Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using portable generators to charge? I was thinking that it might be an alternative to getting range extenders/PHEVs on a long trip in case the charging stations are down.

Super Moderator
Usually the cars handbook tells you not to, but if you have a genny that gives a pure sine wave and can run over 3kw fr several hours, I can't see why not.

Of course, it'll be quite big, noisy, smelly, and you can't use it while the car is running without some clever modifications, so for now it's less useful than just findin the nearest 3 pin plug.

Registered
I've been thinking about this occasionally for the last few years, it struck me what I really needed was one of those tiny little trailers like this -
http://www.screwfix.com/p/small-trailer-1726-x-1200-x-824mm/80389
Or maybe even smaller so it's only half as long (but the one above would give a bit of extra 'boot space')
Mount something like this-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-imdy2500lbi-2200w-inverter-generator-230v/16100
In a locked compartment with an EVSE and you have a REX. But going to into town/work etc. The "REX Trailer (TM)" can stay at home. Going camping, to see the in-laws, France, etc. No worries about range.

The genny above has pure sine wave output, and the official 10Amp should draw around the same output as that genny.
The only real issue is that it would be better to be able to charge while driving, which may be do-able using the Brusa chargers that some of the MNL forum member use to rapid charge at home.

All that said, for 拢469, I'm almost tempted to get one and stick it in the boot ;) REx Leaf anyone?

Super Moderator
Charging while driving is pretty pointless with 2kw of power, you're talking speeds less than 10mph there. A 10-15kw genny would make a suitable Rex, plus the charger obviously. I think you're definitely talking trailer for those power levels.

Wonder whether you could buy (and convince to work) the Rex from an i3?

Registered
Yes, you have very valid point there. Generators get very expensive after 5-6kW, but a nice unit from crashed i3...
Hmmm... <evil genius manic laughter>...

Didn't realise that's a 25kW generator... probably cheaper as it doesn't have to go through a 240V malarky in the charging process... I think I'll need to do some research... :)

Super Moderator
25kW motor. The generator output will be slightly less.

I've posted this before somewhere. -- There are some rotary engine generators out there that are very compact for the power output. Not sure if it is possible to buy one.

Registered

Super Moderator

Registered

Registered
Remember... most EVs are not approved for towing anything... even something small and light. You won't get a tow bar and if you make up your own then you risk your insurance not paying up in the event of an accident.:)
Or I could just buy one?
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1071297_want-to-tow-with-your-2012-nissan-leaf-now-you-can

But you're right it won't be EC Directive 94/20/EC certified... Oh well, scratch that idea then.
Suitcase genny and DIY EVSE in the boot it is then!

Or may be just a secondary battery pack that fills the lower half of the boot? Hmmm....
Or a Mr. Fusion nuclear reactor... :)

Super Moderator
Cubewano has built a one off:

http://cubewano.com/products/range-extenders/

Their main products are rotary engines and compact APUs for UAVs. The range extender probably is a repackaged APU. I doubt they sell to the public, and if they do the prices won't be low.

Registered
I've been thinking about this occasionally for the last few years, it struck me what I really needed was one of those tiny little trailers like this -
Small Trailer 1726 x 1200 x 824mm
Or maybe even smaller so it's only half as long (but the one above would give a bit of extra 'boot space')
Mount something like this-
Impax IMDY2500LBI 2200W Inverter Generator 230V
In a locked compartment with an EVSE and you have a REX. But going to into town/work etc. The "REX Trailer (TM)" can stay at home. Going camping, to see the in-laws, France, etc. No worries about range.

The genny above has pure sine wave output, and the official 10Amp should draw around the same output as that genny.
The only real issue is that it would be better to be able to charge while driving, which may be do-able using the Brusa chargers that some of the MNL forum member use to rapid charge at home.

All that said, for 拢469, I'm almost tempted to get one and stick it in the boot ;) REx Leaf anyone?
Hi .. these little trailers do not shock absorbers... When thay start to bounce.. they don't stop... You have to slow down to a crawl...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts