Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone meaured the pre-heat power consumption, i'm only seeing 1.3 Kw, when pre-heat completes the car begins charging at 3Kw. I'd expect to see 1.8Kw ( battery heater ) and another 1 Kw for cabin heat etc

Thoughts?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,550 Posts
I don't know about exact figures but when mine is on a pre-heat, unfortunately just finished it here, my Owl shows around 33p/hour for the whole house and now that the pre-heat has finished it has dropped to 6.2p/hour. Whilst it was winding down I checked the power and it was showing 1.7kW but, as I say, that was it on the wind-down and for the whole house.

·
Member of Members
227 Posts
I double pre-conditioned this morning.
My powerwall reports that 3Kw was being drawn when I started, and lasted for 30mins, then droped to 1.2kw for 5 mins.
The Zappi reported that total draw was 1.65Kwh

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The heater within the Ampera can consume upto 6kW. This is easily seen on post 2013 cars using the power meter.

However, the car can only draw 3kW from the post, so on a preheat it will draw from the battery too, so it's useful to give a buffer between a preheat and starting your journey if you can.

That said, only the first preheat tends to take full power, so do that maybe 40 minutes before you leave and then another top-up 15 minutes before.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I've measured it twice it's and extra 6 minutes charging.
Maths sugesst 3.3kw x 0.2666= 495wh?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts