Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The a version of the PW2 that can power the house in the event of a power cut is over £1000 more than the version that cannot. Does anyone know if there are any other differences? Anyone have any suggestions as to why it is so much more expensive? It seems a lot extra.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I think the only difference between the backup-capable and non backup-capable powerwalls is the gateway; the box that accompanies the powerwall.

I didn't realise they still did the non-backup-capable gateway. Can anyone else clarify?

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry to be a powerwall fanboy
If you have a powerwall 2, it would have notified you that it has charged from the grid knowing there is a storm coming tomorrow (storm Ciara)
Ready to provide power if there is a blackout.
How cool is that?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The a version of the PW2 that can power the house in the event of a power cut is over £1000 more than the version that cannot. Does anyone know if there are any other differences? Anyone have any suggestions as to why it is so much more expensive? It seems a lot extra.
In order for any backup system to power the house during a power cut, the 'street' supply to the circuits being fed from the powerwall must be disconnected so that you are not trying to power the rest of the street (and for the safety of any DNO staff working to repair the fault)!!. This requires that you have a heavy duty (automatic) switch for the isolation, and a means of ensuring that when the 'street' supply is restored the powerwall output and the 'street' supply are in phase (synchronised) before the the supply from the street is reconnected.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love my Tesla power wall. A other benfit is your solar panels continue working Durning a black out. Where if you don't have it they will stop working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts