Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Lost a cable after it stuck in a public charger?

• Never had a stuck cable

Votes: 38 71.7%
  • Got stuck, but freed before I had to leave

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Got stuck and had to leave but got it back later

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • It got stuck in the car, not the charger!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only use tethered chargers

• I've lost a cable this way

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cable got stuck in an eVolt 22kW charger on Saturday. Swarco have just confirmed their engineer will attend tomorrow, but only after I provided pictures to confirm my claim. They don't seem convinced the cable is still in the charger.

This makes me curious to know if anyone has actually lost a cable in this type of incident?

You can select more than one answer.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
What kind of crappy service is that? Pod-Point send someone out immediately for stuck cables.

Reactions: Harry_Zoe

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mine got stuck in an old Source London charger. I phoned Source London and the best they could offer was to send someone around to free up the cable within a week and post it back to me. At this point I looked closer at the charger. The cabinet had a triangular key like a utility cabinet. Using the tools out of my car and managed to open the charger and the back of the charging socket had a red manual release lever. A few minutes later I had my cable, the cabinet was secured and I was on my way.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,500 Posts
I had mine stuck in a hotel charger. Called CPS who said an engineer would attend and the cable would be left at reception. I went back the next day to find the cable at the back of the charger and not at the reception. There used to be an Enterprise Leaf using one of the posts too and its cable was once left lying around so I handed that into the reception.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of crappy service is that? Pod-Point send someone out immediately for stuck cables.
It was a right royal pain, tbh. Took over an hour to get through to CPS then another hour for them to agree I didn't need to wait at the site. It turned out later that Swarco/eVolt wouldn't respond until Monday. Lucky I have a spare cable.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swarco sent an engineer to the charger today, but the cable had disappeared. Their customer service person says this is not Swarco's responsibility as Charge Place Scotland "allowed" me to leave with the cable still in place.

The cable itself is pretty much new (has only been used for the last 8 weeks) and cost over £200 so I'm not inclined just to pop out and buy a new one.

Any lawyers out there who can advise where my best chance of pinning any blame lies?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Forget the lawyer just call Charge Place every ten minutes til they get sick of you and pay you to go away.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forget the lawyer just call Charge Place every ten minutes til they get sick of you and pay you to go away.
Thanks but I really meant "barrack room lawyers" :)
I hope I don't need a real one, was just after any advice....
(and thanks for yours!)

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
37 Posts
Swarco sent an engineer to the charger today, but the cable had disappeared. Their customer service person says this is not Swarco's responsibility as Charge Place Scotland "allowed" me to leave with the cable still in place.

The cable itself is pretty much new (has only been used for the last 8 weeks) and cost over £200 so I'm not inclined just to pop out and buy a new one.

Any lawyers out there who can advise where my best chance of pinning any blame lies?
I hate this kind of excuse. Did they really expect you to sit next to your stuck cable for two days until they arrived?
Honestly if they won’t take any accountability for this, they should ensure 24/7 coverage for this with the same kind of callout time as a recovery truck.

Sorry to hear they’re being an arse about it, though TBH your contract is with CPS, not the manufacturer of the charging point so it should be CPS you go after for this. Their faulty machinery has led you to financial loss.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
238 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
In England, companies usually fold when you tell them it’s cheaper for you to file a small claims case than it is to buy a new (insert product).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Suppose I shouldn't hijack the "public charging is rubbish" thread, so here goes.

CPS agreed to get me a new cable after they accepted mine had been stolen. Result!

But not as easy as that.....got a call a few hours later asking "what car do you have?" as there are "different type 2 cables" - does anyone know what that means?

Then it got worse. Turns out they're getting a cable from BP Chargemaster, but have nothing longer than 7.5m while I need a 10m.

Long story short, I'm now waiting on them getting internal approval to buy a cable.

To be fair, the lady handling the call was very pleasant, but I had to keep reminding her that my problem is with CPS, not Swarco as I felt she was trying to hand it off.

Waiting now to hear what CPS say on Monday.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Single phase and three phase.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Single phase will do fine for 7kw, you need three phase for 22kw (assuming your car can AC charge at 22kw and you visit 22kw chargers, otherwise it’s a waste).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts