Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eyebrows were probably all over the place reading this article I just found on The Street asking if there really is a future for electric cars. One of the opening paragraphs reads...

When considering this question, there are several key factors to take into account. First, there is the fact that you typically lose 90% of the energy when converting fossil fuel, in whatever form, to electricity. This means that powering a car by electricity produced by fossil fuel is about 10 times less efficient than powering a car directly by fossil fuel, all other things being equal.

The article does make counter points and as it's an investment/financial site it's mostly focusing on VW's recent PHEV/EV plans highlighting that the Germans are IN.

Comments are also as depressing as they often are on non-EV blogs/sites when discussing EVs and green energy. Two of the first I read were in reply to someone who powered their EV using a "green energy" company...
Until you consider the clear cuts for power transmission lines, loss of Carbon sequestration of the trees lost, mountain tops removed for wind turbines and federal subsidization for generators that show efficiency of below 20 percent when the wind blows.

That green third party is the US taxpayer being gouged so you can feel good.

It won't continue.
Don't forget the flaming birds that get toasted by arrays (they actually combust mid-air!), and the ones that get killed by the turbines! They actually have permits that allow them to kill a certain number of eagles per year along with all of the other birds.
People really do seem to believe, or want to believe that petrol and diesel spring out of the ground ready-made and the general fossil fuel and motoring industries are not subsidised.

Mind boggling.

Full story: http://www.thestreet.com/story/12853852/2/is-there-really-a-future-for-electric-cars.html

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I can't... I just... Nope. Not even going to try.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I get really dirty shoveling coal into the the boiler of my 'steamer'. There must be a better way? I wonder if Lord Kelvin can help?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mr Spiro must be a writer, not a scientist. His first "lose 90%" statement contradicts the linked Tom Murphy blog which says typ 35% of fossil energy is converted to electricity.......

....but why let the facts get in the way of a story....

·
Registered
313 Posts
"When considering this question, there are several key factors to take into account. First, there is the fact that you typically lose 90% of the energy when converting fossil fuel, in whatever form, to electricity. This means that powering a car by electricity produced by fossil fuel is about 10 times less efficient than powering a car directly by fossil fuel, all other things being equal."
For that to be true powering a car with fossil fuel would need to be 100% efficient and that's patently untrue. I look forward to a fossil-fuelled engine that doesn't make more heat than torque.

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
"When considering this question, there are several key factors to take into account. First, there is the fact that you typically lose 90% of the energy when converting fossil fuel, in whatever form, to electricity. This means that powering a car by electricity produced by fossil fuel is about 10 times less efficient than powering a car directly by fossil fuel, all other things being equal."
For that to be true powering a car with fossil fuel would need to be 100% efficient and that's patently untrue. I look forward to a fossil-fuelled engine that doesn't make more heat than torque.
Toyota are going for just over 40% for the next Prius, so we might see it by the end of the decade :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's utter bolleaux wrtten by

I am a semi-retired investor mainly trading equities & bonds. Most of my career was spent as an investment analyst in the front office of a private banking house In Geneva. Prior to that I worked for the Emerging Markets desk of a major banking house in London. Now that I'm retired, I write mainly about my lifelong interest, which is science and biology. I now live in Cyprus, on the periphery of the EU taking up the financial chaos from all sides.
a complete shamateur.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Well, my hobby is cycling, although I wouldn't wish to give anyone advice about racing. I did beat Mark Cavendish to lunch once, though.

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
Or closer to home bunsfield at Hemel Hempstead. I have a mate in Luton who thought his Windows were coming in and that's about 10 miles away

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
The only way in which I can imagine someone performing the calculations on a coal fired power station, pumping out all that nasty carbon right into the atmosphere.
And the lead, and the mercury, and the particulate matter, and and and....

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
I do believe must of these posts are made by PR bots so no longer argue with them. I read an article about them once explaining how they are used. Basically they have thousands of accounts on social media sites from all different walks of life. They get enough general posts in to make them appear a contributing member. And then rent them out to companies who want to influence public opinion by making such nonsense comments as above. They can cross post the same message in hundreds of forums regularly enough to get a message across like "electric cars cause more pollution than ICE". Its bound to get picked up by someone who doesn't check the facts or does but it points a link back to their PR agenccy fake blog.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts