Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you buy a £23,000 EV with a 250m range from MG?

• Yes

• No

• No, but I can see it bringing more cut price competition which is good

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I think a lot of people underestimate the price of new ICE cars.
Last year my wife bought a fairly standard mid range Seat Arona. She bought it through the motability scheme so we didn't pay much attention to the list price. Turns out it's £24K - about the same price as the similarly specced MG ZSEV.

As for haggling - that's not something I can do, The thought of trying turns my stomach in knots. And I can no more "man up" than I can grow an extra limb. So I end up subsidising those of you for whom haggling comes easy!
Plenty of people can't / won't haggle - the benefit of companies like DriveTheDeal is that you can get a decent discount without haggling. Maybe not as good a deal as haggling, but still a good deal.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,313 Posts
Last year my wife bought a fairly standard mid range Seat Arona. She bought it through the motability scheme so we didn't pay much attention to the list price. Turns out it's £24K - about the same price as the similarly specced MG ZSEV.

As for haggling - that's not something I can do, The thought of trying turns my stomach in knots. And I can no more "man up" than I can grow an extra limb. So I end up subsidising those of you for whom haggling comes easy!
Oh man... absolutely the same. It turns out I can negotiate quite hard when it's not for me. If it's for me.... forget it.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Wow - that's a lot of No's - why?
TLDR; you get what you pay for.

It is still the same dated MG 5 we are getting now. This car is on a platform they've been making since 2010. I was initialy excited about the current version but that faded after reading about the problems the car has had, including issues with charging.

The larger battery and more powerful motor are both pluses, but I'm worried it won't fix anything. I've come to belive MG are the Hantek of EVs.

Hanwho??? you ask. Hantek make surprisingly inexpensive electronics test gear, especially Osciliscopes. They have a 'scope that sells for $200 that would be $300 or more from a Chinese brand and $1000 from an American or European manufacturer. The problem is Hantek software is awful. The 'scopes are nearly unusable.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
If the updated car turns out to have corrected the faults of the current one -- IF - then I would put in on my list to consider when the i3 goes back to the leasing company.

At the moment, the plan is to get a bus pass when the i3 goes back. We are done leasing cars and there isn't much we can afford on HP.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What ID.3can you get for just over £20k. I’d be seriously interested come change time if I could get one for that sort of money!
I've paid £23,800 for a 45kWh/110kW (150PS) Life Pure Performance, but I had quotes £500 less if I was willing to go via a remote dealer and have someone drive it on delivery.

Granted £23k isn't "just over" £20k, but it's not a huge amount more, and yet (imo) the car is. I'd be very sceptical of the MG being within £3k of the value at 3 years old

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
358 Posts

Haggling is one ( some would say the ONLY one thing) you don’t get involved with if you buy a new Tesla, I like that! IMHO. That’s how it should be.
I believe the price should be the price and I also believe that when you buy something ( credit such as pcp, hp, loans etc excluded) , you should pay IN FULL when you take delivery. When I was in business I told my customers that I sell ( what I sold at the time) goods, or provide a service, I don’t lend money, so when I deliver the goods or do the agreed work, that’s when you pay the invoice. None of this UK nonsense like 40,60,90 days terms (or when we feel like it) we will pay you.😈

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
If the updated car turns out to have corrected the faults of the current one -- IF - then I would put in on my list to consider when the i3 goes back to the leasing company.
Intrigued to hear about the big faults.

No significant issues of note on the facebook page other than the crappy roofrails (fixed on 61kWh), lack of app/pre-heat (not a fault just an omission - serious for some), and no NCAP test.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What ID.3can you get for just over £20k. I’d be seriously interested come change time if I could get one for that sort of money!
Mine (life pro - second cheapest list price) cost £23750. Its not 20k sure, but close enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Intrigued to hear about the big faults.

No significant issues of note on the facebook page other than the crappy roofrails (fixed on 61kWh), lack of app/pre-heat (not a fault just an omission - serious for some), and no NCAP test.
There was the battery capacity / BMS goof. After a software update the car had less apparant range.
I've seen several reports, including one from @Mike Schooling that the MGs have issues with public charge points.

Several reports of poor support from MG when things go wrong.

No NCAP test is a big concern. Seems to me that MG aren't paying to have it tested it because they know the score will be low. If the EU ends up getting a different MG 5 than the UK, well . . .

There isn't much on here really. Just a few posts like this one --> MG5 multiple faults

The car may infact be better than I think it is -- I'd love to be proved wrong.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Can confirm it has some issues (not as bad as others) with public charging but so does CCS in general.

MGs have problems with home chargepoints too!

Main two are the fairlure to wake on a delayed charge (I believe this may now be fixed) and any local powerline adaptors (could be a neighbours) tend to upset the on board charger. We believe this is because it thinks it is trying to communicate DC CCS rather than AC.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
No NCAP test is a big concern. Seems to me that MG aren't paying to have it tested it because they know the score will be low. If the EU ends up getting a different MG 5 than the UK, well . . .

There isn't much on here really. Just a few posts like this one --> MG5 multiple faults

It was designed and built in China, I'm sure it'll be fine...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
There was the battery capacity / BMS goof. After a software update the car had less apparant range.
I've seen several reports, including one from @Mike Schooling that the MGs have issues with public charge points.

Several reports of poor support from MG when things go wrong.

BMS issue was ZS only (affected mine).

Not aware of chargepoint issues at present - dunno if there was CCS problems as a few cars have had issues early on (eGolf and i3 come to mind).

Current MG5 can't do better than 3* NCAP as doesn't have the crash avoidance/mitigation suite.

ZS ICE gets 3*, EV 5* (helped by the rear belt pretensioners and possibly stronger shell with battery pack (aluminium alloy case it seems)

I think the NCAP rating is the only valid concern of note currently.

EDIT the not waking up for delayed charge was software fixed early 2020.

MG have been pretty proactive at upgrades and the few warranty fixes (wiring loom for drivers door) - some of the dealers appear to need pruned though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would've bought this (company purchase) if the advertised range was 250 miles, and advertised price £23k

Unfortunately it's 214 miles and £30,095.

So I'll stick with my Kia e-Niro 4+ lease (delivery in 3 weeks) for now.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Unfortunately it's 214 miles and £30,095.
There are plenty of MG 5s on Autotrader for ~£23k new and ~£20k for near new. That is the current model.

MG 5 Long Range MSRP might be £1500 more. If it gets the same discounts . . .

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Mine (life pro - second cheapest list price) cost £23750. Its not 20k sure, but close enough for me.
And me - that's a good price - is that a 45kwh?

When I replace mine I want a 65kwh battery + - My 64kwh is about as small as I'd want....

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
There are plenty of MG 5s on Autotrader for ~£23k new and ~£20k for near new. That is the current model.

MG 5 Long Range MSRP might be £1500 more. If it gets the same discounts . . .
MG's affinity scheme allows NHS/emergency service/teachers to get discounts on MG5 to ~£20.5k for Excite and ~£22.5k for Exclusive.

I suspect this is probably the absolute floor for haggled discount prices for a new car at present.

The 52.5kWh MG5s will be sold as "standard range" variants along with the 61kWh ones until they are gone so there might be some better deals on the 214 mile car once the 250s arrive in the autumn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whats interesting is the comparisons - the bigger batteries weight more, which makes the result a bit more complicated (which is why I went 45 in the end):

These are the quoted numbers:

45kWh Pure Performance58kWh Pro
Power150PS145PS
0-60 (secs)8.99.6
Weight (kg)17251805
EVDB Real Range (mi)170215

Apparently, the slightly lighter one with the slightly smaller battery is said to be somewhat identical in real life range by the time you take that all into account. Providing you're driving sensibly.

Apparently.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Whilst I doubt it’s identical, it’s certainly possible it won’t be as big a difference as one might think.

It’s interesting though that the 58kwh will only do 215 and my 64KWh will do genuine 280-300

Hyundai/Kia do still seem to have the efficiency licked better than anyone.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts