Tow-Hitch for the Leaf - Who wants one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just taken delivery of a 2016 30kw leaf, and before I purchased it I asked about towbar fitting from my dealer, Westover Nissan in Bournemouth.

I said I understood the UK conformity made no mention of it, but in the USA and some EU countries the homogulation and compliance for the fitting of a towbar has been approved for the Leaf.

There is some information here: EUR-Lex - 32019R0026 - EN - EUR-Lex On what may happen when brexit finally kicks in.

I come from this as a Trailer manufacturing proprietor (I still own half the business but now have no active part in the running of it) for ten years located in Western Australia, where I had many issues with type approval and compliance when importing our trailers from France. Many hours were spent obtaining type approval from the Australian authorities (rules based on the UK system) by myself and my business partner.

I formally asked Westover Nissan (now bought by Hendy) to assist me in my endeavours to gain type approval for the Nissan Leaf towbar fitting. They have agreed to assist me in my efforts. Westover are a very large Nissan dealer and will have a lot more clout with Nissan head office than I as an individual.

Here is the sort of hitch to be used: Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" Curt Trailer Hitch C11396

Please support my endeavours.

Tony Brown.

Edit: additional thoughts.

The thing is, nobody is going to tow a caravan or a car carrying trailer with a Leaf. All we really need is a maximum of 60kg nose weight and a upper ceiling of 450kg on the towing weight, and certainly no braked trailer approvals.

The main objections the regulatory authorities have is the effect on handling and braking/steering systems of the towing vehicle. If you have five obese people in the car with a combined weight of 600kg, that is perfectly legal, and the braking systems are designed to cope with this sort of load.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Reactions: JeffG

·
Registered
694 Posts
A very nice and neat solution. (y) I have no need for a tow bar at the moment but if I did, this would be the one.

Can I ask why the frame bolts to the chassis box section on the left, but it's a different mounting on the right? Just my curiosity talking (and maybe my symmetrical ocd). :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea-these are all LHD vehicles don't forget, maybe our RHD vehicles are different, would have to get underneath and remove the rear pan to see.

I just put this up as an example to show it can be done safely, and Nissan UK are just penny-pinching on their conformity costs. Why did they do it for Norway, but not all of the EU? Again I have no idea.

I have just had a reply from Witter-they do not make a kit for the Leaf, so they can be crossed off the list.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well I like it and wish you all the best. There may possibly come a point in the near-ish future that I need a hitch, so in the words of Terminator "I'll be back".

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On hold now for the Winter-too damn cold for my old bones to be crawling underneath vehicles, will get started again in the Spring.

Reactions: whereswally606

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris- I bit the bullet and ordered one from LiftKitsForLess based in Las Vegas Nevada. I rang them half a dozen times and they said they would do me a quote but once I put the 'phone down they just forgot me. However, their ebay site allows import to the UK. and I went ahead and ordered one from them. As of this post I have received the wiring kit but not the hitch yet, according to Hermes it should be any day now fingers crossed.

As soon as it arrives I'll post on here.

Cheers Tony.

Reactions: Chris Pullen

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A very nice and neat solution. (y) I have no need for a tow bar at the moment but if I did, this would be the one.

Can I ask why the frame bolts to the chassis box section on the left, but it's a different mounting on the right? Just my curiosity talking (and maybe my symmetrical ocd). :)
I removed the floor pan and had a look, the reason why they are different mountings on the right and left is because the towing hook is affixed to the right side and has different holes and fixings than the left side. The RHD and LHD vehicles are identical in this respect. @whereswally606 has had one fitted for him after he ordered his from the same ebay site as my order. Here is his post with some very begrudged pictures of his. Note the fog lamp reposition. Tow bar on Leaf to carry bike

Reactions: Chris Pullen

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am soooo frustrated.:mad: I got a notification from Hermes to say my towhitch had been returned to sender. It got as far as a (relatively)local depot in Southampton but was now heading back to Las Vegas. I did receive the electrical kit. Why??
I have absolutely no idea.o_O Trying to sort it out now.
Of course there is no way to contact anyone, never a 'phone number or email. They have no trouble contacting you but they are ALWAYS at arm's length when you need to get hold of them.

It'll be Winter before I get it here....:cry:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tony. Very poor service if they have returned it so quickly. :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts