Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a 120ah I3 via Onto so I know the characteristics of the range and the GOM. Yesterday I went to look at a used 94ah I3 2018 with 30k miles on the clock. On switch on it showed 50% charge 49 miles remaining. I then drove it for maybe 10 miles in eco pro at the sort of speeds that would usually increase the estimate on my current one but it was down to 39 miles when i finished. It was about 10 C and I don't think it was preconditioned, is this a bad sign or about what to expect from cold?

·
EGGY
1,404 Posts
We bought ours at 1 year old, it's now 4 years old, no noticeable drop in range. Distinct possibility the car had been sitting there a while, there is a "secret" menu on the drivers display, can't remember the combo of button press but google will, you can find a battery health (or %) on there, compare with your car and any you are looking at ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I might go back and do a deep investigation. I tried a different 94 ah one today and that was showing 121 miles at 95% and didn't go down at all during an 8 mile test drive. This wasn't precondtioned, at same temperature and is what I would have expected the previous one to have done.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
566 Posts
As you know, the predicted range varies wildly on how the car was driven and adapts slowly so it seems likely your 10 miles was not enough to improve it at all. That said, 100 miles total range on a 94Ah doesn't seem outlandish, and sounds pretty realistic. Suggest you check the SOH using the secret menu and ignore the range predictions from GOM.
My 120Ah manages to average barely 120 miles on a charge on my commute which is a mix of efficient 55mph motorway work and a quite inefficient 5 mile sprint at "just over the speed limit" honest guvnor.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Funny how these things vary. My 120ah seems to manage a genuine 165 miles admittedly with no motorway. It has the heat pump which (I think) can add about 10% in the right conditions.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
566 Posts
I have also done a genuine 165 miles in my 120ah, but that range drops very fast when you start cruising at motorway speed, and it's those faster sections that push my overall average down.
Truth is that people are used to ICE where the economy varies between "bad" and "slightly less bad", while the EV drivetrain can vary between "not too bad really" all the way to "really quite astonishing". And it's the astounding end of this range that allows manufacturers to quote "180 mile range" on a vehicle that has less than one gallon's worth of energy on board, leading to people buying, then realising their "180 mile range" i3 can barely do 100 miles in some circumstances.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
742 Posts
They should simplify the m/kWh figs . A bit like the old mpg numbers were they had to quote urban, @56mph, @75mph. I know it was also flawed but it’s easily possible to come up with something simple and transparent. When I look at the WLTP figs there seems to be a whole array of them and I can’t be bothered to work out what they all mean and try to adjust for the real world.

Figures for PHEVs need a total overhaul too. The typical 200 mpg numbers are meaningless. I’d want to know the efficiency of battery only and petrol only. They can throw a combined figure in but I’d rather calculate based on my own usage pattern.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Agree. Most people with EV’s currently are relatively early adopters with an interest and some understanding of the technology. As EV’s get more mainstream the divergence between ‘marketing’ figures and real world will be more of an issue. Thing is, you buy a petrol car and mpg is worse than you think then you just fill up more often. You buy an electric car and get taken by surprise with a rapidly falling GOM and you might end up waiting for a ‘flatbed’.
Like many on here my usual routine is covered by home charging - but next year I want to drive it to Leipzig so I’ll have to come to terms with rapid charging ......

·
Registered
322 Posts
Figures for PHEVs need a total overhaul too. The typical 200 mpg numbers are meaningless. I’d want to know the efficiency of battery only and petrol only. They can throw a combined figure in but I’d rather calculate based on my own usage pattern.
My VW dealer was able to give these numbers for the Passat GTE. Think I got the following:
  • WLTP extra high MPG for petrol only
  • WLTP high MPG for petrol only
  • WLTP medium MPG for petrol only
  • WLTP low MPG for petrol only
  • WLTP combined MPG for petrol only, and for hybrid drive
  • WLTP city range for battery only
  • WLTP combined range for battery only
So they have the data available, but it seems like you have to ask for it. It was very useful for working out my expected cost per mile based on my usage (although I halved the battery only ranges for my sums, because skeptic).

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I already have a 120ah I3 via Onto so I know the characteristics of the range and the GOM. Yesterday I went to look at a used 94ah I3 2018 with 30k miles on the clock. On switch on it showed 50% charge 49 miles remaining. I then drove it for maybe 10 miles in eco pro at the sort of speeds that would usually increase the estimate on my current one but it was down to 39 miles when i finished. It was about 10 C and I don't think it was preconditioned, is this a bad sign or about what to expect from cold?
I'd have expected 1 mile per 1% on the coldest of winter days without pre-con, not at 10c. I would suggest that rather than there being something wrong with it, the car may have been used as a cheap 'go cart' run around by the garage reflected in a 2 mile per kwh recent pattern of usage?? If it's two thirds empty by the end of your 10 mile test drive, it can't really reflect much of your better driving in the remaining GOM range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, my 2016 94ah rex GOM is down to 105 miles at 100% now the weather has got down to 5 to 10 deg C. In the summer at +25 it was at 135 miles or more at 100%. 49 miles at 50% seems reasonable on that basis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts