Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’ve had my GTE about 2 weeks now and as the weather is getting colder I decided to try the pre heat function in the e manager. It’s my understanding that it preheats the car to desired temp whilst it’s on charge to save the battery, is this correct?

I leave for work at 7:15. Set my departure time to that. And set the temp to HI.
Got in the car this morning and it was cold.
Have I got settings wrong? Many thanks.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,866 Posts
Don't set it to high. Set a temp, which is comfortable, 23degC for example.

As far as why it did not preheat, couple of questions:
  • how are you charging the car? grany or EVSE? 10 or 16amp?
  • if you have to leave at 7:15, maybe set the timer for 7:10?
  • if your charger is not connected, there was an option in the car, to make it possible to heat using the battery.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Make sure for the departure time you turn on the heat setting! By default it only charges.

Nothing wrong with using 'HI' if you want the best window-defrost effect. The power of the charging appliance however does limit it. On my granny charger it can't get to the highest temperature over 30 minutes. But on the 3.3kW one it can do so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't set it to high. Set a temp, which is comfortable, 23degC for example.

As far as why it did not preheat, couple of questions:
  • how are you charging the car? grany or EVSE? 10 or 16amp?
  • if you have to leave at 7:15, maybe set the timer for 7:10?
  • if your charger is not connected, there was an option in the car, to make it possible to heat using the battery.
Make sure for the departure time you turn on the heat setting! By default it only charges.

Nothing wrong with using 'HI' if you want the best window-defrost effect. The power of the charging appliance however does limit it. On my granny charger it can't get to the highest temperature over 30 minutes. But on the 3.3kW one it can do so.
Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty sure I turned on the heat setting. I will double check tonight. I only charge the via the granny so may adjust the heat temp down to see if it works better.

·
Registered
2018 vw golf gte
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty sure I turned on the heat setting. I will double check tonight. I only charge the via the granny so may adjust the heat temp down to see if it works better.
did it work? I'm getting my GTE next Friday and i want to use it right away, i can only use the granny charger so i hope it works on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did it work? I'm getting my GTE next Friday and i want to use it right away, i can only use the granny charger so i hope it works on that.
Unfortunately not, I kinda gave up trying to be honest and just turn the heaters on as soon as I get in although it does hammer the battery range. It works if the car isn’t on charge so can only assume there’s not enough amperage to charge & heat using the granny. I still might be doing something wrong though but haven’t really messed on anymore with it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
No problem heating my car using the granny charger, though I use the app to start it.

I find that delayed charging on the granny charger doesn't work. I suspect the granny charger goes into a standby state so car doesn't try to start charging. The delayed charging is probably only intended for a wall box annoyingly. But, it does at least work when triggered via the app.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Unfortunately not, I kinda gave up trying to be honest and just turn the heaters on as soon as I get in although it does hammer the battery range. It works if the car isn’t on charge so can only assume there’s not enough amperage to charge & heat using the granny. I still might be doing something wrong though but haven’t really messed on anymore with it.
You need to set a departure then it will charge the battery and heat the cabin ready for you to jump into. That's if you have a regular departure time....if not just charge it as soon as you get home and use the app the heat the cabin 10 minutes before you're going to drive it.
It won't charge and heat simultaneously, not with the granny anyway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello. I’ve had my GTE about 2 weeks now and as the weather is getting colder I decided to try the pre heat function in the e manager. It’s my understanding that it preheats the car to desired temp whilst it’s on charge to save the battery, is this correct?

I leave for work at 7:15. Set my departure time to that. And set the temp to HI.
Got in the car this morning and it was cold.
Have I got settings wrong? Many thanks.
I leave at 6.40 give or take a couple of minutes. Car is timed to leave at 6.35 and I know it's heating well before that time, probably 10-15 minutes when really cold. It's still heating when I get into it even though I'm "late".
Temperature is 23 C and has to be set in the car menu or the app.
Failing that, when you get up, just hit the app and check air conditioning ON. That'll do it.
(I have to do that when I've forgotten I've switched off the departure time for some reason!)
Also, I always connect and charge immediately I get home in the evening so it's already full when heating is demanded in the morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts