Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bring my EV for a service, I often hear mention of the need to change the pollen filter. Why is this unique to EV’s and not combustion cars and why is it called pollen. Is my EV part of a community pollination project? Definition of pollen is ‘a powder, produced by the male part of a flower, that causes the female part of the same type of flower to produce seeds. It is carried by insects or the wind

Why is it important or is just an extra job to give the EV mechanic something check seeing as there’s is no oil to change?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
So when I bring my EV for a service, I often hear mention of the need to change the pollen filter. Why is this unique to EV’s and not combustion cars and why is it called pollen. Is my EV part of a community pollination project? Definition of pollen is ‘a powder, produced by the male part of a flower, that causes the female part of the same type of flower to produce seeds. It is carried by insects or the wind

Why is it important or is just an extra job to give the EV mechanic something check seeing as there’s is no oil to change?
All modern ICE cars have pollen filters too. Its just that they have oil filters, fuel filters, combustion air filters, transmission filters etc that the pollen filter doesn't get the headline😁

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
As above.
They are just as contentious an issue on ICE forums. Certainly not an EV thing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
@Seeker50 - Pollen is exactly what you describe, and all modern cars have filters to filter out pollen, a common allergen, and other harmful particulates. They come in different qualities and can reduce noxious gasses using activated carbon and/or sub micron particles. (HEPA).
They are not particularly contentious but have become more difficult to get at in some (mainly French) cars as they often keep the filter on the UK offside, which in Europe of course is the passenger side. If they are on the UK drivers side, it can cost £100 just to change the filter.
If you don't like the term pollen filter, the alternative, and possibly better, description is "cabin filter".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thank you. I suppose if there were less dirty combustion cars, we wouldn't need the pollen filters fitted in every car?! As concerns the name pollen filter, I would rather go with Tesla's word - Bioweapon filter. It sounds more manly and just as descriptive!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Okay, thank you. I suppose if there were less dirty combustion cars, we wouldn't need the pollen filters fitted in every car?!
Yes you would because they also stop leaves, dust, the odd spider and anything else pulled in from going through the ventilation system.

If you don't like paying for them, then find out where they are in the car and see if you can change them yourself. On the cars I've had they've been behind the glove box, it's normally a couple of minute job to remove the glovebox, unclip the filter cover and swap in a new filter. Takes about 5 minutes and the filter costs less than £10.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts