Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel that the Power Flow display is a bit sparse?

There is lots of space... how about some figures such as current power being used or regened. there is a similar display on the Leaf that shows in dial format the current power use/regen and I miss it on the Ampera.

Sure it is pretty seeing the power flow from battery to wheel and back again but it gets a bit boring after a while!

·
Ampera Advocate
329 Posts
Paul
It appears that no one has responded to you on this for the last 5 years but it echoes my thoughts on the Power Flow. I was going to post a new item about this when I spotted yours. My query was whether anyone has a way of describing the rate of regen that you get? The Power Flow shows power being pulled from the battery when driving and then shows power going back to the battery from regen but there's no indication of the relative flow rates.

I'm not looking for totally accurate figures of the flow rates; just some feeling of the relative rates. For example, could you say that :

- accelerating from 30 mph to 40 mph, in normal mode, the rate of flow is x and
- braking from 40mph to 30 mph, the rate of regen flow is a percentage of x ?

Or perhaps there's some other way to describe the relative rate of regen power flow.

As well as agreeing with Paul that GM missed out on the chance to put more interesting info on the Power Flow display, I would have liked it if, on the "Energy Info" screen, they had mirrored the figure of estimated further battery range (from the main screen) and then added this to the miles already driven on battery power, to give you an estimated predicted total mileage for your battery mileage on that charge. I know it's only a matter of the driver adding two numbers to get this but in my view it would have been worthwhile GM doing it for us.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Paul
It appears that no one has responded to you on this for the last 5 years but it echoes my thoughts on the Power Flow. I was going to post a new item about this when I spotted yours. My query was whether anyone has a way of describing the rate of regen that you get? The Power Flow shows power being pulled from the battery when driving and then shows power going back to the battery from regen but there's no indication of the relative flow rates.

I'm not looking for totally accurate figures of the flow rates; just some feeling of the relative rates. For example, could you say that :

- accelerating from 30 mph to 40 mph, in normal mode, the rate of flow is x and
- braking from 40mph to 30 mph, the rate of regen flow is a percentage of x ?

Or perhaps there's some other way to describe the relative rate of regen power flow.

As well as agreeing with Paul that GM missed out on the chance to put more interesting info on the Power Flow display, I would have liked it if, on the "Energy Info" screen, they had mirrored the figure of estimated further battery range (from the main screen) and then added this to the miles already driven on battery power, to give you an estimated predicted total mileage for your battery mileage on that charge. I know it's only a matter of the driver adding two numbers to get this but in my view it would have been worthwhile GM doing it for us.
That info is on the dashboard already on MY13 cars onwards, just not in the central radio display.
I guess you could hack something with an ODB2 dongle, and a raspberry pi.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts