Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 in void and standard suspension
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience of configuring the Polestar Connect app for a Polestar 2 yet?
In preparation for my car arriving in a couple of days I thought I would install the app but you can't do much with it until it is paired with a car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unfortunately there is no app yet, the current Polestar Connect app is only for the Polestar 1 (the iOS version was already renamed 'Polestar 1 Connect')

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately there is no app yet, the current Polestar Connect app is only for the Polestar 1 (the iOS version was already renamed 'Polestar 1 Connect')
Bugger. I had not appreciated that.
Does anybody know when one is supposed to appear?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Received the following from Polestar this morning. Clarifying here is no phone key, OTA updates, pre-conditioning or App functions until next year:

Dear​
Thank you for supporting Polestar in this exciting start-up phase of our brand.

Some customers have asked for more information on feature updates. We’re sorry for our lack of clear communication on this topic. New technology presents new opportunities, and should enhance the user experience. If it doesn’t, it isn’t ready yet.

A few of our promised features are delayed: Digital Key, Over-The-Air update compatibility, in-car scheduling of preconditioning and the vehicle remote functions in the Polestar app. These need further development before they are entirely ready for you. Right now, we expect feature updates to be made available from the end of this year. As soon as these features are available, we will contact you with the details you need for your Polestar 2 to receive the relevant upgrade, which will happen at a Polestar authorised service point.

Many of you have shared your joy of driving the first Polestar 2 models in the world and we’re so happy you’re enjoying your driving experience. We recognise that some of the very first cars we’ve delivered are experiencing teething problems and it’s our top priority to address these matters and provide solutions as quickly as possible. Should you experience any difficulties or simply have questions, please reach out to Polestar support for guidance.

We want you to know that you count. We hear you and we want to improve through your experiences and feedback. Your satisfaction is our top priority.​

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm being optimistic here that this has been lost in translation because they were originally saying 'by the end of the year' now they are saying 'from the end of the year'. That's weird language to use. If they really mean next year, you think they would have said that.

I suppose the most annoying one is the lack of OTA which means they can't do any of the other updates without the inconvenience of a service visit.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
And to think I got roasted on here for saying that the software wasn't ready :rolleyes:
At least they seem to be getting better about communication with owners and to-be-owners now. As we've all been saying, at least if we know, then we don't get unpleasant surprises!
Thanks for posting the update (y).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it better to have a car that does 90% of what was promised or to wait another 3-6 months? I am dissapointed that some of these features aren't here on day one, but at least we have an acknowledgement an a (vague) timescale.
In the meantime we can look forward to new apps appearing in the play store - that should not be dependant on the delivery of the promised features.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
5 Posts
One of the reasons VW offered id.3 customers the first 3 months of their lease / purchase free was because the software was not totally ready and they would be driving a car with less than the advertised features. Polestar should be looking at this as an option particularly as it looks like it will be 3-6 months before any of these features are available (that's 25% of the length of my lease)!!!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Exactly. This feels like a car that has been delivered to a timescale, irrespective of how "finished" the software is, let alone the set-up of the car (e.g. headlight adjustment) and delivery and payment processes! The ID.3 has exactly the same problem, and even the Xpeng P7 that Bjorn Nyland reviewed had numerous software glitches. It's now a multi-industry problem that software is shipped unfinished because they always (and I mean ALWAYS) underestimate how long it takes to write software, and software is also the last bit to go on the car so it somehow has to make up for delays in all the other parts. I see it every day of my life as I work developing software for various systems...

Doesn't stop me wanting one though :).

Reactions: SA69-ev and Shak788

·
Registered
96 Posts
Exactly. This feels like a car that has been delivered to a timescale, irrespective of how "finished" the software is, let alone the set-up of the car (e.g. headlight adjustment) and delivery and payment processes! The ID.3 has exactly the same problem, and even the Xpeng P7 that Bjorn Nyland reviewed had numerous software glitches. It's now a multi-industry problem that software is shipped unfinished because they always (and I mean ALWAYS) underestimate how long it takes to write software, and software is also the last bit to go on the car so it somehow has to make up for delays in all the other parts. I see it every day of my life as I work developing software for various systems...

Doesn't stop me wanting one though :).
I was in computer-based systems for thirty years. When I started, they were room sized monsters based around mini-computers (look it up). The first system I worked on was three years delayed due to software - the hardware was half-knackered when it was delivered. So, nothing new under the sun, sadly.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Exactly. This feels like a car that has been delivered to a timescale, irrespective of how "finished" the software is..
If you assume that both the building of the car and writing of the software started a year ago ... it's totally normal that one (or both) could have had problems along the way.

So let's say you are a business ... you have spent money on getting a factory ready to build them. You have staff ready to make them .... and then the tech guys say "hay we are going to be a few months delayed". That could cost them millions in wasted dead time. So you make the call to release the car as it works fine (Headlights are a minor issue for a car at launch and easily fixed) and this will get you revenue and turn over.
So you announce a release date and start selling the cars. You are asking for a date from the tech guys and they say "soon". You start to deliver the cars.
Then getting rather anxious you keep asking Tech for the stuff .. they finally admit they are having more problems than expected and the ETA is now a few more months.

Your only options are keep saying "soon" or announce that there is a delay and when it will be rectified.

There is a belief that because you have been doing something for years you can't make mistakes or delays can't happen. I've been in Construction for 30+ years and there are still issues and problems we have to overcome each new project. Crossrail anyway?

·
Registered
311 Posts
At least they are now just starting to be a little more transparent and actually admitting stuff instead of hiding behind waffle.

If I put my tinfoil hat on and go full conspiracy theory mode, that could be because they've already started delivering the cars and have watertight binding orders from everyone affected.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone managed to change the Google Assistant voice to anything other than the standard Google Lady and Google Man?

I'm not a huge fan of either that I've managed to use with Android Auto using app connect in our VW.

Is there a greater selection of voices in Android Automotive?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've tried that. My experience to date(with Android Auto) is that I can choose from 2. A lady and a man.

Are you getting a wider selection to choose from? Please say yes!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Give it a year and there will be paid app to change the voice to Stephen Fry or Morgan Freeman .... etc..

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just like Garmin did more than 20 years ago with their sat navs! I had (impersonated) Arnie on mine. "Make a U turn when possible, and you'll be back..." You get the idea ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts