Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been driving my i3 problem free for a year. This morning pulling away from a parking area with soft touch on the power pedal to cross the pavement area the car took over and shot off at full speed across the road smashed into a sign post and was flung into adjoining main traffic route. Fortunately no passing traffic or pedestrians. This was not a case of selecting drive rather than reverse neither was it by having foot on wrong pedal. My foot was on the accelerator pedal lightly pressing and watching for any cross passing traffic. I had absolutely no control - the car "took over at full revs". Front nearside,wheel etc demolished. Could so easily have killed or been killed. How can this be explained ? How do I prevent this from happening again. I see there are a few similar occurances posted online. I would appreciate information from anyone who has experienced similar.

Super Moderator
Did you try applying the brakes? Had you been using cruise control?

Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
Scary stuff. This has always been a risk ever since they removed the physical link between the throttle pedal and the throttle body! I suppose what you're asking is really "could this have been a car fault?" Either with the throttle pedal assembly of the ECU itself. It's always possible, I guess, but very unusual type of failure because you can bet they try very hard to prevent this from happening.

Registered
That sounds like ACC resume from a standstill to me, authorising it back up to cruise speed on accelerator press. What configuration was the car in at the time?

Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
I don't think that would ever feel like full throttle, even in sport mode. It would be rather more gentle (though can be disconcerting).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts