Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
50 kW give me range 134 mile's In Feb this one just be over 100 perhaps .

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
There are lots of people who rarely, if ever, do over 100 miles in a day. For example, I do over 15,000 miles/year and have only done over 100/miles in a day 6 times in two years (all in rented ICEs, 3 times towing which EVs in my price range cannot do).
The two people that I work most closely with have ICE on PCP - one recently got a new car after their old car completed 6,300 miles in 3 years, the other managed 12,000 in four years. I haven't converted either to EVs as they are not bothered by efficiency etc., and there were not EVs in the segment that they chose. The alleged new small SUV from Renault will suit one, the other is awaiting a soft-top. Both will only change based on PCP price.

·
Registered
870 Posts
There are lots of people who rarely, if ever, do over 100 miles in a day. For example, I do over 15,000 miles/year and have only done over 100/miles in a day 6 times in two years (all in rented ICEs, 3 times towing which EVs in my price range cannot do).
The two people that I work most closely with have ICE on PCP - one recently got a new car after their old car completed 6,300 miles in 3 years, the other managed 12,000 in four years. I haven't converted either to EVs as they are not bothered by efficiency etc., and there were not EVs in the segment that they chose. The alleged new small SUV from Renault will suit one, the other is awaiting a soft-top. Both will only change based on PCP price.
You make complete sense ....

But.

Logic has nothing to do with it, alot of people want the option drive other end country even if they only go shops and back.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Exactly as above and the price wont be much cheaper if it came to market as the extra faff with the battery packs would negate some of the saving.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Crikey, even my 35.8 kWh e-Golf manages 125 miles in those conditions at 60mph.

I am generally a fan of smaller batteries and sweating the asset, and this desire to have an ever bigger battery ‘just in case’ is wasteful at this stage of the mainstream EVs emergence.

So, bring the smaller battery cars on, people will get their heads around it especially with better charging infrastructure.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,709 Posts
Normally a smaller less dense pack doesn’t get so hot during rapid charging. If you could therefore charge at an average of 80kW from 20 to 80%, it would be perfect for city dwellers who like to get away a couple of times a month to visit family and friends.

A 15 minute charge at a 150kW CCS charger would add a useful 60 miles to your range even at a consumption of 3mpkWh. These higher powered chargers are becoming more common. It would save urbanites lugging around an unnecessarily large battery for the sake of a couple of longer journeys a month. Faster charging is also handy if you rely on public charging points due to not having any off street parking at home.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Normally a smaller less dense pack doesn’t get so hot during rapid charging. If you could therefore charge at an average of 80kW from 20 to 80%, it would be perfect for city dwellers who like to get away a couple of times a month to visit family and friends.

A 15 minute charge at a 150kW CCS charger would add a useful 60 miles to your range even at a consumption of 3mpkWh. These higher powered chargers are becoming more common. It would save urbanites lugging around an unnecessarily large battery for the sake of a couple of longer journeys a month. Faster charging is also handy if you rely on public charging points due to not having any off street parking at home.
The problem with that is pushing more juice into the same amount of cells means a higher C rating.
Not good for current battery life. More akin to a certain amount of the pack being SuperCaps really.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts