Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Does your e-Niro reset to LKAS everytime you restart car (even if you set it on LDW before)

• Yes it resets to LKAS (Lane Keep Assist System) every time I restart

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No it stays on LDW (lane departure warning)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,034 Posts
I would expect any car with LKA to enable this safety feature when the car is powered on. Doing so is probably required for the feature to be given points in EuroNCAP tests. Also, a driver of the car might not know that a previous driver had switched it off.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I haven't voted as I have no idea what it does and how you change it each time you start the car. I press the switch on the right along with the whining noise button each time I get in the car to switch them both off.
On narrow country lanes I have had it try to steer me away from the bank and towards the car coming the other way.
After it did that a couple of times it has been the first thing I do as I select reverse in the morning, or any other time I start the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my USA spec car, I have definitely switched to LKW in the Driver Assistance settings (done on the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel). There, I have the choice (2 check boxes only) of LKW or LKA. I can turn off the function (whichever I have selected in Settings) with the button down below the steering wheel. I then notice that when I use Cruise Control, I still have LKA regardless of what choice I made in Settings.

This was not immediately intuitive, but I like the setup now that I understand it.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
My wife had the Niro this weekend for a trip to Brighton and said she liked driving the Niro as it made the driving more relaxed especially in the dark.
On the other hand I was finding it strange in the Golfand not having the car correcting the steering all the time. I find it more useful on the dual carriageways than I do annoying and missed not having it, and I hate technology telling me what to do!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't voted as I have no idea what it does and how you change it each time you start the car. I press the switch on the right along with the whining noise button each time I get in the car to switch them both off.
On narrow country lanes I have had it try to steer me away from the bank and towards the car coming the other way.
After it did that a couple of times it has been the first thing I do as I select reverse in the morning, or any other time I start the car.
In the LED screen with the speedometer, you can jump between 3-4 tabs of items using the "change tab" icon on your steering wheel. One of those tabs is for settings. One of those settings allows you to choose whether to enable LKA or LDW (the steering wheel nudging vs beeps only).

I was commuting to work yesterday and had to steer into the center lane on a 3-lane road (one center lane + 1 lane in each direction). This was because there were orange cones and a truck obstructing my lane. When I attempted to steer away from the truck, I felt the wheel nudging me back into the truck. Once that happened, I shut off LKA and it has remained off by default ever since.

So... My vote in the poll is "Yes, it stays off"

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
In the LED screen with the speedometer, you can jump between 3-4 tabs of items using the "change tab" icon on your steering wheel. One of those tabs is for settings. One of those settings allows you to choose whether to enable LKA or LDW (the steering wheel nudging vs beeps only).

I was commuting to work yesterday and had to steer into the center lane on a 3-lane road (one center lane + 1 lane in each direction). This was because there were orange cones and a truck obstructing my lane. When I attempted to steer away from the truck, I felt the wheel nudging me back into the truck. Once that happened, I shut off LKA and it has remained off by default ever since.

That's why I haven't noticed it changing each time I start the car. I use the setting that helps to keep in the lane when the SCC is on only.
Strangely enough I find the beeps anoying but the nudges on the wheel I have got used to. On dual carriageways with narrow lanes I usually find it switches off, but it does need agjusting at times to keep it where I am comfortable in the lane when there is traffic around.

·
Registered
112 Posts

In the Kona, putting your indicators on to pass an obstruction temporarily dissables LKA/LFA, so you neither get the beeps or nudges.

John.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Turn on car, in settings change LKA selection to LDW. Turn off car. Turn on car, LKA is reselected every time!

Why?

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the Kona, putting your indicators on to pass an obstruction temporarily dissables LKA/LFA, so you neither get the beeps or nudges.

John.
I believe this also works on the Niro, but the point is, I don't want to have to signal every time I go around an obstacle or move away from a bicyclist. To date, I've found LKA more annoying/dangerous than useful, at least for myself.

Lane Follow Assist / Smart Cruise Control (LFA/SCC) on the other hand, I find really fantastic when going on longer drives or in traffic.

Turn on car, in settings change LKA selection to LDW. Turn off car. Turn on car, LKA is reselected every time!

Why?
This hasn't been my experience. But I also disabled it using both methods at once (I also pressed the button on the left side of the car to disable it).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Why?
This is the glitch I'm talking about and many seem to think the fix is turn it all off but that's not the solution as I want ldw not lkas and the car keeps resetting. In my previous Niro it stayed on ldw and didn't reset. So this poll should close as most don't understand the criteria.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the glitch I'm talking about and many seem to think the fix is turn it all off but that's not the solution as I want ldw not lkas and the car keeps resetting. In my previous Niro it stayed on ldw and didn't reset. So this poll should close as most don't understand the criteria.
I understood the poll. I do not have that issue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This hasn't been my experience. But I also disabled it using both methods at once (I also pressed the button on the left side of the car to disable it).
Would you mind letting us know the exact sequence of button pushes you used please?

I have tried every which way but it always resets on ignition on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would you mind letting us know the exact sequence of button pushes you used please?

I have tried every which way but it always resets on ignition on!
Sure. First I pressed the LKA button on the left, near-ish to the driver's door.

Then I disabled it in the settings w/ steering wheel controls.

If it does not work for you, perhaps you have a different model? I'm driving the US version of the Niro EV (EX, not premium)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you for that. It was an abject failure.

I am sure you have hit the nail on the head, different markets and different settings for some reason. But, now we in Europe know it is possible perhaps some future hacker will discover how to implement the change necessary.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For everyone in Europe complaining about this. Vehicles that have Euro NCAP SAFETY ASSIST features are tested to set standards. For ELK the default action is ON.

Trying not to quote out of context so for Lane Support Systems the following is stated:-

Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK) – default ON heading correction that is applied automatically by the vehicle in response to the detection of the vehicle that is about to drift beyond the edge of the road or into oncoming or overtaking traffic in the adjacent lane.

Test Protocol here:-

and further documents here:-

So if the maufacturer has declared that the vehicle has ELK then by default it must be enabled. Hope this helps clarify why it resets when you power up.

Can't speak for our friends across the pond, and I neither have the stamina or the will to trawl through all the North American legislation, so I'll leave that for other to do.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts