Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The charging unit will be about 5m from the house and will go underground across a path and then garden. Because we have rood panels we the advice seems t lean heavily towards the Zappi, My electrician can deal with the cable feed and he is thinking of a 40A fuse and armoured cable through a plastic pipe. He has looked to the fuse box etc. in the cellar and sees no problem with that.
What do you think.

·
Registered
540 Posts
What are your concerns? All sounds fine and the Zappi will integrate with the panels well and allow you to maximise solar use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are your concerns? All sounds fine and the Zappi will integrate with the panels well and allow you to maximise solar use.
Thank you for your reply I just wanted to see you the feeling was here about the fuse size and everything. Jimmy, our electrician, is very experienced and is interested in this new EV possibilities.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Jimmy, our electrician, is very experienced and is interested in this new EV possibilities.
He sounds like a keeper :)

40A seems fine although most would fit a 32A as the max 'take' is 7kW or so. The limitation for most people is the mains supply to the house, so unless you can provide more information about that, which I hope Jimmy has already assessed, we can't really say if it's OK or not.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Your electrician doesn't need any help in sizing cables and cant help but think that not many electricians would be relying on "fuses", All a bit odd really...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your reply I just wanted to see you the feeling was here about the fuse size and everything. Jimmy, our electrician, is very experienced and is interested in this new EV possibilities.
Your electrician doesn't need any help in sizing cables and cant help but think that not many electricians would be relying on "fuses", All a bit odd really...
I think he may have been making it simple for the layman - me.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Jimmy's surname presumably is "Sparks".

Presumably you know that any EV charging installation regardless of who instals it requires DNO notification and sometimes DNO approval.

What is your earthing arrangement at the property?

How has Jimmy assessed that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jimmy's surname presumably is "Sparks".

Presumably you know that any EV charging installation regardless of who instals it requires DNO notification and sometimes DNO approval.

What is your earthing arrangement at the property?

How has Jimmy assessed that?
Jimmy isn't going to install the unit, just the power supply because we have someone coming to re-lay and lower the path across the front of the house the power supply to the front wall needs to be co-ordinated with him.

Someone was doing some work in the house and when they checked the wiring they discovered that the house was not properly earthed which was somewhat disconcerting. A lot of the electrical installation dated back to when electricity was first installed in the 20s, in fact most of the gas fittings and pipework were still there when we moved in in 1986.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
If your wiring dates from the 1920s, earthing will be only one of your many electrical problems.

Sorry, your story sounds like a load of Bee S.

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Wiring the charging point to the house consumer unit (CU) isn't the best (or often viable) plan. To meet current regulations you need a dedicated type B (or EV) RCD. Unless your electrics are very new and have lots of space, it is unlikely to fit. Perhaps post some photos of your CU and electric meter and we can advise.

The most common way to safely install one now is to split the supply after the meter and install a mini CU for the car charger. If you get the electrician to just install the cable to an appropriate place, the charging company can usually do the rest - and will probably prefer to as they have to give certificate.

If you are installing a Zappi you will need to ensure you have separate cabling running back to tbe house for the load monitor. I would run an outdoor rated CAT6 as that provides plenty of cores for future use.

With regards to networking for the Zappi, the WIFI signal may not be good at that distance. I would run a second CAT6 and either connect the charging point to that, or install a small POE wireless access point - powered from injector in house.

Another thought. The cable laid outside should be armoured (SWA). Personally I wouldn't use T&E in conduit as it is difficult to protect when it comes up from ground, also the charging company may refuse to connect it.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Sounds like the main supply cable could potentially be very unsafe on this 1920s installation: corroded lead sheath, disintegrated main supply fuse holder, rubber insulation

Personally would get involved in advising the OP anything unless he has a proper electrical contractor on board and is working with the DNO on the supply arrangement. Only then should the EV charging be installed.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Wiring the charging point to the house consumer unit (CU) isn't the best (or often viable) plan. To meet current regulations you need a dedicated type B (or EV) RCD.
Isn't DC RCD protection normally integrated into the EVSE these days?

..and which idiot decided to call it type B when there are already A/B/C/D type tripping characteristics for overcurrent protection which could easily be confused?

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Isn't DC RCD protection normally integrated into the EVSE these days?

..and which idiot decided to call it type B when there are already A/B/C/D type tripping characteristics for overcurrent protection which could easily be confused?
Some have and some companies fit separate DC devices I believe. Howevery it would still need Type A RCD whereas most CUs have Type AC. I also think a dedicated charging RCD is a good idea to avoid nuisance trips. Our first Chargemaster (back in 2013) was wired to house RCD and it tripped occasionally. When we got second we had separate car CU installed and have gone RCBO in house.

Yeah the RCD Types was a bonkers idea and gets even worse with RCBOs as they have both charge curve and protection types!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your wiring dates from the 1920s, earthing will be only one of your many electrical problems.

Sorry, your story sounds like a load of Bee S.
No. Everything was re-done when we moved into the house in the 80s. I think it was some later person who failed to reconnect the earth. Of course I meant circuit breaker not fuse.
I think we have said enough.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Surely its extremely common for a submain to be fed from a switchfuse? Both my EV charger and my workshop in the garden are fed from 40A fuses. A properly designed installation should have good discrimination between downstream and upstream OPD's and fuses being a bit slower than MCB's are excellent for this.

Freddym you are becoming boring.
These sorts of replies are super common over on DIYNot. Its a DIY forum that happens to be full of tradesmen that seem to be out to shoot down every question with silly responses in some weird attempt to put people off or something. Anyone on there that claims they have a tradesman involved, but are asking for clarification are treated as though they're lying and fabricating some convuluted story in order to get some information. All very strange.

The funny thing is, they'll readily admit there are loads of cowboys about, but dont seem to figure out that arming yourself with some background info is a good way to avoid those cowboys.

Personally, before i had my charger fitted, i ran a 10mm^2 cable thru the house and out to the back wall. I did this because i had a ceiling removed while renovating the bathroom and decided it would be an ideal time to run the cable to save disruption later. The charge point installers were delighted that they didnt have to go house bashing and had a nice external connection point to use. At the consumer unit end i'd fitted a switchfuse (i wanted one that matched the main CU, so bought it myself rather than letting them supply it) and then let them wire up the tails and make off the 10mm cable.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
The funny thing is, they'll readily admit there are loads of cowboys about, but dont seem to figure out that arming yourself with some background info is a good way to avoid those cowboys.
And of course different rules apply when its a question about a car before it goes into a garage. Then asking is a very sensible thing to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have now spoken to an autherised installer and he recomends a 6mm armoured cable, no in a plastic tube as long as it is buried. He also said that the Zapping uses a different system than WiFi. He said that if we put the cable through leaving about 3m spare at either end that would be quite satisfactory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts