Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some research on the brake lights turning on with full regen and using the left paddle since a lot of people have been coming really close to my car when braking or stopping in traffic (more than normal).

I found the brake lights come on when you stop from over 5/10mph to a standstill using the paddle and max regen.

However, when crawling or accelerating from stop to 5 or 10mph and then braking back to 0, if you stop using the paddle, the braking lights do NOT come on, and do not come on even with autohold until you press the brake pedal.

This is quite a dangerous glitch, can anyone else checks if this happens and I can report it to Kia

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thank @Ireallywantanirophev I'll try it out and report back.

I also noticed last week, I had smart cruise control on in start stop traffic.
Pulled up the screen with the power consumption and noticed the car seems to apply power to r motor to bring the car to a stop instead of using regen or the brakes at slow speeds.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
943 Posts
You'll probably find most EVs don't put brake lights on under situations of lower levels of regen when slowing down. Can't say in 3 years I've ever had any concerns about traffic getting too close.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also noticed last week, I had smart cruise control on in start stop traffic.
Pulled up the screen with the power consumption and noticed the car seems to apply power to r motor to bring the car to a stop instead of using regen or the brakes at slow speeds.
That's good to know! I'll keep that in mind in case I need to worry about efficiency. However, the convenience of SCC makes me still likely to use it in most situations where there's stop and go traffic. I just experienced a 30 minute traffic jam of going 0-5 mph for 2 miles. I was really grateful to be able to keep my feet off the pedals.

Incidentally, I also measured that smart cruise control can run for just about 2:30 minutes without any manual input to the wheel before it nags you for the first time, if you're traveling at very low speeds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was in slow moving traffic recently using smart cruise control and both a pedestrian (at my request) and the driver behind me confirmed that the brake lights were coming on when the car automatically slowed down and stopped. I just wish that the smart cruise control would not accelerate quite so promptly when going round a sharpish bend, only having to decelerate once 'lined up' again with the preceding car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Reading through the Model 3 manual today, it mentions brake lights only coming on when 'significant' braking detected. I would expect this to be the case with most other EV's also, traveling at a slower speed of 5-10 mph, Its probably not really needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even with an ICE vehicle I will flick the brake a couple of times even when coasting gently to a stop - and especially on a motorway. It warns the drivers behind that the traffic in front of them is slowing down.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If on a motorway/fast A road and there is a queue ahead and fast moving traffic behind, I will switch on my hazards for a while whilst I start braking and slowing down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Agree with the hazards, also note In that scenario where there is any kind of significant breaking then the lights will come on. I think it’s just a case of not having the light come on every single time you lift off the accelerator.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree with the hazards, also note In that scenario where there is any kind of significant breaking then the lights will come on. I think it’s just a case of not having the light come on every single time you lift off the accelerator.
The issue is not really the brake light coming on when I lift off, it is more when I come to a total stop from a low speed that it stays off. General safety should mean it should come on when coming to a total halt

·
Registered
339 Posts
The issue is not really the brake light coming on when I lift off, it is more when I come to a total stop from a low speed that it stays off. General safety should mean it should come on when coming to a total halt
I suspect a number of drivers following you at night would prefer your brake lights to go off when waiting behind you, while stationary at traffic lights. Bright brake lights can impair their low light night vision...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suspect a number of drivers following you at night would prefer your brake lights to go off when waiting behind you, while stationary at traffic lights. Bright brake lights can impair their low light night vision...
I don't mind them switching off once I have stopped. I am not talking about that. But what warning does the driver have going 10mph behind me that I am coming to a total stop when it's dark if my brake lights do not come on? It can be dangerous

·
Registered
79 Posts
the fact that your only going 10 mph and we can assert the driver behind is not going faster it is pretty obvious when the car in front speeds or slows down without the brake light at such slow speeds. Not arguing here, your probably right, no harm in having a brake light come on a full stop, always, however I think you are seeing a problem where there is none. I wouldn't call it a 'glitch'.
btw, I dont know how the E-niro or other EV's actually behave in this regard when coming to a stop, just going by your comment that they don't come on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you are on freeway in stop-n-go backup, with nobody behind you... and then suddenly somebody approaches at speed from behind, will there be situations like this when the brake light is not on and you are stopped? To me, that's a safety issue.

·
Registered
311 Posts
But if your at the back of that queue on a freeway how likely are you to be braking below 10mph with no one behind you?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
But if your at the back of that queue on a freeway how likely are you to be braking below 10mph with no one behind you?.

It happens. Flagger or car accident at 3am.

·
Registered
79 Posts
looking at how things are currently with a typical ICE. At 10mph, which is really slow, lift off and the car will come to a stop without any need for the brake in a manual or it will creep in an auto. In a manual if your stationary your probably going to put your handbrake on, my auto had a hold mode, in any of those scenario's the brake light doesn't come on. Sitting at the back of a queue on the motorway with your handbrake on or in hold mode, no brake lights.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts