Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, off to Exeter yesterday for another Leaf-enabled, Ecotricity-fueled family day out in the glorious south-west sunshine.(y)

This was our third Leaf-leap to Exeter and this time we headed for the John Lewis car park which has two 7kW Podpoint chargers.

Won't moan about the very heavy traffic and the half hour to go 4 miles from the motorway :mad: but arrived at the car park and found the charger with both bays free. Plugged in, trendy LEDs flashed and changed colour, Leaf blue LEDs cycled around chattering to the Podpoint, opened the PP app and told the post to start charging and then nothing - car didn't start charging, PP kept flashing it's green LEDs.

Tried a few more times, gave up, disconnected started again, swapped sides, still no joy. Wondered if it was us, removed all the charge timers etc etc no luck. Gave up, left the car park and head for Cathedral Quay where we'd parked and charged successfully last time.

I won't complain about the 20 minutes it took to go a mile or so to Cathedral Quay.. :mad:... or that we'd run out of change, the ticket machine only took coins (why?) and it took me 20 minutes to download and install the app to pay the parking fee remotely... :mad:

Plugged in, LEDs flash, car chatting, go up and outside to get a mobile signal, start the charge from the app, nothing. Another 15 minutes trying to work out what was going on. Nothing, gave up went to have some lunch.

Came back an hour and half later, no change still not charging. Disconnected and tried again, same result. Gave up and went into town to do some shopping.

Tried calling PP to ask if they could see what was going on but no answer, not sure if they cover at weekends or not TBH. Started composing an email explaining problem but decided to have one more go. At this point I was worried we might have a problem with the Leaf charger, although we were within range of a couple of rapids to get us home.

Went back to the car and lo! It was charging! GOM was saying we had 45 miles range up from the 14 we'd when we left it. With nearly an hour to go on the parking we left it and went down to the Quay for an ice cream in the sunshine. :)(y)

The rest if the day was great - several people admired the Leaf, one couple definitely interested in getting one. 54 miles of charge was enough to head down to Exmouth for a play on the beach before the M5 Exeter rapid and home again.:cool:

Then the evening went downhill really badly, watching England and Wales in the rugby.:mad::mad::mad:

Anyway, back to charging: so what was going on? Was it us? Was it the car? Was it Podpoint? Was it poor mobile signals? (n)

No idea why it was so difficult when last time we parked and charged without a hitch. PP's seemed to be working, but not sure what all the various flashing modes and colours indicate yet. Any experience?

PS We have a 32A type 2 cable which had been used before with no problems, so don't think it's that

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image.jpeg
No display, I think they're new, the funky ones, all trendy curves and moody purple blue and green LEDs. I have a picture...

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Hmm, not seen those points before. The other ones have not been brilliant for me and had similar issues. I wonder if these are thebones which default to charging if they lose comms?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do Leaf (other EV drivers as well) often get many people showing an interest in your car and frequently get stopped to be asked questions?
Yes, it's very common. It can be very slow progress sometimes as a lot of people are aware of EV's especially the Leaf (it's always recognised as being 'one of those electric cars') and are curious as to what it's like to own and drive.

Most say they are waiting for 'a bit more range and a bit more charging infrastructure' but when pressed most admit their current needs could be met with a Leaf today. 200 mile EV's and A-road rapids will defo be tipping point in this country, next 2-3 years.

What surprised me was how many stares we get on the motorway, often from people in large SUV's :D (and no I don't dawdle on motorways)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, not seen those points before. The other ones have not been brilliant for me and had similar issues. I wonder if these are thebones which default to charging if they lose comms?
I've only ever seen these PP chargers, they seem to be in use in public car parks down here. Everywhere else is Ecotricity and CYC, not much PP at all.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
These look the same as the ones in Plymouth (Home Park park & ride). I had wanted to use them on my return from Cornwall but having lost my POD Point card a few days before I could not destination charge and simply charged at Vospers on my way out.

Possibility 1
The very helpful staff at the dealer(y) advised that the controller was not yet linked to the App and with no card reader the points were simply plug in and go. Were the blue lights on your car still flashing as if charging? If so I think they were actually charging even though you could not communicate via the App. If you look at their website you will see that the app is still shown as "coming soon". It has only been issued to a privileged few.:notworthy:

Possibility 2
If the blue car charging lights flashed for a while and then went out it could be similar to a problem that I have encountered with a different type of charger. The charger connects to the car but then goes into standby. As with your attempt it looked like a timer issue but the car had no timers set and was not flashing the lights in sequence. I tried a number of things to fool the charger into working. The one that finally worked was firstly plugging the connector onto the car. Then pushing the start key twice (without your foot on the brake) so the car systems are "alive" but not in driving mode. Then I plugged the car into the socket on the charger and it started charging.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John Lewis and the Guildhall car parks are manned and the attendants gave got cards which they'll happily let you borrow.
That's useful to know, thanks.

There's nothing on these posts that says to present a card though, so it didn't occur to me and it worked fine a few weeks ago with just the app.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
There's nothing on these posts that says to present a card though
These new ones have no card reader:eek:. They are "App Ready".

Unfortunately the App is not quite ready itself:rolleyes:.

The attendants at Gatwick Airport used to ask to see a card for your 4Hr free parking if you charge with the old points. Its a bit more confusing for them now.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Possibility 1
The very helpful staff at the dealer(y) advised that the controller was not yet linked to the App and with no card reader the points were simply plug in and go. Were the blue lights on your car still flashing as if charging? If so I think they were actually charging even though you could not communicate via the App.
The Leaf blue charging lights flashed sequentially left to right as normal which is when it handshakes with the charger. If the charge starts correctly it should start flashing from left to right one LED at a time as it progresses. It never got to this stage, all the LEDs were out and the green LED on the PP stayed flashing - it should go steady green when it's charging.

If you look at their website you will see that the app is still shown as "coming soon". It has only been issued to a privileged few.:notworthy:
I am indeed one of the priveliged few, I've had the app for a couple of months and used it successfully (or at least thought I had).

Possibility 2
If the blue car charging lights flashed for a while and then went out it could be similar to a problem that I have encountered with a different type of charger. The charger connects to the car but then goes into standby. As with your attempt it looked like a timer issue but the car had no timers set and was not flashing the lights in sequence. I tried a number of things to fool the charger into working. The one that finally worked was firstly plugging the connector onto the car. Then pushing the start key twice (without your foot on the brake) so the car systems are "alive" but not in driving mode. Then I plugged the car into the socket on the charger and it started charging.
This sounds closer, although I'm pretty sure I tried this sequence of actions to no effect. If it happens again I'll try it specifically.

One other thought has occured: there is certainly no mobile signal at Cathedral Quay so it may just be that the chargers start to run anyway but it may take a while before they do (up 5/10 minutes??). If so, the app may just be a placebo and it was a coincidence it started charging quickly the first time we used it. I'll phone PP and ask them about it on Monday.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,385 Posts
... half hour to go 4 miles from the motorway :mad: ....20 minutes it took to go a mile or so to Cathedral Quay.. :mad:... ....20 minutes to download and install the app to pay the parking fee remotely... :mad:
You have my every, genuine sympathy. Life's a b!tch sometimes and I end up swearing a lot, which make for a very bad scene! :oops::oops:

(I met up with @Mike Schooling yesterday and was made late by several bizarre, unexpected incidents, but he's such a nice chilled guy he put me at ease and saved the day. Thanks, Mike! (y) World needs more chilled people in it!)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All I can say is it's a good job it was sunny and I was in a good mood.

Actually, I should also say that the Leaf is so easy and pleasant to drive at very low speeds and in stop go traffic it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as it does in the stinkpot. It also gives The Wife an opportunity to mess about with yet more in-car functions she's just discovered - trumpet fanfare 100m from home anyone? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
The Leaf blue charging lights flashed sequentially left to right as normal which is when it handshakes with the charger. If the charge starts correctly it should start flashing from left to right one LED at a time as it progresses. It never got to this stage, all the LEDs were out and the green LED on the PP stayed flashing - it should go steady green when it's charging.
Are you sure? I thought that the sequence left to right was to indicate it was plugged in and awaiting the charge timer - it does that for fifteen minutes then goes to sleep until it's time to charge. Every time I have plugged in without a charge timer (i.e. with just the single blue LED in the middle lit) the Leaf then switches straight away to the flashing charging LED (either 1, 1 & 2 or 1 & 2 & 3 depending on how full it is).

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That sounds more like it and that's what confused me as it did this after the charging timers were turned off.

I'm going to have another play next chance I get, I don't rule out it being 'user error' :D

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Are you sure? I thought that the sequence left to right was to indicate it was plugged in and awaiting the charge timer - it does that for fifteen minutes then goes to sleep until it's time to charge.
That sounds more like it and that's what confused me as it did this after the charging timers were turned off.
With the blue lights flashing sequentially did you try pressing the charge timer over-ride button?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I did, no apparent effect - first time I've ever done it though so possibility of user error here too!

Need more practice, obv.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts