Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
401 - 420 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Based in Dublin, Ireland. Finally got the main traction battery replaced after letters from hyundai and calls etc and they are returning it today. I've been hearing some people saying they get less range with their "new" batteries, so will be keeping a very close eye on the battery as I know exactly what range I was getting out of my last battery on my longer trips in this weather. I know it'll take a few charges to get the GOM to pick up correctly, but had been doing my 225km trip and getting there with 47-49% consistently, so we'll see how it goes.
I very much doubt you will see any difference in range, mine is behaving pretty much identically to the old battery. I suspect folks that think their range is reduced is merely down to the GOM, not the battery. Just keep an eye on the battery fluid level, I had to top mine up after the first couple of rapid charges.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I very much doubt you will see any difference in range, mine is behaving pretty much identically to the old battery. I suspect folks that think their range is reduced is merely down to the GOM, not the battery. Just keep an eye on the battery fluid level, I had to top mine up after the first couple of rapid charges.
Ya maybe. Just got the car back there, 450kms on the Gom with 95%, so that's looking good, obviously I won't know until a longer trip. Had a look under the car, definitely looks different, very shiny, maybe my old one was dirty, and seems to be lower than the previous one. Thanks for the tip on the battery fluid level!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ya maybe. Just got the car back there, 450kms on the Gom with 95%, so that's looking good, obviously I won't know until a longer trip. Had a look under the car, definitely looks different, very shiny, maybe my old one was dirty, and seems to be lower than the previous one. Thanks for the tip on the battery fluid level!
Mine left with 451, came back with 452km, it was fully charged, I wasn’t expecting that but apparently it’s supposed to be part of the process.
I thought the same that it looked lower too, think it’s just because it’s now so shiny! Did you take a picture of the battery label, can be found at the back of the battery?
No problem, I‘m sure that it was just an airlock rather than a leak, but either way it’s worth keeping an eye on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine left with 451, came back with 452km, it was fully charged, I wasn’t expecting that but apparently it’s supposed to be part of the process.
I thought the same that it looked lower too, think it’s just because it’s now so shiny! Did you take a picture of the battery label, can be found at the back of the battery?
No problem, I‘m sure that it was just an airlock rather than a leak, but either way it’s worth keeping an eye on.
Ya happy with everything so far, going to do a quick charge before my long trip this weekend, just to make sure everything is working. Yes took a picture, date on it says 2022/03/09, which if that's when the battery was made I'm happy :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ya happy with everything so far, going to do a quick charge before my long trip this weekend, just to make sure everything is working. Yes took a picture, date on it says 2022/03/09, which if that's when the battery was made I'm happy :D
Sounds about right, taking into account shipping times. Mine was end of 2021, so similar gap between manufacturE and fitting. The only reason I looked as there was a rumour circulating that some of the batteries were refurbished. My conclusion was that if that’s the case they at least usEd a new container! Here’s to many more years of happy motoring…

·
Registered
181 Posts
For those of you who have had their Battery replaced by Hyundai, does that new battery now once again have an 8 year warranty to protect against defects and range loss, Like the old one did that would have just been removed?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
314 Posts
For those of you who have had their Battery replaced by Hyundai, does that new battery now once again have an 8 year warranty to protect against defects and range loss, Like the old one did that would have just been removed?

Thanks

Dan
The original letter I received in France mentioned an additional year warranty for the car, but has not been spoken of since I moved to Portugal where there has been absolutely no recompense for the issue.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If a new battery is fitted then I would assume that it comes with that 8 year warranty, bearing in mind the old one is being replaced albeit as a safety issue but I'd imagine that is also classed as a warranty replacement? Hence the new battery should come with a full 8 year warranty as standard along with paperwork to confirm that's the case also. Will be interesting to see if this is the case the more batteries that are replaced in UK, as that will be the first question I'll be asking as abd when I get the call saying its my cars turn to get new battery. Although not holding my breath in getting it done this year I'm in South West Scotkand so I'm thinking it'll be December 2023 at the earliest for me :eek::oops::rolleyes::D:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
If a new battery is fitted then I would assume that it comes with that 8 year warranty, bearing in mind the old one is being replaced albeit as a safety issue but I'd imagine that is also classed as a warranty replacement? Hence the new battery should come with a full 8 year warranty as standard along with paperwork to confirm that's the case also. Will be interesting to see if this is the case the more batteries that are replaced in UK, as that will be the first question I'll be asking as abd when I get the call saying its my cars turn to get new battery. Although not holding my breath in getting it done this year I'm in South West Scotkand so I'm thinking it'll be December 2023 at the earliest for me :eek::oops::rolleyes::D:D
Sadly I don’t think it works like that, if you were buying the battery new you could take that view, but as it’s a “free” replacement it will only continue the existing warranty unless otherwise stated. Getting anything done under warranty here is a chore, so I’m not expecting the letter from Hyundai to be respected, but I will certainly try if I still have the car then!

yes I guess the further you are from Tilbury the longer the wait. I’m not sure why they are taking that approach, it’s not a difficult job if you have the correct tools.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
3,096 Posts
I also think the warranty on the replacement traction battery would echo that of the cars remaining warranty.
no the car comes with 5 years unlimited miles and the battery with8 years and 100kmiles. So different to the car and drivetrain

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
no the car comes with 5 years unlimited miles and the battery with8 years and 100kmiles. So different to the car and drivetrain
And that's why I think the warranty on the new battery should be 8 years. I mean, if you buy a new car, you don't expect the warranty to have started from when the car left the factory if it's been sitting on a forecourt for a couple of years.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
It is very rare that replacements of anything under a warranty get a full term warranty on the replacement. It usually just gets the remaining original warranty.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I understand where you're coming from Paul, however, with the battery being such a vital part of the vehicle we should expect a decent amount of warranty length with it surely? Its like getting a replacement ICE engine if you only have a year left on original car warranty are we really going to accept that the replacement engine only gets a one year warranty in line with the vehicles warranty also?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sadly I don’t think it works like that, if you were buying the battery new you could take that view, but as it’s a “free” replacement it will only continue the existing warranty unless otherwise stated. Getting anything done under warranty here is a chore, so I’m not expecting the letter from Hyundai to be respected, but I will certainly try if I still have the car then!

yes I guess the further you are from Tilbury the longer the wait. I’m not sure why they are taking that approach, it’s not a difficult job if you have the correct tools.
Still not heard anything & we live in Essex, not far from Tilbury 😒😔🙄

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last week I emailed Hyundai asking if they could give me any indication as to when my battery would be replaced. Have now got the following reply:

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your email, we are currently working in Scotland and the West Midlands area. We are not able to advise as of yet when we will be in your area but are working as hard as we can to get all these recalls done. Once we are in your area we will notify you and request you come into one of our dealerships. I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

401 - 420 of 468 Posts