Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first post so please forgive me if this is a well known issue, but I've had a good search and can only find a few people making reference to using the granny charger for pre heating.

I've had my 2015 Golf GTE for almost 2 weeks and I love it, after reading several threads in slightly worried about the reliability and cost of some repairs given the 83k mileage, but it does still have 6 months dealership warranty remaining. Charging both ends of my journey I am comfortably commuting 17 miles each way to work and back on pure electric. I would love an e-golf but they are well over my budget currently especially when I'm using the GTE as an electric vehicle most of the time, plus its got the sporty looks and style. I would only end up spending money trying to get the e-golf to look like a GTE increasing costs even further.

I have done quite a bit of research and fully understand how the e- manager works. Unfortunately after checking with VW my car doesn't have the right hardware to allow me to communicate with it via car-net or we connect so I just have built in e-manager option for pre heating and scheduling.

I live in the Lake District where temperatures tend to be quite low and it rains most of the time so pre heating is a must for me. I have it all setup the way I would like it to work I can see 30 minutes before departure time the car starts demanding power from the mains. The AC light illuminates and the heater gets warm. The problem is fans don't really blow. You can put your hands in front of the heaters and feel its nice and hot but the airflow is like an asthmatic ant!

I have tried several settings but always see the same results a barely warm car after 30 minutes, I have had the allow climate via battery both selected and deselected. Thinking the battery may help boost and get the fans going, but it made no difference.

I have tried making sure the battery is 100% charged prior to the heating demand in case there wasn't enough power from the charger to heat the car at the same time as charge the battery again same result.

I have tried doing 3 pre heats in a row 30 minutes after each other with the battery at 100% and climate allowed to use the battery. Again car never gets hot, the heaters are hot tub there's just no pressure or power from the fan to distribute the heat.

Even if I just put the car on with it plugged into the mains and turn the heater up and fan up manually it never gets warm. This does make the fan at least blow powerful but it's barely lukewarm. Until i unplug from the mains and just have the car running on the battery, suddenly I've got red hot air pouring at me this at least tells me the car is capable of generating full power red hot air without the use of the ICE! Obviously though this reduces the potential mileage considerably, making the whole process of pre heating pointless.

What this is making me think is that the mains supply is not providing enough power to fuel the heating and fans when using the granny charger? I have tried this with 2 different granny chargers (both genuine vw) with the same results. Is this a known issue or should it work on the granny charger?

Do I need to upgrade to a 16A or 32A wall charger to see the benefits?

Have others seen similar results/ found a soliton?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,176 Posts
Try visiting a local 3kW/7kW charge post, plug in there and set up a climate timer. See if you can get more heat out of it.

I know that with most EVs, the preconditioning takes more power than a Granny cable can supply, so you end up losing a few percent on the battery sometimes. It still works however.

It could be a limitation on your car to slightly warm it and nothing else, or it could be a power limitation like you suggest.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try visiting a local 3kW/7kW charge post, plug in there and set up a climate timer. See if you can get more heat out of it.

I know that with most EVs, the preconditioning takes more power than a Granny cable can supply, so you end up losing a few percent on the battery sometimes. It still works however.

It could be a limitation on your car to slightly warm it and nothing else, or it could be a power limitation like you suggest.
Yeah this was my plan at some point to do a bit of testing. Charge points around here are limited but I think Sainsburys have a charge point so may take a drive out. Plug in and e what the heaters will do running on mains power. Thanks

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
I used to pre-heat mine both plugged into a granny and from just the car traction battery when unplugged and it worked fine with plenty of air from the vents.

What is your fan set to in the climate menu? If you press the Menu button on the central round knob between the climate temp setting knobs, you can select fan strength for the climate.

Where are you in the Lake District? Love it up there, go as often as I can, the frequent rain is one of the best things about it! 👍

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to pre-heat mine both plugged into a granny and from just the car traction battery when unplugged and it worked fine with plenty of air from the vents.

What is your fan set to in the climate menu? If you press the Menu button on the central round knob between the climate temp setting knobs, you can select fan strength for the climate.

Where are you in the Lake District? Love it up there, go as often as I can, the frequent rain is one of the best things about it! 👍
I don't know what the climate is set to in that menu can't say I've adjusted it. I tend to keep the climate on just a single notch when driving on ev. I possibly wrongly assumed the driving fan setting and the pre heat were not related and the car would just adjust the fan setting when attempting to warm the cabin. I'll take a look at that menu when I'm next in the car though.

I live just outside the Lake District now in a small village called Endmoor, its about 5 minutes from junction 36 from the M6. I grew up in Crook though and spent most of my youth around Windermere. It may be the most popular part of the Lake District but I'm sure you'll agree its not the nicest part, too busy! There's some lovely places up here windermere and bowness just tend to be where everyone gathers. Oh also I have no issues with rain either we wouldn't have the Lake District of we didn't have the rain, but it is nice to have a warm car to get into when it's raining

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
I don't know what the climate is set to in that menu can't say I've adjusted it. I tend to keep the climate on just a single notch when driving on ev. I possibly wrongly assumed the driving fan setting and the pre heat were not related and the car would just adjust the fan setting when attempting to warm the cabin. I'll take a look at that menu when I'm next in the car though.

I live just outside the Lake District now in a small village called Endmoor, its about 5 minutes from junction 36 from the M6. I grew up in Crook though and spent most of my youth around Windermere. It may be the most popular part of the Lake District but I'm sure you'll agree its not the nicest part, too busy! There's some lovely places up here windermere and bowness just tend to be where everyone gathers. Oh also I have no issues with rain either we wouldn't have the Lake District of we didn't have the rain, but it is nice to have a warm car to get into when it's raining
Yeah, I’m not sure that menu is connected to your issue either, I just remember setting it to low or min once, and the fan speed was poor.

I’ve got friends who live on the Pennine foothills and you can see the Lakes mountains from their house. Lovely spot, and the Pennines aren’t bad either!

Totally agree about the honey pot thing with the Lake District, but that’s part of the charm too, something for everybody.

I spent a lot of time with the GTE in the Lakes, many happy memories, and it was noticing the proliferation of electric car charge points that made me think the e-Golf would work for me too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just hit the menu button and can confirm it is set to "strong" so not sure that's the issue.

I'm hoping that it is just a lack of power issue from the granny charger as that's not a cheap but simple enough fix with a proper wall charger. It's not something I need as such but I've caught the bug and I know my next car with be electric so a 7kw wouldn't be a waste of money as such.

Yeah other than some of the larger hills electric cars work very well in this area with the large amount of slower moving a and b roads we have

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm hoping that it is just a lack of power issue from the granny charger as that's not a cheap but simple enough fix with a proper wall charger. It's not something I need as such but I've caught the bug and I know my next car with be electric so a 7kw wouldn't be a waste of money as such.
I charged my car for 1.5 years on the Granny charger before we got a POD Point at home and there was a definite difference in the cabin temperature, the latter being hotter in the winter. There was a post on this forum where someone mentioned setting sequential departure times to double heat the car but not sure if this works.

If you do go for a wall box and you have the GTE then you’ll have to limit the power to 3.7kw as this is the maximum it can charge at. Apparently our POD Point is 7kw ready, just needing a small hardware change for when we go BEV.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
If you do go for a wall box and you have the GTE then you’ll have to limit the power to 3.7kw as this is the maximum it can charge at.
The car will only take from the wall box what it can use, so you don’t need to limit the wall box at all.

My GTE used to be plugged into a 7kw Rolec at home, and of course all the public charging posts, the majority of which are over 3.7kw.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As mentioned above I have tried sequential heating but it made no real difference.

I'm glad to hear you feel the pod point made a difference though that's promising to hear!

As mentioned above I'm aware the car will just use as much charge as it can take from any type 2 charger

·
Registered
559 Posts
I used the granny charger for a while before getting a wall charger and don' t recall the preheat being poor, but at the time preheat was such a novelty I may not have noticed.

Mine is a wee bit newer than yours so may be different. I have fan set to auto on the control knob.

Do you have any photos of your settings in eManager?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the granny charger for a while before getting a wall charger and don' t recall the preheat being poor, but at the time preheat was such a novelty I may not have noticed.

Mine is a wee bit newer than yours so may be different. I have fan set to auto on the control knob.

Do you have any photos of your settings in eManager?
Hmmm well I don't know then if preheating was working perfectly on the granny charger for you.

See below my settings:

Main menu:

Basic settings: (I have ticked and unticked battery makes no difference when plugged in, I have also tried different temperature and minium battery charge levels)

Departure time and settings 1:

Charge locations:

Home location settings: (I have had charging selected as well made no difference other than delaying the charge)

I have the battery charge to 100% as I need all the charge to get to work

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I would certainly go for the 32 Amp wall box.
It’s a better long term solution than using the Granny unit anyway.
I used the Granny for the first seven months of ownership, but then had a dedicated wall box fitted.
The Granny got retired to the wall of the garage, unless we travelled to a location where the public charging was poor, then we gave it a trip out !.
The long term use and therefore longevity of a Granny unit failure has been well documented on the forum.
The OEM unit is not cheap to replace outside of the warranty.
If you are getting the OLEV grant to install a wall box, then the price of a replacement OEM Granny ( should you require one ) would go a long way in covering the cost of a wall box install.
Then you will have two methods of charging car in the event of one failing for some reason.
If you are pretty sure your next car is likely to be a BEV - then why wait until your Granny fails, install a wall box to lengthen the life span of the Granny !.
This was the theory I adopted very quickly after I took delivery of my GTE over 4 years ago.
Now charging my BEV on the same wall box installed way back then.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I just did a little test leaving the air conditioning on battery ticked, set a schedule to heat the car and unplugged the mains power granny charger. As expected the car was red hot inside at the departure time. This indicates to me that functionally there is nothing wrong with the car or settings the granny charger just can't keep up!

Time to shell out £550 for a tethered pod point OLEV install!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Time to shell out £550 for a tethered pod point OLEV install!
Great shout, get it booked Rob !.
I LOVE the magic defrost facility on the GTE and my current BEV.
No more of that scrapping of the glass when it gets really cold, jumping into a toasty warm car in the winter is feature that you never get tired of believe me.
The cabin heats up SO fast you only need it on for about 5 mins.
Being able to heat the cabin and retain your range by still being plugged in is great facility, but to be totally honest, I would live with losing the range to gain a nice warm car to get into if I had to.
My GTE had the winter pack with the heated seats.
Just pop out to the car that had been parked on the drive in middle of winter.
Boot up the car and hit the heating and heated seats, return to the car in five minutes and drive away while watching the other folks in the street still scrapping away at their windows.
White smoke billowing from the exhaust pipes, while running the ICE trying to warm up the cabin in vain attempt to gain some heat while wasting fuel and creating toxic emissions.
I do NOT miss that at all !.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great shout, get it booked Rob !.
I LOVE the magic defrost facility on the GTE and my current BEV.
No more of that scrapping of the glass when it gets really cold, jumping into a toasty warm car in the winter is feature that you never get tired of believe me.
The cabin heats up SO fast you only need it on for about 5 mins.
Being able to heat the cabin and retain your range by still being plugged in is great facility, but to be totally honest, I would live with losing the range to gain a nice warm car to get into if I had to.
My GTE had the winter pack with the heated seats.
Just pop out to the car that had been parked on the drive in middle of winter.
Boot up the car and hit the heating and heated seats, return to the car in five minutes and drive away while watching the other folks in the street still scrapping away at their windows.
White smoke billowing from the exhaust pipes, while running the ICE trying to warm up the cabin in vain attempt to gain some heat while wasting fuel and creating toxic emissions.
I do NOT miss that at all !.
I'll get a pod point sorted either way but just as an experiment I may go for a drive to Sainsburys tomorrow, plug in and see if I can replicate the same red hot cabin with a mains power like I achieved today on battery.

I ensure the GTE i bought had heated seats too which is a must for me especially when the power usage is so minimal. Only thing I wish it had was a heated screen and steering wheel. Would massively reduce the need for blowing hot air to demist the screen and keep the range.

So far all but having a play in GTE mode has been on electric and there's not a single thing I miss about burning oil! I would happily switch to an E-Golf tomorrow i just can't justify the extra cost and lack of style currently. When they come down in cost slightly and I can afford both the car, a nice set of wheels (willing to loose the range) and a few styling charges to replicate the GTE i can see the next car being the E-Golf.

I guess I am using the GTE as a bit of a stepping stone, not because I'm scared of going full electric or have range anxiety because I don't. (I'm far too organised to worry about range I'll put things in place to ensure I don't forget to charge such as smartthings notifications if it doesn't sense the charging draw before I go to bed.)

It's just because the only full electric car i can justify the cost of currently is the original leaf which doesn't tick enough boxes for me in other areas for me. The E-Golf is a very difficult car to beat from what I've seen i just wish they did a sporty version from factory!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,324 Posts
I can’t remember, but can you change the charge power settings on the GTE granny brick using the arrows? Is it set to max Amps, ie 10A?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can’t remember, but can you change the charge power settings on the GTE granny brick using the arrows? Is it set to max Amps, ie 10A?
No there's no adjustment on the granny charger from VW. I actually have 2 Granny chargers both genuine as I bought a 2nd 1 on ebay for a very reasonable price brand new last week. This was just easier than moving my 1 from home to and from work every day which was time consuming. With a charger either end life was just much simpler. The heating however suffers the same issue on both chargers, even with the work 1 being brand new it's still not up to the job.

Possibly the later cars got a more efficient heater setup that allowed them to heat better from mains? I imagine my car was a very early build

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
From memory I think you need to set AC on somewhere for it to work, which sounds wrong when you want heating. I had the same but once I found the setting it worked and never touched it again. Also check the departure settings. It took me a while to get it working. The granny charger has three settings, I'll dig out the manual for it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts