Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a new Corsa E and I have a question we are awaiting home charger and have successfully used rapid charging ok with box provided cabling.

But I have tried to charge at a workplace which has 4 charging posts where we use our own cable.

Each time I plug it in (car then plug it into the post it will charge ok for say 3 or 4 minutes then the post will trip out.

Opening the little plastic window on the post and resetting the switch will let it charge further before tripping out again.

Its the same for all posts.

Is there a way or regulating the charge, I guess the post is getting overloaded.
Maybe my cable is dodgy I'm using the one supplied, when I look at new cables I see there is a choice of 3.6 or 7.2 maybe the dealer give me wrong one
Any ideas?

Steve

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The charging system is supposed to ensure you cant overload the post at every step. If you use a 16A(3.6kw) cable, the car should not draw any more than 16A. If the charger itself says it can only deliver 16A then again the car should not draw any more than 16A. I very much doubt its an overload situation.

Its potentially an issue with the chargers are your workplace, are they used successfully by anyone else? Or it could be a problem with the car, have you successfully charged elsewhere using AC?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,232 Posts
I've had that happen once at home. If you lock or unlock the car at the wrong moment it seems to put the car onto delay charging rather than charge now. You should always plug in at the post end first and then the car. To remove you unplug from the car then the post.

If you have the app set up, check what it's doing on there. If it says it's changed to delayed charging then set it back to charge now without unplugging anything. If it still thinks it's plugged in and charging and it isn't then there might be something up with the post or the car or the cable.

Do you have the 7kw charging or 11kw AC charging car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cable is 32 I've checked that.
Another car successfully charging is a Mitsubushi hybrid, ive only used the cable once before at a asda for 10 minutes but will try later more ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had that happen once at home. If you lock or unlock the car at the wrong moment it seems to put the car onto delay charging rather than charge now. You should always plug in at the post end first and then the car. To remove you unplug from the car then the post.

If you have the app set up, check what it's doing on there. If it says it's changed to delayed charging then set it back to charge now without unplugging anything. If it still thinks it's plugged in and charging and it isn't then there might be something up with the post or the car or the cable.

Uts

Its a 7.. so should lock car first then plug it all in?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,232 Posts
It has to be unlocked when it's plugged in I think. It may have been a coincidence on mine. I've just plugged it in and it locked itself after I plugged in and it was fine. It had the fritz the last time so who knows!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to dig the manual out and make sure I do it to the letter... its a bit of a mystery

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bit even with delayed charging it wouldn't make the post trip out would it
Ut definitely starts then the post switch trips

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,232 Posts
It shouldn't make the post trip out. See if you can borrow a different type 2 cable to rule out an issue with yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts