Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had used charging at motorway services or near M4 charging recently? How are they?

Zap-map updates seems to be very infrequent. I fear chargers (mainly Ecotricity) are left in a broken state without anyone going to repair.

This weekend, we are planning to drive home in my dirty diesel long distance car and drive our Nissan Leaf 24kWh to where we are staying during lockdown. Reason for this is to have 2 cars here, so if I'm needed back work, my wife can still go around locally.
(We "escaped" from home in N London to my parents in North Somerset soon after Italy kicked off, before lockdown order came in. Mainly for free childcare)

·
Registered
Leaf e+
199 Posts
The new 150kW Polar's at Reading services are not active yet. I stopped by there last week. The ecotricity chargers were empty - did not inspect them as had no desire to charge there. Also Ikea Reading rapid is inaccessible - but they are re-opening on June 1st?

I actually went off piste a little on way back from Newbury way and stopped north of Caversham / Reading to charge on GeniePoint (free key worker vend). Other than that Zap-Map is up to date with what chargers are not accessible due to COVID so would suggest reviewing this along with abetterrouteplanner.com

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah yes, upon looking closer, I now see the extra COVID info in Zap-map at Ikea Reading. Thank you.

Anyone recently been to Membury M4 Services Westbound?

The plan: (plugs is for Chademo)
Distance ADistance BDist ApartProviderPlugs
London
RG41 5TP5858InstaVolt 2210 Wharfedale Rd, Winnersh, Wokingham
RG30 3UQ668Ecotricity2Reading Westbound M4 services
RG17 7TZ3326Ecotricity2Membury M4 Services Westbound
SN14 6LB5429Ecotricity1Leigh Delamere M4 Service (West)
BS10 7TU5223Shell1Shell Bristol Patchway
BS20 7XG7Ecotricity2Gordano M5 Service
Yatton 401811

Wife never driven such long distance, she would rather break up driving into no more than 45min segments. Meaning we'll probably drive Plan B. Plan B has better fallback locations, except for Membury.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Ah yes, upon looking closer, I now see the extra COVID info in Zap-map at Ikea Reading. Thank you.
And yet the EH app reports that one CHAdeMO is in use and two are available. Who to believe?

Regarding Membury - it's too close to home for me to have used it. I have used the single pump at Leigh Delamere a few times without problem. I see that Chieveley services at Junction 13 isn't on your list - there are two pumps there, and might be an alternative to Membury. As the closest rapid to home, I used Chieveley as practice when I first got my Leaf.

I see you're staying in Yatton - I were brung up in Clevedon when I were a lad.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We made it, very smooth and zero problem.

Drove to the first stop at Instavolt, super easy to use and worked really well, both appears to be working. Only downside is lack of facility nearby, luckily there was a building-site nearby and builder allowed us to use their toilet. About 25% to 80+% charge, less than 30min.
Saw an empty bank of Tesla superchargers as we were driving towards motorway.

We drove at speed limit to second stop at Membury West bound, using up a lot of battery. Chademo/CCS charger was completely broken, Chademo/Type2 worked great for us. Not so good for Jag I-Pace who turned up 5min after we started. <30% charge to ~85%, around 30min.
Meanwhile, Tesla supercharger 1 occupied out of loads empty.

At M4/M5 junction, we had 31% battery left and 20 miles to go. We decided to do a very quick stop at Gordano services to be safe. Both chargers appears to be working. Left after 5min and some stretches.
Saw another load of empty Tesla superchargers.

Another experience showed us Tesla superchargers are the only reliable network if I were to replace my dirty diesel long range car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts