Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be paranoid but not wanting undue attention when in France I figured removing the euro GB symbol from number plates might be a good idea. What designs are people going for or are you not going to both changing them ?‍♀

·
Premium Member
4,110 Posts
You don’t need to worry about it for a while I expect, we’re still in transition. I’ll also be a little annoyed if something like car number plates gets attention when there must be thousands of other things requiring priority.

It will be a shame if it becomes a requirement to retrofit non EU flag vehicle plates to all vehicles, seems like a waste of plastic and resources.

For the first time in years, my current car just has ‘normal’ plates with no country designation on. I might actually fit some EU plates on it now to upset the ‘Gammons’...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Until the end of the year nothing has changed.. during the transitional period driving license, insurance etc. is still valid in europe. Afterwards, anyone's guess.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Number plates will be the same yellow colour, same sizes and formats with the exception that the EU and GB blue strip will be removed.
Most newer cars would have been fitted with them. For older cars I would just cut off the blue bit
Regarding driving in the continent from Jan 2021 you will need the international driving license, depending on the countries you will be visiting

Insurance will be valid in EU countries but you will need to ask your insurer for the green card.
You will need the GB sticker on the back of the car.
Depending on the country there are environmental restrictions
You will need 2 breathalysers for some countries
France required spare spectacles
Some other countries, like Lithuania, have mandatory headlights on at all times.

EDIT:
example of Air Crit for France

·
Premium Member
4,110 Posts
I'm changing my pedestrian warning sound to the arches tune ?
Be sure to run it past the Post Brexit Patriot Police Department first though, I’d hate to see you doing 6 weeks in ‘ze cooler’ for such an infringement...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I might be paranoid but not wanting undue attention when in France I figured removing the euro GB symbol from number plates might be a good idea. What designs are people going for or are you not going to both changing them ?‍♀
When in France a UK numberplate with the wheel on the right will look like a UK car whether it has a GB on the numberplate or not.

Sticking with my factory EU/GB rear (holders removed and stuck on with 3m. My front plate is a plain white sticker (white car).

Anyway, Brexit got done, so that it, Mission accomplished and no further debate needed.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,013 Posts
AFAIK, we'll have to go back to the old oval GB sticker on the rear of our cars when driving to Europe.

·
Registered
368 Posts
No EU/GB designation on my Golf plates. I specifically asked that it be omitted when I bought the car in the latter part of last year........ and if the dealer had insisted on it, then I'd have replaced them fairly pronto.

And no oval sticker needed on mine. I don't travel abroad and never have...... but if Jimmy Krankie gets her way then that might change things. I've holidayed in Scotland many times.

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
No EU/GB designation on my Golf plates. I specifically asked that it be omitted when I bought the car in the latter part of last year........ and if the dealer had insisted on it, then I'd have replaced them fairly pronto.

And no oval sticker needed on mine. I don't travel abroad and never have...... but if Jimmy Krankie gets her way then that might change things. I've holidayed in Scotland many times.
I hope you also boycott all the roads and bridges paid for by the EU.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I doubt the EU have paid for anything in my locality - I'm well out in the sticks, miles from the closest town. Even the Local Authority don't fix potholes here when you photograph and report them. I even bought my own tarmac to fix the road to my place. That said, I do own it. I thought only London and the surrounding area received EU funding? Certainly little sign of it here, 60 odd miles from the Scottish border.....

·
Registered
368 Posts
I actually had one here a while back Electra Glide - my mother was Scottish. Not seen it for a long time, probably been lost/binned.

And why on earth should I refrain from using any road or bridge in the UK? I've been a UK taxpayer since I was 15, and I'm on my pension now - and still paying tax...... With respect I'm struggling with the logic of your point. We pay the EU billions - for now at least.. They choose to give us some back. Well I think I know a better way.........

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
I doubt the EU have paid for anything in my locality - I'm well out in the sticks, miles from the closest town. Even the Local Authority don't fix potholes here when you photograph and report them. I even bought my own tarmac to fix the road to my place. That said, I do own it. I thought only London and the surrounding area received EU funding? Certainly little sign of it here, 60 odd miles from the Scottish border.....

I hope you’re not looking for Westminster to replace this?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts