Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Errrr - yes it does.
Yes despite Kia UK confirming that pressing the brake does not regen and engages the brakes. If you look at the power/charge bar or the energy usage there is definitely charge going into the battery during braking.

It may be linked to the regen level and not the same as pulling the paddle for max regen (would need to check) but it does recoup some energy.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Niro uses blended brakes. Unless you push hard on the brake pedal such for emergencies, it will only apply regen. Once below ~5 mph, it will switch to using friction brakes. Presumably, there is no significant power to recuperate at those low speeds. Unfortunately, the Niro and Kona are some of the few EVs sold globally without a true one-pedal driving mode that never requires manually pushing or pulling some kind of braking device. Even Tesla finally came around and added a true one-pedal mode on their latest software update.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can confirm from looking at the energy status in traffic on the way home tonight that pressing the brake pedal results in near as the same spikes of power from the motor to the battery as pulling the regen paddle.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts