Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Are you interested in a group buy for the Curt tow-hitch?

• yes or no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In case you drop it on your mother-in-law's toes?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You do know that a Leaf isn't allowed to tow as it hasn't been tested and plated for that don't you?
Legalities: You need to see the threads about tow-hitches. By testing and plating I presume you mean the homologation process?
It is perfectly legal to fit a tow-hitch to a vehicle without the homologation being processed for that vehicle. The use of the tow-hitch for towing an attachment which has wheels on the ground (ie. a trailer) is illegal without VOSA authorisation on a previously NON-REGISTERED vehicle, for instance certain types of disability equipment. To gain VOSA authorisation requires the vehicle to be de-registered then re-registered.

The purpose of this poll is to group purchase tow hitches which can be legally fitted to any vehicle. The use to which they are put is a different matter entirely, in my case I want to fit a type-approved bicycle rack. This is perfectly legal, and ALL insurance companies have no problems with the attachment.
Please let this be an end of these Edited 12-02-02: uninformed comments about the legalities of the fitting of tow hitches to the Leaf.
I have VOSA letters which state they have no interest or objections to fitting a tow-hitch to my leaf.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah - I see. You want to fit a tow-hitch that cannot be used to tow a trailer. So that's clear now. And not at all confusing. Anyone reading the thread title would immediately understand that your proposal is for a tow hitch that cannot be used to tow anything. And you find it acceptable to say that anyone not understanding that this is a tow hitch that isn't able to tow is being 'silly'. Of course. I don't know what I was thinking. A tow hitch that cant tow is so obvious now that you've explained it so politely.

I suppose that it's perfectly legal to fit a flame thrower to the front of my car as long as I only use it to light a cigarette. So I can start a poll to see who wants to group buy flame thrower kits - but don't tell them that they would go to jail if they used it.

I would suggest that the issue here is that you ( the real silly party btw ) failed to mention in the title that you intend to buy a bicycle supporting device to be fitted to the rear of a car. Had you done that do you think that I would have replied about towing? Of course not. I already knew that it was legal to fit a supporting device for a bike rack. And that if you jump through numerous VOSPA hoops it is possible to legalise a towing device. But as you are a silly and rude person that never occurred to you when you quoted my comment.
There really is no need for personal attacks on this forum. I do not understand why anyone would think that is ok.
If you had properly read my post you would see I said to read the previous posts on the subject so you would be better informed on this matter, that would have rendered your post unnecessary as all the points are covered. There is only one valid point you make and that is about the title, I should have said not for trailers. For that omission I apologise and if the edit limit was not in place I would rectify it. Have a nice day and please try to be more pleasant.

Reactions: Roomster Richard

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe the title should be amended for clarity - something like “Group buy tow hitch (not legal for towing)” ;)
The forum will not let me change the poll heading:(

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That valid point is the entire point. You created a title that gave a totally wrong impression of your aim. Then delivered a lengthy patronising lecture and called me silly for simply asking if you were aware of the limitations on towing. To expect readers to trawl through a forum to be better informed before daring to ask questions added to the patronising nature of your response. And to reply like that because people failed to follow your instructions to the letter was the final straw.

If you then expected me to be intimidated by that reply you were mistaken. Not happening. If you accuse people of being silly by asking a perfectly valid question then they will react. You now seek to grab the moral high ground over an exchange that wouldn't have happened absent your prime error. I accept your apology of course. But can point out that as you started the thread you also have the ability to edit the title. Unless the new forum format has removed that facility there should be an 'edit' button in the header of your first post that enables the OP to correct spellings etc.

I look forward to the title being amended and trust that this can end here.
Dear oh dear, you take one word written maybe in-advisably and make a mountain out of a molehill. Then you start insulting me. Why? Does it make you feel better to write a long diatribe to justify your inappropriate posts?
I am unable to alter the heading.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go to your first entry. Just underneath the thread title, there is a space listing the number of entries so far. On the right side about 2/3rds of the way over there will be three vertical dots. Click there. It opens a mini menu that enables edit. Click edit and it opens a field to amend the title. Amend as appropriate and click save.
Thank you, it is not very intuitive, there is an edit box to the right that doesn't seem to do anything.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I have VOSA letters which state they have no interest or objections to fitting a tow-hitch to my leaf.
I have a letter from VOSA too in reply to the same question I asked, stating that it was only the DfT that could make a determination.

So I wrote to them, and received a letter stating amongst other things that in principle it was ok as long as the manufacturer could assure you that there were safe mounting points for a tow hitch that would be used for carrying a bicycle rack only.

However, they did caveat if with the following paragraph;

“Please note that this letter contains the views of the Department for Transport and that insofar as this letter provides an interpretation of the law, it is only a court of law that is able to give a legally definitive interpretation.”

People should go into the fitting of a tow hitch on a non type approved vehicle with their eyes open, and be aware that VOSA and Insurance companies are not the authorities around this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts