Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 30k Tekna is displaying a tyre alert on switch-on. 4 New tyres fitted 3 months ago. Cinturato ALL SEASON PLUS - Car tyre | Pirelli
On investigation one of the sensors is not registering in the TPMS.
My questions:
1) Has anyone stripped one down and replaced the battery in one of these sensors in a Tekna?
2) Level of difficulty
3) Is it even worth it?
4) Any idea what a stealership would charge for replacement when in for general service which is now due?

Thanks all, Tony.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 30k Tekna is displaying a tyre alert on switch-on. 4 New tyres fitted 3 months ago. Cinturato ALL SEASON PLUS - Car tyre | Pirelli
On investigation one of the sensors is not registering in the TPMS.
My questions:
1) Has anyone stripped one down and replaced the battery in one of these sensors in a Tekna?
2) Level of difficulty
3) Is it even worth it?
4) Any idea what a stealership would charge for replacement when in for general service which is now due?

Thanks all, Tony.
My experience was that the dealer sent the car to a tyre fitter when we had one fail under warrantee anyway, so seems little point paying them to add their markup when you could just go direct.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My experience was that the dealer sent the car to a tyre fitter when we had one fail under warrantee anyway, so seems little point paying them to add their markup when you could just go direct.
I just rang my local stealership for a fitted price. They came back all enthusiastic and said £129 inc VAT. - Ao_O great price (in their eyes) because it is in with the annual service, I dread to think how much a stand-alone fitting would be.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
They are taking the michael. The part is only £45 from Nissan so that's a huge mark up to remove the wheel, the tyre, programme the sensor and replace. As above, any good tyre shop can do it for you.
  1. No, I doubt that you could both dismantle it and pot it back up successfully
  2. High
  3. No
  4. My local wanted £45 for one.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If they are the normal shcrader TPMS valves they should not need coding, I have had some replaced on Range Rovers and our i3 (damaged during a tyre change) and on all four occasions the valve worked after about ten minutes of driving.

Unless Nissan use a special system just go to a local tyre dealer.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they are the normal shcrader TPMS valves they should not need coding, I have had some replaced on Range Rovers and our i3 (damaged during a tyre change) and on all four occasions the valve worked after about ten minutes of driving.

Unless Nissan use a special system just go to a local tyre dealer.
Think so...like @dk6780 said they are just taking the pi$$.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think so...like @dk6780 said they are just taking the pi$$.
It looks like everyone else is taking the pi$$ too....the Hendy Nissan Poole quote is only marginally more expensive than all the various tyre dealers I have had quotes from the last couple of days. The cheapest was £85 +VAT. I rang Hendy Nissan again and they reduced it to £107.72.
Looks like it's probably best to get them to do it after all, I'll get the brake fluid changed as well as the minor service to keep the breakdown thingy going......just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts