Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Would you buy a £23,000 EV with a 250m range from MG?

• Yes

• No

• No, but I can see it bringing more cut price competition which is good

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whilst I doubt it’s identical, it’s certainly possible it won’t be as big a difference as one might think.

It’s interesting though that the 58kwh will only do 215 and my 64KWh will do genuine 280-300

Hyundai/Kia do still seem to have the efficiency licked better than anyone.
Comparing apples with oranges.

EVDB has the Soul 64kWh as 225 - so only 10 miles more for 7 extra kWh

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
250 is a good average for summer /winter. I gat 280 ish in summer and 220 in winter.

Best ever, 312 and worst 209 - so if yours will do 260-270 in summer I would say that it’s more efficient - my average over a year now is 4.3m /KWh so about 275 ish range - 255m with a good safety margin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have just sold my 2015 30kWh leaf (Second hand car values are pretty healthy at the moment) and have really enjoyed that quirky looking car for 5 years or so, however it’s range for my use case was getting marginal, and doubling my useful range for £22500 mats a flaps thrown in, was perfect. I have ordered a 53kWh Exclusive for registration in September. I genuinely wish everyone well waiting for the 61kWh version for £1400 more but timing meant I jumped in now. Time will tell of course, but I’m happy with my choices.

Personally, I think the car looks acceptable if not spectacular although I enjoyed calling my Leaf ‘the ugliest car in the world’ for 5 years so that tradition may continue ;) The new car has lots of good features and the price is comparable to a Ford Focus Zetec Estate. Apple car play worked well, missing charging timer was an unpleasant surprise but I should get around that with the Zappi charger e-sense hopefully. Test drive on Monday but I can’t see that being a deposit-removing experience. I’ll let you all know.

We’re off to enjoy the beautiful sunny day, everyone have fun!

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,272 Posts
I have just sold my 2015 30kWh leaf (Second hand car values are pretty healthy at the moment) and have really enjoyed that quirky looking car for 5 years or so, however it’s range for my use case was getting marginal, and doubling my useful range for £22500 mats a flaps thrown in, was perfect. I have ordered a 53kWh Exclusive for registration in September. I genuinely wish everyone well waiting for the 61kWh version for £1400 more but timing meant I jumped in now. Time will tell of course, but I’m happy with my choices.

Personally, I think the car looks acceptable if not spectacular although I enjoyed calling my Leaf ‘the ugliest car in the world’ for 5 years so that tradition may continue ;) The new car has lots of good features and the price is comparable to a Ford Focus Zetec Estate. Apple car play worked well, missing charging timer was an unpleasant surprise but I should get around that with the Zappi charger e-sense hopefully. Test drive on Monday but I can’t see that being a deposit-removing experience. I’ll let you all know.

We’re off to enjoy the beautiful sunny day, everyone have fun!
MG5 works perfectly with timed charge via Zappi

·
Registered
576 Posts
I wouldnt because it's not big enough and doesn't have towing capacity to can't replace our long range ICE. It's bigger than we need for our city car EV.

I am not against buying a chinese car. I would need to see how build quality and reliability holds out over the next few years though.

It's going to be interesting to see what the depreciation is like on these .I suspect a lot of them will end up as taxis and fleet vehicles.

I am more interest in the Xpeng models they need to get those over here.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I am not against buying a chinese car. I would need to see how build quality and reliability holds out over the next few years though.

It's going to be interesting to see what the depreciation is like on these .I suspect a lot of them will end up as taxis and fleet vehicles.
On the Facebook page there are a few minicabbers - at least 2 of the ZS drivers are past 60k miles already.

One is delighted with his car, the other has had a number of faults inc steering column replacment and a load of trim issues and is less than happy with his.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,369 Posts
Now The European Union has proposed what's effectively a ban on the sale of all new petrol and diesel cars – including hybrids – from 2035
There should a lot more cheaper EVs coming (y)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,313 Posts
Saw an MG5 in person for the first time today. I don’t think it’s a bad looking car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Saw an MG5 in person for the first time today. I don’t think it’s a bad looking car.
When I saw one for the first time I was surprised how tall it was. Crossover height with an estate body. That didnt really come across in the magizine/online pics etc.. I did at first think it was some variation of a 5 YO Mercedes thing...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,313 Posts
Looks a bit like a Subaru Outback in the flesh - agree is taller than I expected - really not much lower than my ZS.
Interesting comparison. I thought of the older forester, a car that isn't particularly a looker but one of the most useful cars I've ever encountered.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Interesting comparison. I thought of the older forester, a car that isn't particularly a looker but one of the most useful cars I've ever encountered.
I bought a 58 plate Forester XT (2.5 turbo) brand new for £14k after the financial crash of 2008.

Prodrive tuned (extra £1200 for fartcan exhaust, ECU upgrade and couple of minor bits of hardware) it was stupid quick for its time.

Was unstoppable in the snows of 2010 also.

Kinda hoping Marvel R, or even HS EV should it be built, will be the EV equivalent of it.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
332 Posts
It's certainly quite a lot of car for the money, but are you not forget it's 'relative' huge elephant in the room....

This car will apparently be in the UK second half of next year (?) much better spec and well it actually looks nice! :D This latest update just looks like a sticking plaster..
I think it'll be longer given this revision of the UK car. Suspect it'll come when they think there's enough (other) RHD interest to bother - that's realistically India, Aus, NZ although EVs are a tiny market share in those countries.

The crucial thing on the new EU ones is 500kg towing capacity. Bike racks, camping trailer, motorbike, etc - much better prospect as a sensible utility car.

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,272 Posts
To everyone who is 'dissing' the current MG5 in this thread, I'd say don't knock it until you've driven it. It's remarkable value for money. It's not a Tesla (which I would love to own) but it's half the price of a M3 SR+, and has around the same range. We've owned ours for three months now. Here's my list of positives and negatives so far...

Positives...

Just under £20k brand new (affinity scheme).

200 miles range is completely do-able (in the summer at least).

Seven year warranty.

Three year service plan costs just £200.

Liquid-cooled LFP battery, so should degrade slower than most other NCA batteries.

70kW CCS capable.

Apple carplay/Android auto.

No active safety nonsense. I see this as a positive, as there won't be any phantom braking etc.

Been made for the China market for years, so most issues ironed out.

Loads of space for 'stuff'.

Adults can fit in the back!

Quiet and comfy.

Surprisingly nippy!

Spare wheel well! The spare wheel itself is an extra cost (which I took up), but at least it can be stored safely.

Negatives...
Rear seats don't fold flat. You can take the rear seat bases out though, which allows them to fold more. Still not perfect though.

No timed charging (not an issue if your chargepoint supports this).

No pre-heat, though the heater is very powerful and gives out heat almost instantly.

Roof rails don't support much load, though we have the lower spec model which doesn't even have rails.

It's not a Ferrari in terms of looks, but far better that the first gen Leaf we owned for five years. It's very similar to a VW Passat estate, though smaller. I think 'bland' would be a good description.

Sat Nav very slow to boot, but ok once route programmed. Even shows speed limits! Just use Waze if you don't like it.

So overall, if you can live with the negatives I think it's unbeatable for the price. The increased range version looks interesting for not much extra cost, but I think the full facelift is a while away yet

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,785 Posts
To everyone who is 'dissing' the current MG5 in this thread, I'd say don't knock it until you've driven it. It's remarkable value for money. It's not a Tesla (which I would love to own) but it's half the price of a M3 SR+, and has around the same range. We've owned ours for three months now. Here's my list of positives and negatives so far...

Positives...

Just under £20k brand new (affinity scheme).

200 miles range is completely do-able (in the summer at least).

Seven year warranty.

Three year service plan costs just £200.

Liquid-cooled LFP battery, so should degrade slower than most other NCA batteries.

70kW CCS capable.

Apple carplay/Android auto.

No active safety nonsense (no phantom braking etc).

Been made for the China market for years, so most issues ironed out.

Loads of space for 'stuff'.

Adults can fit in the back!

Quiet and comfy.

Surprisingly nippy!

Negatives...
Rear seats don't fold flat.

No timed charging (not an issue if your chargepoint supports this).

No pre-heat, though the heater is very powerful and gives out heat almost instantly.

Roof rails don't support much load, though we have the lower spec model which doesn't even have rails.

It's not a Ferrari in terms of looks, but far better that the first gen Leaf we owned for five years. It's very similar to a VW Passat estate, though smaller. I think 'bland' would be a good description.

Sat Nav very slow to boot, but ok once route programmed. Even shows speed limits! Just use Waze if you don't like it.

So overall, if you can live with the negatives I think it's unbeatable for the price. The increased range version looks interesting for not much extra cost, but I think the full facelift is a while away yet
I picked up HS as I needed a long distance car for occasional drive across Europe. I must say it is capable. MG are doing it very well. Mine is fully loaded with safety kit. Month on, I’ve been warned a few times but it hasn’t stepped in yet.

SatNav is a bit strange - I plug in the phone either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 89 Posts