Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,882 Posts
As far as economy goes I’m a bit disappointed as despite being around 10c the car returned 3.0 miles pkwh. It was brand new with 14 miles on it and a full battery when we got it and it showed a range of 143 miles.
It's the fault of any previous drivers to you (delivery, service, etc). The GOM takes into account previous journeys, weather etc. It should even out with a little gentle driving by yourselves.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
372 Posts
So we got the car this morning. It’s a red one which I really like but the wife isn’t so keen and says black looks better. As far as economy goes I’m a bit disappointed as despite being around 10c the car returned 3.0 miles pkwh. It was brand new with 14 miles on it and a full battery when we got it and it showed a range of 143 miles. Battery voltage is showing 439v so I think from what I have read the battery’s need to be balanced which could be the reason for the bad economy.
I really like how it drives and so does the wife. I’ve heard it’s not a fan of high speed cornering but personally it’s as I expected for a tall car.
As for charging, had the granny charger plugged in and checked it over a few hours and it seemed to average 6 miles charge an hour. I don’t know how far the low voltage will go towards this/hinder it maybe someone could shed some light if we can expect that rate to improve.
Overall very pleased with how it has been especially once lane assist was turned off! I do think we will be getting one however we never rush into anything and will stew on it whilst I continue to look into it more at the same time.
You will find the range improves the longer the journey. The battery needs to be above 20 deg C to get best performance, starting out on a cool morning will sap a bit of energy whilst the battery warms up. Something to do with internal resistance rather than active heating which kicks in at much lower temperatures. Once you have 15 to 20 miles behind you the miles per kWh will rise from 3.1 to 3.6 or so depending on how fast you drive. I achieved over 5 miles per kWh on a hot day on a winding A Road averaging 35 mph last summer, the sort of driving you do when touring. We love the car but we are not boy/girl racers. It does eat the miles comfortably on the motorway and good A roads. Sounds like granny charging will work fine for you, make sure the socket is in good condition and check it doesn’t get warm after an hour or two. A poor connection can make them melt!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So we got the car this morning. It’s a red one which I really like but the wife isn’t so keen and says black looks better. As far as economy goes I’m a bit disappointed as despite being around 10c the car returned 3.0 miles pkwh. It was brand new with 14 miles on it and a full battery when we got it and it showed a range of 143 miles. Battery voltage is showing 439v so I think from what I have read the battery’s need to be balanced which could be the reason for the bad economy.
I really like how it drives and so does the wife. I’ve heard it’s not a fan of high speed cornering but personally it’s as I expected for a tall car.
As for charging, had the granny charger plugged in and checked it over a few hours and it seemed to average 6 miles charge an hour. I don’t know how far the low voltage will go towards this/hinder it maybe someone could shed some light if we can expect that rate to improve.
Overall very pleased with how it has been especially once lane assist was turned off! I do think we will be getting one however we never rush into anything and will stew on it whilst I continue to look into it more at the same time.
First things first.
Were you in S for Sport, N for normal or E for economy Mode.
When started the default is N and Kers 3.
So start up and change to E mode, range should jump up nicely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well thank you to everyone who shred their experience and advice. We have returned the car today. Both the wife and I were very impressed with it. The economy we averaged between us was 3.2 miles pkw. This was a little lower than I was expecting. Like I said before the battery voltage was just 439 leading me to believe the batteries were not balanced as should be around 455v. The have also heard that this can have an effect on range and efficiency. Can anyone comment on this? I also used the fast charger round the corner which goes up to 50kwh but I worked out to be getting just shy of 20kwph average. Is this normal? Why was this? Could it be because the batteries weren’t balanced?
We really are hoping to order one of these but want to clarify the items above so we can make a completely informed decision for us.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,882 Posts
I also used the fast charger round the corner which goes up to 50kwh but I worked out to be getting just shy of 20kwph average. Is this normal? Why was this?
What was the state of charge at the start of the charging? You have to be at the lower end of capacity before you get a higher rate (this applies to most EV). The ambient and battery temperatures also effect charging speed. The warmer the better on both counts.

It's also a bit of a lottery when it comes to claimed rates of chargers. You will very rarely get the upper end of the claimed speed. Often it could be halved. This depends on lots and lots of all sorts of factors that you will discover by some reading in the charging forums.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the state of balance will affect the initial charging speed, but will lengthen the total time of charge as the balancing is done with very low wattages.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
372 Posts
Well thank you to everyone who shred their experience and advice. We have returned the car today. Both the wife and I were very impressed with it. The economy we averaged between us was 3.2 miles pkw. This was a little lower than I was expecting. Like I said before the battery voltage was just 439 leading me to believe the batteries were not balanced as should be around 455v. The have also heard that this can have an effect on range and efficiency. Can anyone comment on this? I also used the fast charger round the corner which goes up to 50kwh but I worked out to be getting just shy of 20kwph average. Is this normal? Why was this? Could it be because the batteries weren’t balanced?
We really are hoping to order one of these but want to clarify the items above so we can make a completely informed decision for us.
Thank you!!
A new car shouldn’t have the problematic BMS at this point unless it has been hanging around. My voltage tends to go up to 450 and I haven’t had the BMS with issues installed. The weather has been chilly this weekend so 143 might well be right as the GOM will have factored that in. Rapid charging works best in hot weather from 20% charge or less. I have only once got 45kw out of a charger on a hot evening from one blob on the meter. If most of your journeys are less than 120 miles in the day you shouldn’t have a problem. If you look at how faster long journeys are planned you aim to get to a rapid charger with about 15 to 20 miles range left just in case you need a plan B, and then charge to 60 to 80 % and get going to the next planned stop. In that way your charging rate is optimal. Given that 130 miles from start is available that takes you past 2 hours and time for coffee and loo stop. Your next stop will be about 110 miles further on. So the MG is not the ultimate car for range but it is really good enough. And you will see on the other fora, that rapid charging is coming of age. The Electric Highway is being renewed and enhanced by late summer, Ecotricity has been joined by Gridserve, BP Pulse are beginning to invest heavily, they have been advertising for electrical fitters and call handling staff for months. Swarco have taken over running Charge Place Scotland. Instavolt are installing mini hubs and always put 2 chargers in the one place anyway. Two years ago rapid charging was patchy but with a couple of exceptions, mid Wales for one, it is tons better now and 50 or more are installed every month. Think how much you would pay for a quiet cabin in an ICE car?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I wish I could comment on fast charging but so far have only used the supermarket, granny charger using solar and my 7kW OHME charger with Agile which I'll be using tonight at an average of 0.54p per kilowatt. It might be better to go and test fast charging locally but maybe nearer the time when I can actually wander off and do a bit of mileage both legally and without feeling guilty! For what it's worth my latest trip efficiency was 4mpkW but that was the M27, although I did put my foot down where the 50mph limits finished. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
What was the state of charge at the start of the charging? You have to be at the lower end of capacity before you get a higher rate (this applies to most EV). The ambient and battery temperatures also effect charging speed. The warmer the better on both counts.

It's also a bit of a lottery when it comes to claimed rates of chargers. You will very rarely get the upper end of the claimed speed. Often it could be halved. This depends on lots and lots of all sorts of factors that you will discover by some reading in the charging forums.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the state of balance will affect the initial charging speed, but will lengthen the total time of charge as the balancing is done with very low wattages.
It was at 20% when we started the charge. I don’t think it was too cold yesterday but can’t remember the exact temperature. Yeah I’ve heard that if you need to fast charge twice the second charge will be much faster as fast charging does warm up the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A new car shouldn’t have the problematic BMS at this point unless it has been hanging around. My voltage tends to go up to 450 and I haven’t had the BMS with issues installed. The weather has been chilly this weekend so 143 might well be right as the GOM will have factored that in. Rapid charging works best in hot weather from 20% charge or less. I have only once got 45kw out of a charger on a hot evening from one blob on the meter. If most of your journeys are less than 120 miles in the day you shouldn’t have a problem. If you look at how faster long journeys are planned you aim to get to a rapid charger with about 15 to 20 miles range left just in case you need a plan B, and then charge to 60 to 80 % and get going to the next planned stop. In that way your charging rate is optimal. Given that 130 miles from start is available that takes you past 2 hours and time for coffee and loo stop. Your next stop will be about 110 miles further on. So the MG is not the ultimate car for range but it is really good enough. And you will see on the other fora, that rapid charging is coming of age. The Electric Highway is being renewed and enhanced by late summer, Ecotricity has been joined by Gridserve, BP Pulse are beginning to invest heavily, they have been advertising for electrical fitters and call handling staff for months. Swarco have taken over running Charge Place Scotland. Instavolt are installing mini hubs and always put 2 chargers in the one place anyway. Two years ago rapid charging was patchy but with a couple of exceptions, mid Wales for one, it is tons better now and 50 or more are installed every month. Think how much you would pay for a quiet cabin in an ICE car?
I’ve said about the range not being a problem for this exact reason to people who have asked me if it will be enough. We have two kids one of which is a 5 month old so we will certainly be stopping regularly anyway. I’ve heard about the updates coming soon and the system is getting an overhaul which is great. I’ve read a fair few horror stories especially about Ecotricity. I love how quiet the car was and think for how much nicer a place it is to be at high speeds it’s a no brainier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I wish I could comment on fast charging but so far have only used the supermarket, granny charger using solar and my 7kW OHME charger with Agile which I'll be using tonight at an average of 0.54p per kilowatt. It might be better to go and test fast charging locally but maybe nearer the time when I can actually wander off and do a bit of mileage both legally and without feeling guilty! For what it's worth my latest trip efficiency was 4mpkW but that was the M27, although I did put my foot down where the 50mph limits finished. :)
We will be using the granny charger. We are also considering asking our landlord if we can dismantle the box where the meter is so we can get a smart meter fitted and rebuild it. We would look at octopus energy and my brother has already said he wants to refer me. I would consider the Ohme charger from there for the 200 offer. I have an electrician friend to ask yet if he can install a 32 amp cee socket to allow charging at 7kw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sorry can I ask what made you pick octopus agile? Most ev owners from what I have seen tend to go for the octopus go which has the off peak rate of 5p kw

·
Registered
173 Posts
There's no way of anyone here knowing, but a car reporting only 439V looks as though it hasn't been balanced. The voltage on a balanced battery with the new (correct) version of the BMS should be 449V. You look to have been loaned one straight off the boat...

Disregard what the GOM told you about 143 miles range. With an unbalanced battery and only 14 miles on the clock, the GOM will be off with the fairies.

Similarly, don't worry about the charge rate.. As @Neilew said, you will rarely achieve the rated output of the charge point. The ZS is apparently capable of charging up to 76kW: I charge at 50kW rapids, and tend to see somewhere around 30kW, starting from an SOC of about 45%, which is quite common for me because of the location of suitable charge points.. But I don't pay much attention to it. The charge rate falls away during charge anyway. but even the initial charge rate depends on the temperature, the SOC of the battery, the changepoint itself and its installation, and whether the little gnome inside feels like pedalling hard that day. Or so it seems.

Range. I'm sorry you were disappointed by the 3.2 m/kWh number. But I know others report it. I tend to achieve more like 3.8 to 4.0, occasionally more. I seem to get about 20% more than the numbers @MikeProcter quoted earlier in the thread. I don't know exactly why, but I suspect his right foot is heavier than mine.;) I had 236 miles pop up on the GOM last week. I've never seen it that high before and sadly I didn't have a long drive scheduled to see what I might have achieved.

Range is sensitive to weather conditions - warm and dry, good; cold and wet, bad. And to terrain. You haven't said where you are, but you will have better range ambling through The Fens of East Anglia than the hills of mid-Wales, for example. Performance is noticeably poorer on the M4 from the Severn Bridge to Swansea than it is on the rest of the M4 or indeed the M5., because of the hilly nature of the M4 in Wales.

On top of that, there is a constant tension in driving an EV between range and performance. The exact same tension exists in an ICE, but is masked by higher range. The range of an EV in the ZS EV class makes it very apparent. If you drive like the archetypal "c*ck in a an Audi", gunning it away from the lights and braking hard just short of the next guy's tailpipe, you will not get good range. If you want the best range, set KERS to 3, put the car in Eco every time you start it (the ruddy setting isn't sticky) and drive with anticipation, so that you can use the regenerative braking wherever possible, rather than the brake pedal.

I suspect that in most cases people won't achieve optimum range in an EV if they drive it like their ICE. Most people will get a better result by slowing up a little, and making sure to use regenerative braking. Sometimes that is very definitely the right thing to do, as it may save an extra charging stop on a long journey.

Those are the sorts of issues involved. Only you know if they chime with where and how you drove on your test loan. And only you know if what the car can actually deliver to you in the way you're happy driving is sufficient. I'd love a few extra miles so that I could make it to my son's, 165 miles away, in one hop. I could just about do it if I left the HVAC off, and drove very carefully, but I'd arrive with a few lonely electrons rattling around inside an empty battery. (Yes, I know that isn't how it works...) I'm old enough now that I'm happy to stop for a coffee in a three+ hour drive.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sorry can I ask what made you pick octopus agile? Most ev owners from what I have seen tend to go for the octopus go which has the off peak rate of 5p kw
As my mileage is low, certainly at the moment, I don't have to charge every night and can pick and choose when to charge as indicated in my post above: 4.5 hours at an average of 0.54p per kilowatt (if I hadn't made a mistake with my settings.:rolleyes:)..
I'm currently topping up with free solar as I speak although keeping an eye on a bank of cloud to the south west.

Agile prices have been high over the last few months which is why people have been migrating to Go, but I'm finding the exercise interesting and as my gas and electric combined D/D is £20 I've no complaints. If I didn't have 4kWp of solar panels (already ammortised I reckon) my decision might be different, but this time of year I don't import much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to go on a 400m trip Saturday with my brother, did not have enough time for 3 charging stops.
So went in his Peugeot 5008 1.6 bluehdi auto.
It was a good run @ 65mph no faster. He got 54mpg and cost £42.86.
I wish I’d had time in the schedule to go in my car, but he was in a hurry.
Would have cost half the price even on rapid chargers and been more comfortable.
Waiting for my pod-point instal, and smart meters to be fitted.
Been relying on Tesco and Lidl 7kw chargers. Plus the odd granny charge.
Slow but free.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,882 Posts
It was at 20% when we started the charge. I don’t think it was too cold yesterday but can’t remember the exact temperature. Yeah I’ve heard that if you need to fast charge twice the second charge will be much faster as fast charging does warm up the battery.
Yeah, I was at an InstaVolt charger yesterday in Shrewsbury. Which are consider pretty good for really fast charging. Came in at around the 20% mark myself. Max rate I got was around 38 kW. Put in 17.25 kW in half an hour. Approx 70 miles of range (was having a good day and achieving 4.1 m/kWh before the charge edit: see below). Not fast, but more than enough to get me home.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,882 Posts
I don't know exactly why, but I suspect his right foot is heavier than mine.
I've tried something different this week. I normally sit quite close to the steering wheel as I am very short. Just cleaned the car this week so the seat was at the longest extreme. I decided to move the seat forward until I can just get the throttle past the feeling of resistance. I can still press the brake fully down. This means that I'm feeling the throttle better and not pushing as hard on take off. I'm getting around .3 to .5 m/kWh better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Be careful if you're leaning towards the black paint. A friend of mine has one in black and his was absolutely covered in visible swirl lines after the very first wash - the paint seems very soft. He seems to get scratches from people simply brushing against the car. When his lease runs out in a couple of years I suspect he's going to be on the hook for quite a few pounds in damage charges. No such problem with our red one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thank you to everyone for their help with this. After trying to get the 520D valued a few places it seems there is much more negative equity in it than I had estimated. We are going to advertise privately to see if anyone would have it despite having to sort the finance when they come to buy it. I’m not holding my breath though.
It just probably means a few more months of ice I’m afraid.
we will go ev in a few months worst case and will again evaluate The best options at the time.
Thank you all for your time, I’m sure there will be many questions when do get one and it’s so reassuring to know the level of community there is on here 😊

21 - 38 of 38 Posts