Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, just 3 weeks into owning my 15 plate Leaf, someone crashed into the back of me while I was sitting at the lights. It was a heck of a thwack - enough to set off the airbags in the car that ran into me, stoving in the front end and emptying the contents of the radiator on the road.

The back end of my Leaf is pretty damaged - bumper completely wrecked , boot door deformed and possibly, also, the frame around the boot deformed. Unfortunately, it was getting dark so I haven't been able to give it a thorough inspection yet.

The police helped me inspect the car and were happy for me to drive it home (I wasn't sure, but they convinced me) as I only live a mile away. The car seemed to drive OK, albeit with some squeaking and rattling from the back end. No warning lights appeared and power indications seemed normal.

I then called my insurance company and when I explained that it was an electric Nissan and wanted the electrics checking out as well as the bodywork repair they were happy for me to arrange for it to be fixed at the Nissan dealership where I bought it.

But when I spoke to the repair desk at the dealers, it was clear that they were unsure about how to deal with the ev elements and would simply send the car to a local body shop for repair. When I asked about getting the battery and electrics checked they said all they could do was plug the diagnostic computer in and see if it came up with anything. If it did, they would have to send the car to Sunderland for repair.

So now, I've gone back to the insurance company and agreed to send it to a local body shop instead as this will be quicker, with the caveat that they need to find someone to check the electrics.

Can anyone give me any advice on what my best course of action should be? How far back does the battery pack extend ? Could it have been damaged in the impact. I haven't put the car on charge as I'm loathe to have lots of amps whizzing about until it has been checked over. It doesn't seem that Nissan have the local expertise to properly check the car over

Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Got any pics? The car needs to go on a ramp for visual inspection..
Being honest if there was an exposed electrics it would of shorted i'm sure but Nissan should be able to check the safety of that i'm sure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pics - I need some good daylight and also to wash the mud off (I sympathise with the other thread running about Leafs being a dirt magnet) Hoping daylight will allay my fears. I was just shocked by the discussion with the Nissan repair desk at my dealer - perhaps clueless is being unfair - it sounds like they don't have the equipment or training to properly work on ev. He just kept saying that all battery issues had to go back to Sunderland for repairs. Mind, having seen what a 12 V battery can do when shorted I would be very wary of working on an ev system battery myself!

·
Super Moderator
7,301 Posts
The battery is very well protected, and with 2013+ Leafs there’s no high voltage cables under the boot floor.

If something was damaged you’d see a fault light on the dashboard. I’d say just let the Bodyshop get on with it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery is very well protected, and with 2013+ Leafs there’s no high voltage cables under the boot floor.

If something was damaged you’d see a fault light on the dashboard. I’d say just let the Bodyshop get on with it.
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts