Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently got the new model 4+ of eniro. Disappointed with range. At 100% charge, it shows 240 miles dte, while it actually gives even less, about 160 (2-3.5 miles/kwh in different journeys). The temp here has been in the range of 4-7 degree centigrade all this while. I have tried both eco and normal modes and usually use full regeneration.
Can somebody please clarify.....
1. Is it normal for a new eniro to display a beginning range of 240 at 100% in winters, although its not freezing weather or snow?
2. Is it also normal for a new eniro to give such low actual range in the given temp?
3. The only unusual feature I think, in my journeys is.... They have been relatively short. We did make a long journey of about 120 miles, that only gave 2.8miles/kwh. However, majority of that route was covered at 70 miles per hour speed.
I have taken appointment at the workshop for 5th Jan, but wonder if anybody has a good idea.
Very grateful for any suggestions and advise.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,098 Posts
If you do a lot of very short journeys you'll use more energy heating the car so it will be a low average

Check the tyre pressures all round. Make sure they are all book pressure or a couple of psi more. If there're low then it worsens efficiency.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds very reassuring, many thanks.
Is it so that I am using regen3 mode even on empty roads which is why I am not getting range?
Also, my issue is not only estimated range but actual range of about 160.
Many thanks for further advise.
If you do a lot of very short journeys you'll use more energy heating the car so it will be a low average

Check the tyre pressures all round. Make sure they are all book pressure or a couple of psi more. If there're low then it worsens efficiency.
Thanks, does the miles/kwh take into account the energy used in heating or is it separate?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,098 Posts
The miles per kWh average should take into account all energy used for everything.

If the car starts with 220 miles all the time and your journeys profile Is vastly different then it's a bit odd that it's starting with the same figure all the time. My Soul EV would change according to weather and previous use and it was usually accurate. Make sure there isn't a reset going on after every journey.

If you can do a longer journey at a steady speed then it's worth doing 60 odd miles and seeing what battery percentage is used. See whether it's more consistent with the 220 miles prediction or the actual 160.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,863 Posts
If the car is heating while you drive then the mi/kWh will include the power used to heat the car.
Less than 3mi/kWh is low. It will probably be down to your driving. I don't have a Niro any more but I expected to get about 200 miles from a full battery on s long run.

If you are doing lots of sort runs you shouldn't be filling the battery then running it until empty and charging up again. The best way to łook after the battery is to just put some charger in the battery every day or so keeping the battery between 30-80%.
It's a different mind set to filling a petrol tank, little and often is the best approach and if you have a home charger the easiest way.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
160 does seem very low, but it's hard to tell without a controlled test. If you can do 10 miles on a motorway at a constant 60 MPH you can get a more useful figure. You have to reset the trip meter at the start of course.

The battery percentage can be a bit off. You can recalibrate it by charging to 100% and then running it down to 10% or lower. You start to get limited power at 8% so ideally be near home by that point!

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
347 Posts
I’ve only ever done short journeys so far about 15 miles each way, my last 100% charge showed range of 292 miles. I drive in Eco mode with auto regen 2. See photo. Currently on 82% charge and 234 miles left.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The miles per kWh average should take into account all energy used for everything.

If the car starts with 220 miles all the time and your journeys profile Is vastly different then it's a bit odd that it's starting with the same figure all the time. My Soul EV would change according to weather and previous use and it was usually accurate. Make sure there isn't a reset going on after every journey.

If you can do a longer journey at a steady speed then it's worth doing 60 odd miles and seeing what battery percentage is used. See whether it's more consistent with the 220 miles prediction or the actual 160.
Thanks. I did 120 miles yesterday (family of 4) at 2.8miles/kwh, driven mostly at 70 (average 55) but I was at reg3 and didn't use cruise control. This extrapolates to 180 miles range.
Today, I did 45 miles at 3.5miles/kwh, alone, mostly on roads with 40 and 30 limits, used cruise control partly, otherwise Reg 2 and 3. This extrapolates to 225 miles range.
All my previous journeys were short and gave me anything from 2-3.4 miles/kwh.
Many thanks. Happy to take advise
If the car is heating while you drive then the mi/kWh will include the power used to heat the car.
Less than 3mi/kWh is low. It will probably be down to your driving. I don't have a Niro any more but I expected to get about 200 miles from a full battery on s long run.

If you are doing lots of sort runs you shouldn't be filling the battery then running it until empty and charging up again. The best way to łook after the battery is to just put some charger in the battery every day or so keeping the battery between 30-80%.
It's a different mind set to filling a petrol tank, little and often is the best approach and if you have a home charger the easiest way.
Thanks, I only charge when below 20%. Only charged 3 times till now. Its lockdown so its not being used as normal. Lots of short trips at present, apart from 2 I have stated.
I am going to try at reg1. It was better today with cruise control so I guess reg3 in empty roads may be an issue.
Happy for advise.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I feel your pain. We got nice efficiency out of the car for the first week or two but since the cold weather hit, the efficiency has plummeted. It mostly depends on your journies and driving style though. I have only done a single long (50+ mi) journey in it yet and that was only 52ish miles in rush hour.

My average efficiency since mid-September is now 3.4 mi/kWh I think, and I coast whenever I can. Remember though, even at 3 mi/kWh that's still nearly 200 miles of range. Can't complain unless things still seem that bad in the summer! It's like gas bills, you can't judge them until you've got at least a whole year's worth of data.

Edit: unless you can control the throttle well enough to coast with your foot on the pedal, using regen level 3 during motorway driving is not a great idea. Try using cruise control or switching to level 0 during free flowing traffic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve only ever done short journeys so far about 15 miles each way, my last 100% charge showed range of 292 miles. I drive in Eco mode with auto regen 2. See photo. Currently on 82% charge and 234 miles left. View attachment 138931
Thanks, that's what I had expected when bought the car. What miles/kwh you normally get? Any driving tips? Do you think there may be a problem with the car?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel your pain. We got nice efficiency out of the car for the first week or two but since the cold weather hit, the efficiency has plummeted. It mostly depends on your journies and driving style though. I have only done a single long (50+ mi) journey in it yet and that was only 52ish miles in rush hour.

My average efficiency since mid-September is now 3.4 mi/kWh I think, and I coast whenever I can. Remember though, even at 3 mi/kWh that's still nearly 200 miles of range. Can't complain unless things still seem that bad in the summer! It's like gas bills, you can't judge them until you've got at least a whole year's worth of data.

Edit: unless you can control the throttle well enough to coast with your foot on the pedal, using regen level 3 during motorway driving is not a great idea. Try using cruise control or switching to level 0 during free flowing traffic.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
347 Posts
Thanks, that's what I had expected when bought the car. What miles/kwh you normally get? Any driving tips? Do you think there may be a problem with the car?
Get between 4 and max 4.7 so far.
Always preheat the car as well.
One thing that really reduces range is the air con fan, put it on and increase the speed see the range drop dramatically.
My wife and I are steady drivers and share the car.
No problem with the car in my opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One thing that really reduces range is the air con fan, put it on and increase the speed see the range drop dramatically.
Thanks, preheat is a good idea, do you do this with charging cable on?
Do you think there can be intrinsic issues in some of the batteries?
In my position, would you have got this checked or just refine driving style?

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
347 Posts
Thanks, preheat is a good idea, do you do this with charging cable on?
Do you think there can be intrinsic issues in some of the batteries?
In my position, would you have got this checked or just refine driving style?
No need to have charging cable connected in my 4+ so no is the answer.
I would refine my driving first, steady foot, I always used engine braking in my ice cars so fairly use to regen.

·
Registered
671 Posts
That's a good point. My above analysis is based on driving with no compromise for range. I have the air con on 21 C auto and music playing all the time. If I'm using Android Auto then my phone is obviously charging also. The first thing my wife does when turning on the car at the moment is turn on the heated seering wheel and seats and turn up the temperature to 22 C.

If you really need that extra range, you can always turn down the heating, lower the fans, turn off some of the comfort items, or even turn off the head unit.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Plenty of good advice above however it's important to note with short trip you'll use a one-off chunk of energy heating up the car each time.
This is why the range shown (which is for one continuous trip) ends up being more than you're achieving.
Short one to two mile trips in this weather can easily have the energy use down into the 2 kWh/mile zone.
This is fine and normal.
You can see the energy usage split by digging down a couple of levels in the "EV" screen.

For motorways I recommend knocking back the regen to level 1 (use the paddles) as regen doesn't help on the motorway and can make things worse with speeding up slowing down more rather than just letting it "glide". Smooth driving helps a great deal of course.
Generally the slower you go, the further you go.
I recently got down to sub 3kWh/mile on the motorway by doing 70mph real speed (i.e. 75 ish indicated) with some A-road/50mph zones.
This was yesterday when it was cold (between -1 and 4C) but dry or drizzle. (4 trips of 40 miles each).
Rain makes things a bit worse too btw.
My tyre pressures are currently 36 for the record.

You'll only see the rated WLTP of 282 in the summer at 60mph (and I have seen that!).

Hope that's of some use.

Reactions: prawlin

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a good point. My above analysis is based on driving with no compromise for range. I have the air con on 21 C auto and music playing all the time. If I'm using Android Auto then my phone is obviously charging also. The first thing my wife does when turning on the car at the moment is turn on the heated seering wheel and seats and turn up the temperature to 22 C.

If you really need that extra range, you can always turn down the heating, lower the fans, turn off some of the comfort items, or even turn off the head unit.
Thanks. My main concern at this point is..... Is there a problem with the car or my driving?
Clearly I see there are issues with my driving. Just surprised that it can bring the range down to 160odd. My appointment is on the 5th so I will do some test driving in the next few days and see how far it goes, before taking final call.
Also surprised that most reviews I read routinely state efficiency between 4-5miles per/kwh, without specifying that they are experts in using EVs.
Plenty of good advice above however it's important to note with short trip you'll use a one-off chunk of energy heating up the car each time.
This is why the range shown (which is for one continuous trip) ends up being more than you're achieving.
Short one to two mile trips in this weather can easily have the energy use down into the 2 kWh/mile zone.
This is fine and normal.
You can see the energy usage split by digging down a couple of levels in the "EV" screen.

For motorways I recommend knocking back the regen to level 1 (use the paddles) as regen doesn't help on the motorway and can make things worse with speeding up slowing down more rather than just letting it "glide". Smooth driving helps a great deal of course.
Generally the slower you go, the further you go.
I recently got down to sub 3kWh/mile on the motorway by doing 70mph real speed (i.e. 75 ish indicated) with some A-road/50mph zones.
This was yesterday when it was cold (between -1 and 4C) but dry or drizzle. (4 trips of 40 miles each).
Rain makes things a bit worse too btw.
My tyre pressures are currently 36 for the record.

You'll only see the rated WLTP of 282 in the summer at 60mph (and I have seen that!).

Hope that's of some use.
Indeed.... Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Thanks. My main concern at this point is..... Is there a problem with the car or my driving?
Clearly I see there are issues with my driving. Just surprised that it can bring the range down to 160odd. My appointment is on the 5th so I will do some test driving in the next few days and see how far it goes, before taking final call.
Also surprised that most reviews I read routinely state efficiency between 4-5miles per/kwh, without specifying that they are experts in using EVs.

Indeed.... Many thanks.
The car seems fine - just double check the tyre pressures.
You'd have to hooning it to get it down to 160 miles on a single trip! :)
The 4-5kWh is almost certainly summer testing on A roads/around town.
In the summer on those roads you can get 4.5+ without really trying.

You're right though, the best thing is go try it and get comfortable with it.
If you do need a rapid, remember you only need to add enough to get home - no need to "fill" it.
I recommend having a go with a few different models/providers to get comfortable with that aspect before you need it.

Reactions: prawlin

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Nope, only a problem with the driver ;)

it’s winter, it’s windy, it’s wet, it’s cold, and you haven’t checked your tyre pressures (the dealer will have set them low so the car feels nice and comfy for you).

if you fully charge this car, point it in a straight line, drive at a legal speed and don’t stop, I don’t think you can get less than 200 real miles from it.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts