Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm looking at a 2014 i3 Bev as a second car for my Mrs. The range isnt an issue to be honest it will be lucky if it does 20 miles a day and she gets free charging at work. This would be our first electric car in fact I've never even had a hybrid. Originally we were looking at a 30kwh leaf but this i3 popped up local and she fell in love. My issue is I seem to have read that older i3 are nothing but trouble. Its not from a BMW dealer but a reputable car dealer in my area and comes with a 12 month warranty wise warranty. Its done 38000 miles 1 owner reasonable spec. The big question is am I just stepping into trouble with an older i3. I don't really want to spend any more than about 10-11k. Any info or tips from die hard ev owners greatly appreciated . Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Early i3 = expensive issues, poor support from most BMW garages. If you don't have a cast iron guarantee/warranty then do not touch it. Warrantywise is unlikely to meet expensive component failures that can and do happen on BMWs of this age.

·
Registered
BMW i3
451 Posts
From reading up on i3’s here/FaceBook i3 group and speaking to an EV dealer I concluded that I needed to buy one built from 2015 onwards (pref the “facelift” - these had black mirrors).

If I was spending £10/11k think I’d go for a Kia Soul - had been thinking of these or a Leaf 30 before I went for the i3 (to replace our Leaf 24).

Soul looks like a solid bet, has a 7 year warranty and the battery doesn’t degrade as much as the Leaf.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would go the opposite way here.
"I'm looking at a 2014 i3 Bev as a second car for my Mrs. The range isnt an issue to be honest it will be lucky if it does 20 miles a day and she gets free charging at work. This would be our first electric car in fact I've never even had a hybrid. Originally we were looking at a 30kwh leaf but this i3 popped up local and she fell in love. ".

The positives are that fuel costs are zero, because charging is available at work. That isn't 'minimal cost' you will actually save money on running costs.
There is no REX so a lot of the maintenance liability simply doesn't exist.
The majority of people are fixated on range, so a low range BEV doesn't have a large market.
Use this to limited appeal to bargain the purchase price down. (Also check the tyre wear, as buying new ones could add significantly to the purchase price).
Plus, if parts were going to fail they will probably have failed by now, so the fact it's lasted over 5 years is in its favour.
The i3 has one of the best battery management systems around, with both heating and cooling to get the most performance out of the battery, so I wouldn't have any worries on that score.

You don't need to spend on a charge point at home; even in the winter you can precondition at home, so the car is warm and windows frost free when she gets into it.
A lot of people don't realise i3 preconditioning is done from the battery, there is no need to be plugged into a charge point. Your wife can even precondition before leaving work, so the car is warm for both journeys. With a low mileage journey all this power will be recouped while at work (I'm assuming a 6 to 8 hour working day, rather than a 4 hour half day).

If, during a cold week, the charging at work doesn't completely fill the battery it will largely offset the power usage over that week. Your fall back is to home charge via a 13A socket over the weekend to completely fill the battery.

The last point is "she fell in love"; that must be worth something.
By all means point out the risk, that BMW charges are high, and there is a school of thought that says 'don't run an old i3', but counter that by the points above, and say if she is prepared to take the risk, you are too.
That should take care of any recriminations if something does go wrong, but I think it unlikely. That example is made for your circumstances, take the opportunity.

I hope it's still there when you go back!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
They look like decent cars but there seems to be reliability issues and problems cost a fortune to fix especially on the early high mileage cars.

For that budget I would get a 16 plate 30kwh Leaf you can get a nice Tekna for 10k or less with low miles.

As long as you check the battery is OK with Leaf spy they are very reliable, the only issue being the front suspension strut towers which are easily protected with some cheap strut covers and silicone grease. Buy from a Nissan main dealer approved used you get 12 months warranty as well.

If she loves the I3 well what can you do. Be prepared for expensive potential repairs down the line though. They are relatively rare cars as well so used parts are not usually an option.

I would allow for a decent annual service / repair budget if going for an older I3 based on what I have seen on here. Some of the repairs can run to thousands on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for all the replies. I think we are going to go for it as mentioned above it's the wife's car and she love the i3. Thank you Davidss for breaking it down too. I'll update you guys Monday when the decision is made. Thanks again everybody

·
Registered
861 Posts
Most of the issues on early i3s seem to be on the Rex. I would be happy to buy an older BEV i3, in fact, we are considering getting my wife one as she also does very low mileage.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thank you so much for all the replies. I think we are going to go for it as mentioned above it's the wife's car and she love the i3. Thank you Davidss for breaking it down too. I'll update you guys Monday when the decision is made. Thanks again everybody
Feel free to buy mine

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts