Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might sound like a stupid question, but is there any such thing as a portable charger on wheels available (essentially a large rechargeable battery itself). I'm sure I've seen such things used for welding etc. but maybe not suitable for EV's or would be too expensive to consider? Just asking as it might be a solution for people with no easy on street charging option.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Might sound like a stupid question, but is there any such thing as a portable charger on wheels available (essentially a large rechargeable battery itself). .... Just asking as it might be a solution for people with no easy on street charging option.
But where would you recharge the portable battery? As it would be heavy, it would need to be self-propelled, ie another BEV with a facility to transfer the charge from one battery to another.

What is the RAC's experience with RAC on the road with EVRESCUE portable EV charging system since 2014?

·
Registered
621 Posts
How much charge are you anticipating this gives?

An EV battery is some hundred kilos and takes up significant space...

A truly portable battery would surely only give a few miles of range maximum.

I don't think it is a solution for people without on street charging.

Probably better to not have an EV if you don't have access to a charging point nearby your house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd imagine something like a trolley type device, so 100kg would be ok, which could be left charging whenever and wherever convenient (in front of house?), then wheeled a short distance to sit next to the EV and charge it overnight. It would avoid trailing cables, lack of dedicated space etc.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Then there's the security angle to consider, if its not fastened down some scally will be off with it :mad:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'd imagine something like a trolley type device, so 100kg would be ok, which could be left charging whenever and wherever convenient (in front of house?), then wheeled a short distance to sit next to the EV and charge it overnight. It would avoid trailing cables, lack of dedicated space etc.
And it would be very pricey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,782 Posts
Or you could solve this problem with a long cable...

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
No idea, but he certainly looks like he's thinking 'how did I get lumbered with this gig, I want to get back to the lads in the canteen'...

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
Nice try RAC but charging with Type 2 takes too long too!

In reality RAC need PHEV vans with say 20kWh than is kept at above 50%. That would allow 10kWh fill up which should be enough to donate enough juice to reach nearby rapid. Connection needs to be 50kW DC for quick fill up.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Might sound like a stupid question, but is there any such thing as a portable charger on wheels available (essentially a large rechargeable battery itself). I'm sure I've seen such things used for welding etc. but maybe not suitable for EV's or would be too expensive to consider? Just asking as it might be a solution for people with no easy on street charging option.
Ideally ... they should make a car with removable battery .. like the e-bike

You take out the battery from the car .. and then charge at home or in the office .. easy ...

Only issue ... car battery are normally over 100kg ... tesla over 500kg ... in other words 1kg per 0.1kwh ...

So .. in best scenario ... 2kwh battery will be 20kg .. that is the edge of what can be still be consider "portable"

With 2kwh ... is possible to make no more then 10km of trip in a car

Maybe for super small city car it can make sense .. since range may jump to 20km in smallest car .. and it can make sense this approach

Still 20kg to carry back and for every day multiple time a day .. is not for everybody

·
Registered
15,782 Posts
Nice try RAC but charging with Type 2 takes too long too!

In reality RAC need PHEV vans with say 20kWh than is kept at above 50%. That would allow 10kWh fill up which should be enough to donate enough juice to reach nearby rapid. Connection needs to be 50kW DC for quick fill up.
I think the idea is it is for emergencies to get you to the next charging post. However I imagine in almost all cases it would be quicker and easier to tow the car.

Have you any idea of the size of battery/generator needed to supply 50 Kw DC?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The box the RAC chap has, could hold a max of around 5kwh of power and so could get most cars about 15miles after an hour or so charge. I recently had a tow from AA , and they have strict instructions not to flat tow EVS, I had to agree and sign all sorts of waivers to shift mine. So unless they have the towing dolly on board you would have to have the equivalent of AA relay.
As to charging on the street using a movable box, well the battery in a 20+kw hr pack will weigh over 200kg, so not readily moved around, Charging would require the charger to be integrated or externally mounted.
There are now a number of Charge point makers that build small boxes designed to be fitted to a standard steel Lamp post (the thinner pole not the fatter base. ) so rolling out more charge points could be more cost effective than a dedicated post. But the lamps are unlikely to have a 7kw capability.
Personally I would like to see some overhead swing out kit, like many garages used to have years ago to get petrol filler pipes over the pavement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, I agree with e_lm_70, that a removable battery, perhaps leased, would be a good step forward. On the basis that technology is continually advancing/evolving and that in 5 years batteries will hopefully be half the size, weight and twice the power.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Actually, I agree with e_lm_70, that a removable battery, perhaps leased, would be a good step forward. On the basis that technology is continually advancing/evolving and that in 5 years batteries will hopefully be half the size, weight and twice the power.
5y is quite optimistic ... but yes, energy density and price for battery is moving in the right direction with "speed" .. still double energy density may happen in 10y ... I expect price to drop faster then not battery getting smaller

I think for small city car, like a twizy, make removable battery can make lot of sense, already now

For bigger car ... it is hard to forecast when there could be a possible game change

One issue, specially for big/normal EV car .. it is that battery location is by design in the core frame of the care, so hard to replaced, and there is not really much alternative location for them

·
Registered
15,782 Posts
Funny thing is the battery in the Tesla Model S is removable - in less than 30 seconds.

Tesla even trialled the service, but no-one wanted it. Even though you can theoretically buy an upgraded battery, it's currently more economic to sell the old car and buy a new one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Funny thing is the battery in the Tesla Model S is removable - in less than 30 seconds.

Tesla even trialled the service, but no-one wanted it. Even though you can theoretically buy an upgraded battery, it's currently more economic to sell the old car and buy a new one.
Rather selling the car, strip it out and take the battery and convert to home energy battery storage. There would be a possibility in doing so as this may require some work around the battery chemistry and someone would be doing the leg work already.
;)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Now if EV's had a tow hook and a rear connection to the main battery, how about a leaseable battery trailer which could be picked up at one service station, transfer its charge to your main car battery as you drive, and then left at the next service station ready to be recharged?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts