Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am currently looking into getting a Leaf as my next company car, and would really appreciate some help/advice from anybody on here.

Whilst choosing spec etc, I was pleased to see that there is now an option for a 6.6kw onboard charger meaning that I could charge the car at home in only 4 hours with the appropriate charging station. At first I thought that was great as it would potentially offer greater charging flexibility (especially is caught out on a longer trip), however, if I take the optional upgrade I would only receive a 'Mode 3 Type 2 cable' instead of the 'brick' type cable that you can use with a normal 13amp socket. That would mean that I would not be able to charge from a normal 13amp socket at relatives houses etc or on campsites.

I queried this with the salesman, who admitted he had never thought of that, and went off to check. He came back saying that I could buy the standard cable for 10amp charging as an extra for £407 + VAT!!!

So really, I would appreciate some advice as to whether existing drivers (or new drivers) think the 6.6kw charger is desirable or not, given the extra cost of keeping slower charging options available.

Also, does anybody know of a 'non nissan' source for the chargers that don't cost £407+VAT?

Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks very much in advance!

Fred

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Fred, I have had my Leaf now since the initial launch in the UK so I still only have 3kw charging but I do wish I had a 6.6kw charger.

As you say, having the 6.6kw charger would give you the ability to charge more quickly at home I have found that it is only very rarely that I need to charge that fast during the daytime. Almost all of my charging is done overnight so when charging overnight the speed is pretty irrelevent. I go to bed and when I get up it is charged. So for me, the 6.6kw charging is not important for home charging although I am sure than for many people they might want the faster charging in the day.

For me though the real benefit comes when charging away from home. Charging at 3kw only adds about 10 miles per hour of charging so it is pretty useless when it comes to charging away from home. Of course I have the DC charging but I really only use that on long trips. If I had the 6.6kw charger then plugging in to most public charging will add about 30 miles per hour of charging and that then becomes a really useful amount when shopping, at a restaurant etc.

As to whether you would want to buy a 10A charging cable... I would say a definite yes as far as I am concerned. With it you can charge anywhere there is a 13A socket. That is a big safety net if a charging stations break down or if you go somewhere than does not have dedicated EV charging. Personally I would not want to own any EV without a way to charge on a normal 13A socket. I should say though that I rarely use it but for me it is important that I have it with me when on longer trips just in case. I know that many people are happy not to have the option to charge from a 13A socket so it depends on how you personally feel about it.

If I remember correctly, Vauxhall were selling their J1772 charging cable much cheaper than Nissan (They are compatible BTW). Just go to the Vauxhall Ampera web site.

One final point... don't forget that if you have friends and family that you regularly visit then they can get a dedicated charging station installed totally free of charge at the moment. They do not need to own a electric car to quality (there are a few other requirements but most people would qualify). There is often a small charge to upgrade from 16A to 32A. So this might be an option for you as an alternative to buying a 10A charge cable... get youur friends and family to install dedicated charging and you might not need it!!! Just a thought :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Your experiences appear to match my expected use almost exactly, which is very reassuring for me as I get ready to take the plunge!

As you suggest, I do not really expect to need to charge in 4 hours at home very often (I wonder if you can still charge as 3.3kw to go a little easier on the battery?), as 70 miles range from an overnight charge (I think that seems to be the accepted average range) is more than enough for me on a daily basis. I'm just aiming to have as many options as possible for charging when on longer journey's and especially if I take the Leaf on holiday. I do have the option of doing a 'car swap' with family members for holidays, but if possible I would like to use the Leaf for holidays as well.

I certainly think that I will get the slow charger, just for peace of mind as you describe. Plus if I pluck up the courage to take it on holiday, I could then charge from campsite hook up as well.

I will pop into my local Vauxhall dealer on my way home one day this week and see what they say about 10amp cables. (I would love an Ampera, but they are a bit out of my budget at the mo, plus only having four seats would mean that I would definitely need a second car).

As soon as I have the OK from the boss to order the Leaf, I will get in touch with British Gas and get the point installed.

Thanks again for the advice.

Fred

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Glad to help and if you have any other questions/concerns just ask :)

Just a point about charging at campsites... I have charged at a few now and I have discovered that their electrics are not always what they are cracked up to be. Many are 10A only and if so then charging a car at 10A will be very borderline and may well trip the MCBs. Even if it is 16A it often isn't in reality. Just be careful is all I would suggest. The early Vauxhall charge cables had a charge rate selection of either 10A or 6A which is very useful when on campsites as you can then charge at 6A. However, I believe that the later charge cables from Vauxhall don't have that dual rate selection. So if you can get an older version, perhaps older stock with the dual rate, you might appreciate it :) None of the Nissan cables have ever been dual rate and they are fixed at 10A.

I have no idea if you can select a 16A charge on the mk2 Leaf... can someone else help with that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Paul,
Could you give me a link to where hime charging stations are available free? I had assumed they would cost about £150 a go.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
562 Posts
if I take the optional upgrade I would only receive a 'Mode 3 Type 2 cable'
On the 6.6 option you now get both a type 2 cable and a 'brick' within the sale of the car.

Reactions: smartie

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Paul,
Could you give me a link to where hime charging stations are available free? I had assumed they would cost about £150 a go.

Thanks,

Richard
They were free when I posted that but the rules and the grants have changed since then.

Also, the Leaf used to come with one cable or the other but that has changed now too as Michelle says

:)

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi all.

Whilst choosing spec etc, I was pleased to see that there is now an option for a 6.6kw onboard charger meaning that I could charge the car at home in only 4 hours with the appropriate charging station. At first I thought that was great as it would potentially offer greater charging flexibility (especially is caught out on a longer trip), however, if I take the optional upgrade I would only receive a

Fred
Hi Fred I got both cables 3 pin plug brick and the 6.6 kw when I got my Leaf six months ago

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi all.

I am currently looking into getting a Leaf as my next company car, and would really appreciate some help/advice from anybody on here.

Whilst choosing spec etc, I was pleased to see that there is now an option for a 6.6kw onboard charger meaning that I could charge the car at home in only 4 hours with the appropriate charging station. At first I thought that was great as it would potentially offer greater charging flexibility (especially is caught out on a longer trip), however, if I take the optional upgrade I would only receive a 'Mode 3 Type 2 cable' instead of the 'brick' type cable that you can use with a normal 13amp socket. That would mean that I would not be able to charge from a normal 13amp socket at relatives houses etc or on campsites.

I queried this with the salesman, who admitted he had never thought of that, and went off to check. He came back saying that I could buy the standard cable for 10amp charging as an extra for £407 + VAT!!!

So really, I would appreciate some advice as to whether existing drivers (or new drivers) think the 6.6kw charger is desirable or not, given the extra cost of keeping slower charging options available.

Also, does anybody know of a 'non nissan' source for the chargers that don't cost £407+VAT?

Fred
website spec sheet currently says

"6.6kW on-board charger (Includes the 7 pin mode 3 type 3 cables AND the 3 pin EVSE cable)"

I pointed this out to my dealer in writing saying that i considered it part of my contract to purchase, they drew out a cable from the store and handed it to me FOC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all.

Fred
On ebay they range from £120 to £160 ish alot cheaper get it there bud

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just to update. It's now standard to get both leads when you upgrade to the 6.6 charger hence why the cost of upgrade went up to over £1000.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought a new 30kWh leaf with 6.6kWh charger and it came with two cables - 3pin and type2. Hold your salesman's feet to the fire, he obviously is not familiar with the product he is selling.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I bought a new 30kWh leaf with 6.6kWh charger and it came with two cables - 3pin and type2. Hold your salesman's feet to the fire, he obviously is not familiar with the product he is selling.
October 2013, will the salesman still be there or are his feet already singed. At the time you did not get a granny lead with 6.6

·
Awaiting Tesla M3—tired of ancient Nissan software
343 Posts
Just to update. It's now standard to get both leads when you upgrade to the 6.6 charger hence why the cost of upgrade went up to over £1000.
Not in Ireland, I am afraid, we only get the Type 1-2 cable, while we still have to buy the granny cable separately. The cost of the 30 kWh option is priced €3000 but it was on a short-term offer of €2000 for new buyers, and it is still being given "free" to those upgrading an existing Leaf to a new model, until the end of the month.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Not in Ireland, I am afraid, we only get the Type 1-2 cable, while we still have to buy the granny cable separately. The cost of the 30 kWh option is priced €3000 but it was on a short-term offer of €2000 for new buyers, and it is still being given "free" to those upgrading an existing Leaf to a new model, until the end of the month.
What would it cost me to upgrade my May 2014 Acenta 3.3 solar to a 30 kWh before the end of the month?

·
Awaiting Tesla M3—tired of ancient Nissan software
343 Posts
What would it cost me to upgrade my May 2014 Acenta 3.3 solar to a 30 kWh before the end of the month?
Hi Rory, if you are in Ireland, any of the Nissan dealers should give you the €3k discount on the price of the new 30 kWh if you own an older model, even from UK, I understand. How much your trade-in would be worth you'd need to talk to the dealers about... I am not sure if there is a similar discount in UK.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts