Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
No doubt. Power line networking has been unreliable and prone to interfere with other stuff since inception. There’s a reason it’s not marketed heavily anymore - better alternatives exist now.

Reactions: PeterG

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
like? I dont have an MG or similar problem, but I'd be very interested in a non powerline alternative that doesn't involve wifi repeaters as they always cause my devices to randomly drop their connections at inconvenient moments

·
Registered
2018 BMW 330E Msport (returned) MG ZS EV currently
15 Posts
A good quality mesh network will provide far more reliable WiFi than extenders and won’t (well shouldn’t and don’t in my case) affect the ZS charging, I have Netgear Orbis (RBK50 with 3 satellites) dotted about the house and give me pretty much max speed on my virgin bb connection all across the house and garden (350mb)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just added a response in to the article. For me I've not found it an issue, but as I note in my response this could be that we have a second consumer unit that connects to the charger and sockets in the garage and this may well be providing a ring fence for any interference. The house was also re-wired 2 years ago, again that may be a factor that is keeping this form being an issue for me in our 200+ year old house.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
My mobile coverage locally is poor and I've had a few problems with charging the Leaf and connecting to it with the various versions of Nissan Connect (which is unreliable anyway).

I've fitted ferrite clamps to both ends of each charging cable to give me the best chance of it working. Tricky to get clamps with a large enough internal diameter, but they are available on ebay. They are dirt cheap and just clip on over the cable, so no reason not to do it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My mobile coverage locally is poor and I've had a few problems with charging the Leaf and connecting to it with the various versions of Nissan Connect (which is unreliable anyway).

I've fitted ferrite clamps to both ends of each charging cable to give me the best chance of it working. Tricky to get clamps with a large enough internal diameter, but they are available on ebay. They are dirt cheap and just clip on over the cable, so no reason not to do it.
Well done that man! Some common mode filtering as provided by those ferrite clamps can't do any harm and could well be helpful for anyone experiencing some strange charging anomalies...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Yes - Ethernet, WiFi repeaters, a proper network...

·
Paracetamol Pete
5 Posts
I am puzzled by this, as the control line to the charge point only runs at 1000hz, so is this a problem only with charge points that have some form of remote control?

I have a number of powerline adapters, and they are excellent, and much more secure than wifi. I even have one in my garage that is on the same 4mm twin and earth as my charge point, but I have a dumb old Rolec box

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi all

I have had a Rolec smart charger installation for a year now for my MG zs ev. I have it modified to link into my home network to control timed charging and it has all been working wel and very reliably.

Two days ago however I found that the car had not charged as expected overnight and I discovered that the Rolec charger was constantly switching off and on in a seemingly random fashion. I reset everything and tried several times but the random disconnect kept continuing . I began to think that there was a problem with the main CB inside the Rolec unit after having read stories of overheating CB's.

I decided to contact Rolec support who were very good and logged into my unit remotely. Anyhow ,to cut the story short, it turns out that it is interference from my TP power link network.
I was aware that people had been having problems with MG's connected to houses using powerline connectors but I have been using them for a long time without any car charging issues.

I have reengaged my powerline system and the charging problem has not returned (Yet!).... I am intrigued as to why this problem would suddenly develop and will now try and investigate what exactly causes this issue. I am trying changing some powerline settings to see if that has any affect. If anyone else has found out something I would be interested to hear.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Have you found any conclusive improvements after fitting the clamps?

I am about to try the same idea

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure that is correct because the single wire control line just uses a simple 12v, 9 v or 6v to communicate with any charger to determine connection and ready status. I don't think there is any high frequency digital communications going on....but maybe I'm wrong .

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Not sure that is correct because the single wire control line just uses a simple 12v, 9 v or 6v to communicate with any charger to determine connection and ready status. I don't think there is any high frequency digital communications going on....but maybe I'm wrong .
That's SAE J1772 or its copycat standards for AC charging.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts