Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Newbie here, I was bitten by the EV bug about 2mths ago after test driving the BMW i3, it was fun, fun and fun!!
As I am the only family member who drives, I used all my man math skills trying hard to justify another car, with my annual mileage of around 8k, it clearly not going to work.

Before the i3 test drive, I was looking at all sort of cars, all pretty decent Rs6, AMGs, Masser Ghibli etc etc

Most recently I was looking at a Porsche Cayenne and a Panamera, went to the dealer and sat in the car, and surprisingly, being a real petrol head... I felt nothing!

Then I remember Tesla, I knew about the car for a while now, but have never really looked into it,, did quite a bit of research in last few days, and I think I have decided on Tesla model S 85kwh. Configured price of £62280

On the other end of the scale, I am also considering the egolf !! Price £28375

May be I am getting old and confused, 50 next month! My head tells me eGolf, but my heart tells me Tesla!!

I am hoping for the ModelS test drive this weekend in Frodsham,

Sorry for the long post.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Welcome @skint that's some weird and wonderful line of thought you went through to get there! :D

To be honest the eGolf is lovely, however the Tesla may actually be the better "head" over heart choice. Why? Range. The Tesla could be "just another car" (almost) but the range of the eGolf (being similar to our LEAF) does mean in certain situations you require more thought and planning for longer journeys... Also residuals are worth looking at.

Anyway, hopefully enough opinions and advice here to help you whatever way you're leaning.

·
1,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum skint,

As a rEVolutionary in Southern California, I've been lucky enough to test drive MOST production EVs that are available out there with the exception of the Renault ones (which are unavailable in the US), the eGolf, and the Benz B-Class EV.

So, I can't intelligently speak of the eGolf in its performance. I would say that the Model S is a great car that has some constant improvements via firmware (and sometimes hardware (such as the Titanium plates)). The Model S supercharging network, battery pack size, and the consistent software improvements are the key competitive advantages that the car provides. If you are looking for a vehicle that will allow you travel hundreds of miles in a day with minimal challenge (assuming access to supercharging or fast charging when the CHAdeMO adapter is released), then the Model S is the only real choice. (ALL EVs are unlimited in terms of range, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE TIME TO WAIT FOR THE CHARGE.)

Driving a car with no access to faster charging means a lot of waiting before you continue your drive. I did 54,321 miles in two years of EV driving in a BMW Active E (fastest charge was at 7.2 kW, HOWEVER, this was later derated to around 5.5 kW). I'm currently around 19,100 miles in my Model S which I picked up 3/4 of a year ago in November 2013.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Lol! Great user id! Skint... and considering all that auto-exotica! :)

As a Tesla owner I am slightly biased, however I would echo the comment about range.Remember that published range is best case and you will rarely get close to it.

If VW offered an eGolf variant with double the battery size it would have made a massive impact on the market. But, they don't, and rapid charging is not really an option until the CCS standard gets rolled out. So that leaves the Model S as pretty much the best all-rounder and daily driver, or the i3 with range extender as a great alternative.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Get the Tesla you won't regret it, however in the golf the first time a Tesla goes past you, you will think that could have been me :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Paul, guess I am being naive ?? 10 years ago, I wouldn't even bat an eyelid and would have put a deposit down, but ever since the credit crunch and I nearly lost my job! Thankfully, I am still going strong, but I have become a bit of a scrooge :D

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dennis, with your mileage, Tesla is a no brainer. but my mileage is only around 8000, 15miles round trip to work, and I rarely do long distance, may be once a year?? Sometime not even that!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Our mileage is about 9-10k a year and the LEAF (similar range) makes 99% of our journeys without a second thought... It's holidays and occasional long range trips that still feel less than "easy".

Worth it to go electric though, and eGolf will cover much the same ground.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have noticed since getting the tesla I am doing longer journeys because I can, going places because we can and not worrying about big fuel bills. What you save on fuel pays for a nice hotel :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol! Great user id! Skint... and considering all that auto-exotica! :)

As a Tesla owner I am slightly biased, however I would echo the comment about range.Remember that published range is best case and you will rarely get close to it.

If VW offered an eGolf variant with double the battery size it would have made a massive impact on the market. But, they don't, and rapid charging is not really an option until the CCS standard gets rolled out. So that leaves the Model S as pretty much the best all-rounder and daily driver, or the i3 with range extender as a great alternative.
Thanks Jimbo, Re my user name Skint, if I was to buy any of those fancy cars, i would be skint :D

Seriously, my budget is around 60k, but as I am looking at all these cars, I find it harder and harder to justify such an expensive car when I am only clocking up 8k a year, if I keep my car long term, it wouldn't be an issue at all, but I don't ;)

My man math/logic are leaning towards the Tesla, according to the Tesla supercharger map, sometimes next year, they will have a supercharger site in the Northwest(Warrington?) I could drive to the station and wait an hour and come back pretty much fully charged, therefore no extra domestic electric usage for me! Told you I am a scrooge :D

I am still slightly confused about all these different types of chargers.
Either way, I am 99% sure my next car is going to be an EV.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have noticed since getting the tesla I am doing longer journeys because I can, going places because we can and not worrying about big fuel bills. What you save on fuel pays for a nice hotel :)
I agree, I think my mileage would definitely increase once I have my Tesla, knowing it would cost me virtually nothing to run, and have lots of fun driving it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our mileage is about 9-10k a year and the LEAF (similar range) makes 99% of our journeys without a second thought... It's holidays and occasional long range trips that still feel less than "easy".

Worth it to go electric though, and eGolf will cover much the same ground.
I am hoping by the time I get my EV around April next year, those rapid chargers would be a much more common sight, long journeys would not be an issue for eGolf/Leaf

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Well if you can afford it you have to get the Tesla.

Get a test drive under your belt and I'm sure you will sign on the dotted line. Or should I say submit the online order lol.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Either way, I am 99% sure my next car is going to be an EV.
Most of my journeys are <40 miles but as I occassionally need to do long journeys for work and mid journey charging would be highly inconenient, an EREV was the best option for me. So far I've done 2200 miles and am averaging 170 mpg. Of course that doesn't include electricity costs.

As of now, there are only 2 other vehicles that would be suitable for me...the i3 rex and the Tesla. Of course the latter is the most desirable but I can't afford it; I'm hoping that when I come to change, the Tesla 3 will be available. I've used less than £30 of fuel but I do that very reluctantly. Either way I can never imagine going back to an ICE.

If I was in your shoes and could comfortably afford it, then I'd go for the Tesla; you only live once!

What is your typical journey? That should have a bearing on your decision if you are involving your head. For example, the i3 bev is a lovely car and I think you get 1 or 2 ice rentals a year for long journeys. If you only make 1 or 2 long journeys a year, you could get a cheaper EV and then hire an ICE - even an exotic one as a treat..and still save thousands.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well if you can afford it you have to get the Tesla.

Get a test drive under your belt and I'm sure you will sign on the dotted line. Or should I say submit the online order lol.
I am hoping to be able to take a test drive this coming weekend.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most of my journeys are <40 miles but as I occassionally need to do long journeys for work and mid journey charging would be highly inconenient, an EREV was the best option for me. So far I've done 2200 miles and am averaging 170 mpg. Of course that doesn't include electricity costs.

As of now, there are only 2 other vehicles that would be suitable for me...the i3 rex and the Tesla. Of course the latter is the most desirable but I can't afford it; I'm hoping that when I come to change, the Tesla 3 will be available. I've used less than £30 of fuel but I do that very reluctantly. Either way I can never imagine going back to an ICE.

If I was in your shoes and could comfortably afford it, then I'd go for the Tesla; you only live once!

What is your typical journey? That should have a bearing on your decision if you are involving your head. For example, the i3 bev is a lovely car and I think you get 1 or 2 ice rentals a year for long journeys. If you only make 1 or 2 long journeys a year, you could get a cheaper EV and then hire an ICE - even an exotic one as a treat..and still save thousands.
Thanks Brooktop, BMW i3 is too small, unless I keep another main family transport.
My daily journey is approx 15 miles round trip, all town work. if I was using my head, eGolf is the only car I should buy.
But being a petrol head I want performance as well, hence now considering TESLA.
Anyway I will know more this coming weekend when I will see it in the fresh.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Have you actually seen the i3. It's bigger than the Golf I think and the performance is fantastic. When I test drove the i3 I had an RS Megane 250 and was VERY impressed. It made me consider electric! After my test drive I spoke to an owner who happened to be in the dealership. His 'other' car was a Porsche 911. He said it hardly comes out of the garage now.

You should test drive one, if just for comparison sake.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
i think the Golf GT-E comes out next year. Remember EVs 'feel' faster than their quoted 0-60 figures because of the instant torque.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you actually seen the i3. It's bigger than the Golf I think and the performance is fantastic. When I test drove the i3 I had an RS Megane 250 and was VERY impressed. It made me consider electric! After my test drive I spoke to an owner who happened to be in the dealership. His 'other' car was a Porsche 911. He said it hardly comes out of the garage now.

You should test drive one, if just for comparison sake.
Yes I test drove it about 2 mths ago, it was very fast in acceleration practically nothing could touch it, and it was so easy to drive too. But i3 definitely not bigger than the Golf, it only has 4 seats, and it has a tiny boot unlike Golf which has a decent size boot and could seat 3 people in the back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts