Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which car(s) do you currently operate in your household?

• E-Niro FE 2019 MY

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • E-Niro '4' 2020 MY

Votes: 50 20.7%
  • E-Niro '4+' 2021 MY

Votes: 80 33.1%
  • E-Niro '3' 2021 MY

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • E-Niro '2' 2021 MY

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Kia Soul EV

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Hyundai Kona EV

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Some other Hyundai or KIA EV

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Some other maker full EV

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I don’t own a full EV (yet)

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • E-Niro '2' 64kWh 2021 MY

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Why ask about soul, kona and other EV's when your question title and location are Niro focussed? ie You can't trust any responses apart from those for the niro variants!
Ok. So after looking at your post again, I think I had missed the point you were making. I see that you meant the thread/poll main title question wording was too Eniro focussed? I now agree that it was. It was because I wrote the title before creating the actual poll questions. My original aim was to discover how many Eniro cars there are. The other car slots were a secondary consideration that emerged as I created the poll questions list.

So I’ve edited the main title question so it now covers any car. I can’t edit the individual questions but can edit the main title question easily. I hope that improves it. Thanks. Peter

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019, 2014 Nissan Leaf
170 Posts
Not a choice for two other maker's EVs. A LEAF and an eTron.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
I think it’s just interesting for us to get a feel of the general population of this particular forum. As this forum is by definition for Eniro cars then yes those are the most important votes. However, there are many other valuable contributors with other cars and Soul EV and Kona are intrinsically similar to Eniro in so many ways. Also, it was easy to create the additional poll categories along with the Eniro variants, so why not?
Peter
Which forum is for eNiro cars?
Do you mean the brand sub-forum?
SpeakEV is for all EVs.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Which forum is for eNiro cars?
Do you mean the brand sub-forum?
SpeakEV is for all EVs.
Ok I must admit I do tend to think of this specific thread list entitled “Kia Niro” as being an Eniro forum (as that is what the thread list title implies).

Of course the total SpeakEV community is for all EVs. if I had wanted to poll the entire community I would have created a poll in the “General EV Discussion” or somewhere like that. My primary goal was to try to get some idea how many actual Niro EVs drivers are on this specific sub forum named Kia Niro.

I think the data gathered so far is quite useful and interesting. I hope others feel the same too? (though clearly it won’t please all of the people all of the time, things like this never do). At least now when reports appear of similar issues such as split charging doors or faulty heater PTC etc, we can now get some impression of the approximate percentage of cars that have the same issues.

I have edited all my posts in this thread to now refer to this Kia Niro list as a sub forum rather than a forum. I hope that’s a little better?
Cheers. Peter

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Still no US models listed in poll
Greg, can’t you just choose a nearest fit existing category? As I think one or two others have done. If I start adding different Eniro model categories to cover the many international markets the option list could get very long.

For the main purpose of this survey (determining quantity of Niro EVs on here) I’m not sure we need that much fine detail do we?
Is the general consensus that we do need more categories in the poll?
Peter

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
Ok I must admit I do tend to think of this specific thread list entitled “Kia Niro” as being an Eniro forum (as that is what the thread list title implies).

Of course the total SpeakEV community is for all EVs. if I had wanted to poll the entire community I would have created a poll in the “General EV Discussion” or somewhere like that. My primary goal was to try to get some idea how many actual Niro EVs drivers are on this specific sub forum named Kia Niro.

I think the data gathered so far is quite useful and interesting. I hope others feel the same too? (though clearly it won’t please all of the people all of the time, things like this never do). At least now when reports appear of similar issues such as split charging doors or faulty heater PTC etc, we can now get some impression of the approximate percentage of cars that have the same issues.

I have edited all my posts in this thread to now refer to this Kia Niro list as a sub forum rather than a forum. I hope that’s a little better?
Cheers. Peter
Thanks for the clarification. I think the poll would be more useful if the eNiro was a single choice. They're all pretty much the same apart from the jewellery.
I drive the Soul EV but also read the Niro & Kona posts as they have lots of things in common.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
138 Posts
Firstly, thank you Peter for putting up this poll.

As an owner of a UK E-Niro, I find it very useful to see how popular the various versions are here.
It will definitely be useful when trying to quantify the relative prevalence of issues we see, and just be nice to know who has what.

In another uk car forum many years ago (I had a first-off-the-boat rx8), such things were very useful in collating issues (and we had a few) and even lead to helping set up group-buys for accessories.

To those who browse this sub-forum who don't have an E-Niro.
Welcome.
It's always nice to get opinions and comparisons from other ev and non-ev car owners.
But this poll is not about your car. The relative number of Leaf owners here does not help with E-Niro faults and features.
Do I think each manufacturer/model sub-forum should have it's own poll? Yes, why not.
But we can't lump all that on Peter's shoulders.

Non-uk E-Niro models are a lot harder. For one thing there are a lot of them. For another I have no idea what they all are, or mean,
and I'm sure neither does Peter.
Again, although this is primarily a UK group, opinions and experiences from other E-Niro owners around the world are very informative, constructive, and helpful.
Maybe we keep it simple as 'North American E-Niro', 'European* E-Niro', 'Other E-Niro' ?

Jon

(*Yes I know the UK is in Europe. It's just a shame that's not a universally held understanding in this country. But I hope you get the meaning)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think the idea of a poll is good, of course you ask first what is the purpose. What insights do you expect/want to extract?

I'm not voting not only since there is no category for US people, but moreover, I am seeing statistics quoted based on this poll with a very small sample of data, making the assumption this poll reflects the entire population. This was done some weeks ago and was way premature.

Is it a UK niro poll? It's apparently no longer an E niro poll, maybe all niros except ice... oh there is the soul, so why not the kona?

I would be interested in a poll including all the international flavors of the E niro, BEV, not PHEV, not HEV, not ICE. this sub forum is the niro sub forum of the Kia EV forum... so I would suggest the poll match the definitions of the sub forum, but it could be anything as long as it comprehensive for it's focus.

Since it is clearly only detailed categories on the UK versions, I'm in the US, and have been "told" this is primarily a UK forum, there is no reason to participate, despite being asked to put my vote into some "other" category.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Am I really the only one here with an e-Niro 2? just got it today.
Oh dear! I’m afraid it’s looking that way Martin. I was wondering how long before somebody showed up with one. I think for most folk it’s the attraction of the bigger battery/motor.
Congratulations! I hope you’re loving it. I think you will 👍. Thanks for voting.
Peter

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh dear! I’m afraid it’s looking that way Martin. I was wondering how long before somebody showed up with one. I think for most folk it’s the attraction of the bigger battery/motor.
Congratulations! I hope you’re loving it. I think you will 👍. Thanks for voting.
Peter
With a daily commute of only 20 miles each way, and only 2 days a week (when I finally get back to the office at all) the range of the 2 seemed more than adequate for my needs. We have another ICE car for long trips, so the Niro is really intended for the commute to work and shorter local trips, and I really couldn't justify the extra cost of the higher spec models.

So far, I'm loving it.

However, some of the missing features in the 2 are a bit odd - why on earth did Kia think that only one of the rear passengers deserved a storage net on the back of the front seat? That really seems to be a step too far in cost-cutting! Any why oh why did Kia not see a need to provide at least some form of phone charging points for the rear passengers? But as I say, those niggles are rather irrelevant as mostly it will be just me driving it, maybe with one passenger in the front.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
With a daily commute of only 20 miles each way, and only 2 days a week (when I finally get back to the office at all) the range of the 2 seemed more than adequate for my needs. We have another ICE car for long trips, so the Niro is really intended for the commute to work and shorter local trips, and I really couldn't justify the extra cost of the higher spec models.

So far, I'm loving it.

However, some of the missing features in the 2 are a bit odd - why on earth did Kia think that only one of the rear passengers deserved a storage net on the back of the front seat? That really seems to be a step too far in cost-cutting! Any why oh why did Kia not see a need to provide at least some form of phone charging points for the rear passengers? But as I say, those niggles are rather irrelevant as mostly it will be just me driving it, maybe with one passenger in the front.
Glad your enjoying it. There’s a hundred things that niggle me, and those horrible net seat back pockets are indeed one of them (though I get two lol). They look dreadful when stuff is visible in the pocket, and they snag like hell whenever you try to slide almost anything (with corners) into them. Crazy idea. Having said all that, this is my first EV and I am loving it. The drive is amazing. I actually started to compile a list of all my niggles, just for a laugh. It’s getting pretty long already :ROFLMAO:.
Still love it though. Peter

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting that so many have bought the top models of the car - about 90%.

I am not surprised though...

Firstly, base models of cars are intended by the makers to not sell. I believe it is common for the lowest-spec model of any car to sell zero, or close to zero, units. Something to do with giving the maker a headline low RRP for PR purposes without actually having to sell at that price point. I always wonder if that makes the base model of any vehicle the best value one on offer. I continuously curse motoring journalists for falling for this one. How many times have you heard or read: 'It is available from a price of just X though we would recommend you buy the Y spec'. It is like they have been programmed by the manufacturers PR team.

Secondly, any model e-Niro, like all EVs, is very costly for what it is. So those who chose to buy one are by definition not purchasing based on value. This is just where we are with EVs right now. Someone from Rolls Royce said to me, around the launch of the first BMW model Phantom, 'It's £250k without options, only no customer who can afford £250k will buy one without options!' Even though the price is vastly different, it is that same; it is not about value for money, thing.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts