well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree, Not worried - just trying to stimulate a bit of discussion! I already made my choice a while ago, having seen several M3s appearing nearby and deciding I just couldn't love it. PS2 expected September, all being well.
Was it the familarity of the car or the owners that put you off?

Over time I've found that the M3 has attracted a certain demographic and it's put me right off. Similar camp to fast Audi, BMW M car owners. (I'm sure some of them are lovely when you get the know them)

I'm hoping the P2 doesn't go the same way.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Over time I've found that the M3 has attracted a certain demographic and it's put me right off.
So you'd chose not to buy a product based on the other people who own it/use it? For fear of other people judging you like you have judged them based on nothing other than what they chose to drive? My Mrs would have an M3 if she did more mileage... so what do you think of her?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
No danger of that around this area ;)

Reactions: Stevedoz

·
Registered
151 Posts
The thing that put me off the TM3 is that externally it has all the style and flair of a melted frog. Internally - well, they forgot to actually fit an interior, so we can brush over that. It feels in every way like a cheap £20k car. In fact, I'd go as far as saying some of the current Korean cars of half the price are actually way better from a build quality point of view.

It literally did nothing at all for me once you'd got over the excitement of flooring the pedal and going 'wheeeee'. After a 40 min test drive, I was thrilled to be sat back in my old car. I actually exhaled with relief when my bum hit the seat. My other half said 'you won't be getting one then'...

My last few cars have been 5-series BMWs and I have realistic expectations set for the Polestar. I know it's not quite going to be up there from a quality point of view, but hopefully it will be more than acceptable.

It's fantastic what Tesla have done - we wouldn't be where we are now without them - and we should all be grateful, but boy are they uninspiring cars to look at and sit in. I won't out and out bad mouth them, but it is very disappointing that they still haven't got a grasp on quality issues either. I mean, they've had enough time now to sort this out. I take strong issue with the very misleading 'full-self-driving' claims as well. They have extracted a -lot- of money from people over that never-ending open promise.

If I needed to hypermile and the range mattered, I might have been forced into considering one, but fortunately it's not an issue for me. My daily commute is approx 80 miles and I can charge at both ends. Some occasional inconvenience on longer journeys I can accept.

It's costing me a lot of money each month in BIK to stay in my old car and I could have switched to a Tesla way back and saved all that cash. But I'm happy to wait as long as it takes (within reason) for Polestar to deliver.

Polestar's apparent total incapability to communicate with their customers is a whole other issue... I am NOT impressed with them as a company so far.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So you'd chose not to buy a product based on the other people who own it/use it? For fear of other people judging you like you have judged them based on nothing other than what they chose to drive? My Mrs would have an M3 if she did more mileage... so what do you think of her?
I might have an M3, too, if I drove more mileage. My comment was intended to show that I have seen, at close quarters, several M3s, and I just don't care for the look very much. Nothing to do with the owners, whom I don't know.
Cars are bought with the heart as well as the head. The 'head' reasons I rejected the M3 were: 1) It would barely fit my garage, and I do need to put my car in the garage, and 2) Its a 'sedan', and I use my car to transport stock practically every day so an opening tailgate is a considerable advantage. The 'heart' reasons were the M3 simply doesn't turn me on, and the PS2 does. In profile I think the M3 is elegant, but I can't get on with the rear view and the front looks unfinished to me. The only regret is the undoubted advantage of the supercharger network.
Its quite interesting that in my short street of 22 houses, there is, or will shortly be a PS2, an M3LR, a Model X and an EQC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Polestar's apparent total incapability to communicate with their customers is a whole other issue... I am NOT impressed with them as a company so far.
Agreed, I hope that being face to face at a test drive will at least allow my outstanding questions to be answered and hopefully some concerns noted.
If its full of PR people then it will be disappointment all around.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I might have an M3, too, if I drove more mileage. My comment was intended to show that I have seen, at close quarters, several M3s, and I just don't care for the look very much. Nothing to do with the owners, whom I don't know.
Thanks but I wasn't actually replying to you, it was the blondebier comment of "the M3 has attracted a certain demographic and it's put me right off. "

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well if we're doing the reasons why we're looking at the Polestar 2... :)

Currently got a 2017 Audi A4, I got a bit carried away with the extras and it is almost full specced and apart from the auto-parking I've used it all, I'd probably look at another Audi but their only EV is an SUV and I have no interest in that.

So I started looking at the Model 3 LR, the looks don't really do it for me as it reminds me a lot of my old Seat Leon mk2 with all the curves and bubble/tear drop shapes. The interior looks ok, I don't like the steering wheel or the open dashboard but the screen is nice. Then there's the tech, yes it seems like the drivetrain is the best in the EV world but everything else just seems not very good.
  • Rain sensors aren't normal rain sensors and rely on the camera 'seeing' the rain
  • High-Beam assist is again reliant on the cameras 'seeing' cars
  • No auto-dimming rear-view or wing mirrors
  • No 360 cameras for parking
  • Default Autopilot will turn off during overtake or lane changes
  • Default Autopilot won't adjust to speed changes
  • Autopilot phantom braking
  • Doesn't read road signs
  • No CarPlay/Android Auto
  • USB media player doesn't support playlists (I use this constantly on the A4!)
  • No 'stops' in the sat nav
  • No interior ambient lighting (I have Philips Hue at home, I want my purple and blue lighting on the move to! This is a strike against the P2 as well)
  • Boot doesn't raise itself
I was willing to suffer some of these loses for getting an EV but when I started to read and watch videos about the M3 the number of issues with build quality, from the paint coming off behind the wheels in countries with salted roads to rain water filling up the boot lid (lid, not the boot itself!) rain getting in to the AC ducts, not to mention panel gaps, missing trim, etc. Also the software problems, Spotify not working, Dashcam/Sentry not recording, car not going to sleep, car not waking up to charge. When I was researching my Audi A4 the biggest issue that was reported was Audi using the wrong oil in the auto-gearbox causing a static charge to build up and blow the the gearbox fuse locking the car in place wherever it stopped. Since 2017 I've had the windscreen camera fail and had to be replaced under warranty and during a service they had to replace metal decor inserts on the speakers as the glue had been failing on some car and people had got stabbed by the sharp trim!

I guess I'll have a better idea once I've test driven the P2, was thinking of booking a test drive of the M3 LR as well just so I can compare.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Still not quite sure why my account via the Web shows estimated delivery of October, but via the app shows November... Weird

981 - 1000 of 1089 Posts