Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice please from all you Amperites. I activated the Pre-Con around 40 mins before setting off for work this morming and was surprised to see:
- Headlights and taillights come on for around 5 mins.....(I think I've fixed that - they were set on 'Auto')
- Power consumption (on our domestic household meter) rise to around 4.5KW.

That's some pretty hefty current it was pulling. The lights shouldn't be take much, the Air-con was set to 19C (it was around 14C outside), so can't be much there and the Seat heaters were on Auto. So, where is all the current going? And is it worth it? Do you get more range pre-conditioning, or should I just save if for cold and frosty mornings or hot and humid days?

Did I read on an earlier thread that (even charging on 10A), the current drawn for pre-conditioning is more than can be taken via the cable, so it ends up discharging the battery too?

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I only use 1 10min preheat before I leave unless its really cold where I'll go 2x10 mins. I have never needed 4 runs for 40 mins!
Pre heat should warm the fluids in the car for both the battery temperatures and the cabin heating system as well as screen heaters and seat heaters..
Because you ask it to use mains it'll also ensure the battery is full topped up (full16A) it may be 6 hours or more since it stopped charging..

·
Registered
116 Posts
I only use 1 10min preheat before I leave unless its really cold where I'll go 2x10 mins. I have never needed 4 runs for 40 mins!
I thought it wouldn't do more than 2 preheats, but I haven't tried it - I read it somewhere (might even have been the manual :eek:!)

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only did one Pre-con, but left it 30 mins after to top up the charge (in case it was drawing more current than it could get via the re-charge cable). Does the pre heat of the batteries make any difference? Has anyone tried with / without and seen any difference?

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
I am not sure that it makes much of a difference to the batteries, but my wife (she says its her car) won't ever let us have a car in the future that she can't per heat from the warmth of the lounge. As far as she is concerned it is one of the best feature in the winter

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have used the pre-heat on cold and warm days and I can see no noticeable difference between using it and not using it with respect to range so I no longer use it at all to help with range. I do use it to warm up the car and de-ice but that is all.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have used the pre-heat on cold and warm days and I can see no noticeable difference between using it and not using it with respect to range so I no longer use it at all to help with range. I do use it to warm up the car and de-ice but that is all.
Yes, that's how I use it as well.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Does the pre heat of the batteries make any difference? Has anyone tried with / without and seen any difference?
I think it does make a difference in very cold weather (near sub zero) I would estimate that I have achieved 4-5 miles more range when preheating verses not heating. of course preheating in sub zero can mean engine heating. but an engine is very good a wasting energy as heat!
I have not noticed any range difference with or without preheat above 8C.

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
I only tried it once, with a delayed charge. Didn't have a lot of luck, so haven't bothered since.
You will figure it out come winter, no more standing on the drive with an ice scarper and a can of de ice, get into a nice warm cabin with a clear screen.:p

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
You will figure it out come winter, no more standing on the drive with an ice scarper and a can of de ice, get into a nice warm cabin with a clear screen.:p
Sadly my car chargers on a public charging station overnight, which is 1.2km away from home (I measured it last week!) so unless the delayed charge and pre conditioning is consistent, I will have already done a long walk in the cold to get to a cold and uncharged car ! (That's what happened last time.....)

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
Sadly my car chargers on a public charging station overnight, which is 1.2km away from home (I measured it last week!) so unless the delayed charge and pre conditioning is consistent, I will have already done a long walk in the cold to get to a cold and uncharged car ! (That's what happened last time.....)
Not sure if it works over here yet but in the states you can control the pre heat from your smart phone

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
T
Not sure if it works over here yet but in the states you can control the pre heat from your smart phone
that uses the Onstar mobile link I believe, which isn't available in Europe..not in the uk anyway.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
T

that uses the Onstar mobile link I believe, which isn't available in Europe..not in the uk anyway.
Thats what I thought, but I heard about a year ago that someone was working on a European version.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I really wouldn't use delayed charge on a public post that's just asking for trouble. Some posts will shut off if the car does not take power pretty much straight away....Preheat only works within range of the key fob!
The departure time setting in the car does nothing! (ok, I concede, it will cause 4 beeps if you plug in to charge with not enough time remaining! - obviously that's a really useful feature, as it lets me start the time machine up. so it can charge fully.)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I really wouldn't use delayed charge on a public post that's just asking for trouble. Some posts will shut off if the car does not take power pretty much straight away....Preheat only works within range of the key fob!
The departure time setting in the car does nothing! (ok, I concede, it will cause 4 beeps if you plug in to charge with not enough time remaining! - obviously that's a really useful feature, as it lets me start the time machine up. so it can charge fully.)
That explains why it didn't work then !
Will consign that to the bad idea's pile ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts