Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The granny cable for my GTE seems to have failed. It will not charge car anymore and usually ends up with all green lights but the car with an orange led on. The car charges fine on home charger.

I'm told this is a common problem on the early VW EV. Mine is MY15.

Before i replace it I was hoping to have a look inside to see if ti can be fixed. Has any opened one ? How ?
Is there a service manual for the EVSE anywhere ?

Has anyone had any luck getting one fixed ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have not opened one up but I believe they are very expensive from VW however the good news is that it's not a VW specific part so you can pick up a cheaper secondhand one from eBay that is from a BMW or something.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine has failed with three flashing red LEDs (MY17) on EVSE. Booked into VW for diagnosis, though it's failed without being attached to car. They won't even look without the car going in, which seems pointless as the car charges itself from ICE running. Hoping it will be covered under warranty...

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, the EVSE was "catastrophically failed" apparently. Couldn't give me any further information. I did get a new unit under warranty, which is considerably chunkier than the previous unit. Interestingly this one has a changeable fuse, where the previous didn't.

My guess is they found the weedier unit which came with the car is now replaced by the chunky unit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great it was replaced under warranty. Interesting that it has been beefed up. Thanks for reporting back on the outcome.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The newer TE Connectivity unit is much better built than the older unit.
Mine failed with same symptoms as OP and was replaced under warranty as well.
I have taken mine apart but no obvious signs of failure. Both contactors appear to work although I haven't gone as far to test much more than that, too many projects!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts