Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

Registered
That's probably considered to be a 'feature' - along with some of the other irrational features adopted by Nissan.
It's definitely not a feature for the headlights to come on in daylight after prolonged sitting in shadow, then not to turn off again when you emerge. It happened to me again today, when I was stuck under an underpass for several minutes in heavy traffic.

I have had a couple of embarrassing moments when I have thought I had enough time sitting at traffic lights to turn the car off and start it again. Now I just grit my teeth, turn it to sidelights only and wait until I'm parked up.

Registered
It's definitely not a feature for the headlights to come on in daylight after prolonged sitting in shadow, then not to turn off again when you emerge. It happened to me again today, when I was stuck under an underpass for several minutes in heavy traffic.

I have had a couple of embarrassing moments when I have thought I had enough time sitting at traffic lights to turn the car off and start it again. Now I just grit my teeth, turn it to sidelights only and wait until I'm parked up.
Couldn't agree more !

My car has been examined by two different dealers and in each case they've covered up the sensor, lights came on, uncovered and lights went off again so concluded there is no problem - even though I had very carefully explained that most of the time it works OK but has the occasional spasm as JeffG describes above. Indeed, it doesn't even need to be 'prolonged' sitting in shadow it takes about 5 secs for lights to turn on and it's a lottery whether they turn off again as soon as it brightens up (as you'd think it was designed to do !) or stay on until next ignition off event.

Registered
My L:eaf is in the dealership at the moment for its first service (拢159 for what?) and two recalls. They've offered me an ICE replacement - no thanks - but the car will need to wait until Monday as the battery is now locked out and the part hasn't been delivered. So a battery issue and the second recall was something to do with the automatic emergency brake they said.

Registered
Couldn't agree more !

My car has been examined by two different dealers and in each case they've covered up the sensor, lights came on, uncovered and lights went off again so concluded there is no problem - even though I had very carefully explained that most of the time it works OK but has the occasional spasm as JeffG describes above. Indeed, it doesn't even need to be 'prolonged' sitting in shadow it takes about 5 secs for lights to turn on and it's a lottery whether they turn off again as soon as it brightens up (as you'd think it was designed to do !) or stay on until next ignition off event.
It could be related to the intensity of the shadow. In darkness, they will come on immediately, but I think it's graduated depending of the depth of the shadow, and maybe the ambient brightness. It was definitely a couple of minutes yesterday on a bright sunny day. Just covering the sensor isn't going to duplicate the problem precisely.

There is another similar underpass nearby on a very quiet country road with hardly any traffic where I could maybe do some experiments. Once it's reproducible every time, I could take my dealer out there. :)

Here is where I had in mind:

But this is the one where I have actually experienced the problem:

Registered
My Leaf appears to turn on the headlights when it has direct sun on the front of the car - e.g. exiting a tunnel. There is sometimes a warning light and a 'ding' under the same circumstances, which clears immediately (annoyingly, even before you have time to look down at the dash).

I suspect that the forward facing camera is blinded, the warning is sometimes sounded (not every time) and the headlights come on to maximise forward visibility for the camera.

Registered
Yep, the recall notice has gone from my dashboard too. Crazy Nissan 馃お
I've had mine done now, but curious how yours showed up on your car dashboard. I only saw it in the Nissan Connect app or whatever it's called now. Did you happen to take a photo of the dashboard display showing it?

Registered
I've had mine done now, but curious how yours showed up on your car dashboard. I only saw it in the Nissan Connect app or whatever it's called now. Did you happen to take a photo of the dashboard display showing it?
I assume he meant the You+Nissan web site dashboard. They have disappeared from mine too.

Premium Member
My L:eaf is in the dealership at the moment for its first service (拢159 for what?) and two recalls. They've offered me an ICE replacement - no thanks - but the car will need to wait until Monday as the battery is now locked out and the part hasn't been delivered. So a battery issue and the second recall was something to do with the automatic emergency brake they said.
So this happened to us today as well -took 2018 n -connecta for service and they mentioned 2 recalls -one was for a software update due to emergency brake going mad( ours woulod do emergency sometimes when car in front is 4-5 meters away -now we know why) second is about replacing some lithium plate . When I mentioned that is only for US according to websites ,answer was "It is in UK also " So our car has to stay for another day till it's all fixed ... I wonder if we would be any wiser without taking it to nissan for service? :unsure::unsure::unsure: There is nothing on Nissan UK website .

Registered
My dealer checked twice, at the end of August and beginning of September, and showed me a print out to confirm no recalls required for my car. Today, I booked my Tekna in for its first service an they told me there were two recalls to be done each taking an hour, the battery earth and the emergency braking. My guess is that dealers want to do the recal work on the same day as the service (and why wouldn't they) and so you only get told once you book a service.

Registered
My dealer checked twice, at the end of August and beginning of September, and showed me a print out to confirm no recalls required for my car. Today, I booked my Tekna in for its first service an they told me there were two recalls to be done each taking an hour, the battery earth and the emergency braking. My guess is that dealers want to do the recal work on the same day as the service (and why wouldn't they) and so you only get told once you book a service.
Mine was done outside of a normal service so no, that isn't the case.

Registered
You still have to wonder why the recall would not appear earlier in September but is now being required? Both are safety issues and should be on gov website as well.

Registered
Had my first service yesterday, when they also did the 2 'recall' items - battery plate and emergency brake.

When I booked the car in (2 weeks ago) I also requested they deal with remedial work as per the Tech Bulletin TB/RA 19 01. I even sent them a copy of the bulletin.

I arrived at the dealer to be told that they couldnt source the MolyKote gn paste and didnt know where to obtain it from as their supplier did not stock it! They had sent a request to Nissan for a part number for it! I showed them that by simply entering this paste name into Google I could source it from loads of places. They told me that once they were able to source the paste (from their existing suppliers)

What an absolute shower.

Registered
Letter from Nissan dropped on the doormat today, with subject "Re: Vehicle Campaign" alerting me to the IEB issue that needs to be updated (a c.1 hour software update, which will "of course, be free of charge"). Car is due its first service in a month so will arrange the update at the same time.

Registered
Had my first service yesterday, when they also did the 2 'recall' items - battery plate and emergency brake.

When I booked the car in (2 weeks ago) I also requested they deal with remedial work as per the Tech Bulletin TB/RA 19 01. I even sent them a copy of the bulletin.

I arrived at the dealer to be told that they couldnt source the MolyKote gn paste and didnt know where to obtain it from as their supplier did not stock it! They had sent a request to Nissan for a part number for it! I showed them that by simply entering this paste name into Google I could source it from loads of places. They told me that once they were able to source the paste (from their existing suppliers)

What an absolute shower.
It's not your dealer's fault specifically. I booked my car in earlier this week to have the drive shaft click fixed together with the two recalls. They did the recalls but weren't able to source the grease from their usual or any other local supplier, so couldn't do it. They have ended up ordering it from Amazon (!) and will collect the car when they have it. They apologised, saying that Nissan issue these technical bulletins but don't supply the wherewithal to carry them out.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts